LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Coilover Spring Rates..

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-08, 01:21 PM
DieLaughin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover Spring Rates..

Im looking for information about some coilovers. Mainly Concering spring rates.

I've been doing some research to decide which coilover will be best for me and my 96' Ls400.

Im looking for a coilover with a spring rate that will help me gain a Sporty
feel without loosing comfort. Im hoping to retain a somewhat smooth ride. I understand that anything i buy wont be as smooth as factory.. Thats fine.

Now, i found some coilovers that have different spring rates at random places online..
Id like to know how these different spring rates i have found will change the feel of the vehicle:

-Megan Street LP (12k Front / 10k Rear)
-Megan Street LP (10k Front / 8k Rear)

-Megan Luxury Series (16k Front 12k Rear)

-Ksport Coilover (18k Front / 7k Rear)
-Ksport Coilover (18k Front / 9k Rear)

-JIC FLT-TAR (12k Front / 9k Rear)

-JIC FLT-TAR VIP (14k Front / 7k Rear)

Im sure there are custom springs available at different rates.

What i would like a better understand of is... How will the changes in these spring rates change the ride of the vehicle.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-24-08, 11:40 PM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stiffer spring rate=stiffer ride if this is what you asking.
Old 12-25-08, 08:48 AM
DieLaughin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand that logic but, as an example.. which is stiffer:

12k / 9k
or
14k / 7k

..Im just curious as to how changing the combination of rates will affect the ride.
Old 12-25-08, 10:50 AM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

i believe you can dial understeer and overster by getting different spring for the front and the rear.
and if i'm not wrong, you will get more of a balance setup for the 12k/9k than the second setup.
Old 12-26-08, 06:55 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems logical the 12k/9k will balance out better also. The JIC though I do not know as much about versus the Megans. Many members have Megans and like them because of lowering and price. Ryan has them and drives his cross country and likes the comfort.

Last edited by steveski; 12-26-08 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-26-08, 05:05 PM
billj747
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JIC is MUCH better quality than Megan.

JIC is involved in many motorsports from Road Racing, Time Attack, and Drifting. JIC has a lot more R&D and engingeering in their products than Megan.

Old 12-26-08, 06:22 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by billj747
JIC is MUCH better quality than Megan.

JIC is involved in many motorsports from Road Racing, Time Attack, and Drifting. JIC has a lot more R&D and engingeering in their products than Megan.

wow, you made a post that is both irrelevant to the OP and has no supporting fact.

you sir, get a free goat.
Old 12-26-08, 06:38 PM
billj747
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
wow, you made a post that is both irrelevant to the OP and has no supporting fact.

you sir, get a free goat.
Higher quality and better damping characteristics.

Lowspeed and highspeed damping characteristics greatly affect ride quality and comfort (as well as performance) moreso than just spring rates. JIC products are higher quality and also have better damping characteristics than Megan. By controlling the spring better without 'shocking'/upsetting the car, you can get away with (more comfort/better ride quality) higher rates on a better-valved damper than poor valving on a lower spring rate.

FLT-AR (FLT-A2) 12k / 9k -their performance damper would probably get my vote in terms of ride quality than the FLT-AR VIP 14k / 7k. The VIP was designed for a "Slammed" operating range, if you aren't going to lower your car that much, go with the FLT-AR.

I think the VIP series is 2K higher in the front to compensate for geometry problems and a loss of roll resistance due to compromised roll centers for the "Slammed" look.

Do they even have a FLT-AR application for the 91-94 LS400? On JIC's website I just saw the FLT-AR VIP and FLT-FAS VIP - a twin tube (vs. the AR's monotube).

Better elaboration PureDrifter?
The following users liked this post:
Diwill05 (04-25-22)
Old 12-26-08, 08:51 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Higher quality and better damping characteristics.

Lowspeed and highspeed damping characteristics greatly affect ride quality and comfort (as well as performance) moreso than just spring rates. JIC products are higher quality and also have better damping characteristics than Megan. By controlling the spring better without 'shocking'/upsetting the car, you can get away with (more comfort/better ride quality) higher rates on a better-valved damper than poor valving on a lower spring rate.

FLT-AR (FLT-A2) 12k / 9k -their performance damper would probably get my vote in terms of ride quality than the FLT-AR VIP 14k / 7k. The VIP was designed for a "Slammed" operating range, if you aren't going to lower your car that much, go with the FLT-AR.

I think the VIP series is 2K higher in the front to compensate for geometry problems and a loss of roll resistance due to compromised roll centers for the "Slammed" look.

Do they even have a FLT-AR application for the 91-94 LS400? On JIC's website I just saw the FLT-AR VIP and FLT-FAS VIP - a twin tube (vs. the AR's monotube).

Better elaboration PureDrifter?
better, but didnt explain what damping is to all the readers now scratching their heads
Old 12-26-08, 09:14 PM
billj747
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
better, but didnt explain what damping is to all the readers now scratching their heads
Why don't you explain it "O'Fangio of the Forum..."
The following users liked this post:
Diwill05 (04-24-22)
Old 12-26-08, 11:27 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Why don't you explain it "O'Fangio of the Forum..."
i already have in the past, you get to search
Old 12-26-08, 11:37 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally i would get tein CS's ,they drive very smooth and work well for most on ramp racers.

I think JIC makes a crap product and will pissss on them any chance i get for not wanting to support their own product when it breaks and i am willing to pay to fix them.
Old 12-27-08, 07:49 PM
illcelsior
Driver

I've had no problems with JIC products. Including the FLT-A2 that are on my LS400. If you ask JIC they can supply a different spring. I have 14/10 or 16/12 on these, I cannot recall at the moment.

Spring rates don't tell the entire story. Dampening is more crucial in my opinion. The JIC are dampened well for the higher spring rates.

Originally Posted by skperformance
I think JIC makes a crap product and will pissss on them any chance i get for not wanting to support their own product when it breaks and i am willing to pay to fix them.

That sucks, man! Why wouldn't JIC over haul the component?
Old 12-27-08, 11:49 PM
billj747
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by illcelsior
I've had no problems with JIC products. Including the FLT-A2 that are on my LS400. If you ask JIC they can supply a different spring. I have 14/10 or 16/12 on these, I cannot recall at the moment.

Spring rates don't tell the entire story. Dampening is more crucial in my opinion. The JIC damping works well for the higher spring rates.
+1 I have had FLT-A2s on various cars work well for 20-30K+ before selling the cars.

Fixed it for you
Old 12-28-08, 11:56 AM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

hahhahahaha, i have JIC magic, and you donnnnn't. but no seriously, the $2500 JIC that i got rides so smooth, but in the same time, it makes my LS handle much better than stock air bag.