LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Questions about replacing timing belt on '99 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-08, 04:46 AM
AZ Mike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about replacing timing belt on '99 LS400

My '99 LS400 has a mere 63,000 miles, but is "in service" for 9.5 years. I am going to be putting a lot more miles on it than I have been, and am planning to replace the timing belt as I have exceeded the time interval by 3.5 years (even though I have not hit 90K miles).

Based on what I have read, it sounds as though these are all recommended replacements while you are in that far, even if they have not failed/show signs of wear yet:
1) timing belt
2) idler pulleys
3) tensioner
4) front crank seal (cam seals apparently are a totally different beast than on earlier year models)
5) thermostat
6) water pump
7) serpentine belt

Am I overlooking anything?

Other than the fact that my model does not have distributor/plug wires, is this tutorial the same/similar for a '99?: http://www.lextreme.com/timing.htm

What is the best/cheapest source for a factory service manual and/or access to pages for this maintenance?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-08, 09:59 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Me thinks you have it covered.
Old 12-24-08, 10:34 AM
AZ Mike
Driver School Candidate

Is the linked tutorial pretty accurate for a '99?
Old 12-27-08, 07:46 AM
AZ Mike
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone have, or is anyone aware of a DIY yourself tutorial for the timing belt on the '98-'00 LS400? How much different is it then the linked tutorial for a '96?
Old 12-28-08, 12:54 PM
Hils400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AZ Mike
Does anyone have, or is anyone aware of a DIY yourself tutorial for the timing belt on the '98-'00 LS400? How much different is it then the linked tutorial for a '96?
It is pretty close. It is not a hard job, but it is a long job. Take your time and keep track of your parts. Good luck.
Old 12-28-08, 11:38 PM
AZ Mike
Driver School Candidate

I thought I read something about o-ring replacement in another DIY tutorial, which was probably for 1st generation. Does that apply for a '99, and if so, which parts are the o-rings on?

What type of RTV is used to install the water pump? Is it a Lexus RTV, or is it Permatex? If Permatex, which one? They have a high temp (red tube); high temp 02 sensor safe (orange tube); waterpump/t-stat (silver tube).

Is there a gasket for the t-stat, or do you use RTV? If there is a gasket, does it come with the t-stat, or is it a separate part?
Old 12-29-08, 12:07 PM
Vander
Driver

I use permatex silver tube for waterpumps. Also there is a rubber gasket that goes around the thermostat. It is separate.
Old 01-03-09, 04:43 PM
Hils400
Driver School Candidate

Here is the installation from Toyota. Sorry. I have been busy. HTH.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
timing belt installation.pdf (263.1 KB, 758 views)
Old 01-08-09, 05:30 PM
AZ Mike
Driver School Candidate

I will be tackling the timing belt on Saturday. I have seen mention of o-rings when replacing the timing belt. What o-rings need to be replaced?

Also, is a small (0.5 oz) tube of Permatex water pump sealant enough for the job, or do I need the larger tube?
Old 01-10-09, 07:43 PM
AZ Mike
Driver School Candidate

Service manual says that fan bracket is held on by two bolts and two nuts. I removed those four, and it isn't budging. I removed another adjacent bolt, and still nothing. Are there fasteners that I am not aware of, or is there ever corrosion adhesion, or what other tips do I need to break the fan bracket loose?
Old 01-12-09, 09:33 AM
atoyot
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, sorry no help here for you.

I do look forward to your attempt as i am almost in the same boat (my 00' just turned 50,000 miles).

Please post back up anything that you found tricky or any tips.

thanks,
Old 01-12-09, 11:10 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i'll check my OEM manual later if you don't have one.
Old 01-12-09, 11:20 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

the fan itself was pretty easy to remove, the fan clutch was a PITA to take out...are you trying to remove the fan and the clutch or just the fan?
Old 01-12-09, 11:35 AM
bicol-ini
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you havent taken out the two bolts that hold the AC compressor, then thats what is holding the fan bracket, go back check the FSM on removing the AC compressor, also you dont have to remove the compressor just the two that holds the bracket, there will be one more bolt holding the AC to the engine so youre ok,
Old 01-12-09, 06:46 PM
AZ Mike
Driver School Candidate

LiCelsior -- I had no difficulties at all removing the fan blade and the fan clutch. It is the fan bracket that I found confusing. On the fan clutch, I just used 2 wrenches, using one nut to break the others free, then used one of the free nuts to loosen the 4th.

bicol-ini -- Thank you! That is probably the exact advice that I need! I will go take a look tonight and see if that does it for me.

a-toyot -- I haven't been documenting this with photos....perhaps I will take photos on the way out. Neither belt looks that bad, but being 3.5 years past the time interval was making me nervous. There was quite a bit of ground rubber under the timing belt covers. I am just going to replace all of the typical parts.....timing belt, idler pulleys, tensioner, water pump, tstat, serp belt, etc. and hope to not have to dig in that far again for another 6 years or so. Other than the fan bracket, everything else has been pretty easy....just following the service manual.

Is it necessary to remove/move/remove bolts from the alternator, too? I think the manual said to remove it, but if I only have to remove bolts, all the better.

Quick Reply: Questions about replacing timing belt on '99 LS400