LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1996 Lexus LS400 Stereo Install - Wiring Info + Diagrams

Old 12-14-10, 01:33 PM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone know how to wire to have the amp working?
Old 04-13-11, 12:17 AM
ARCHIVES
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

is there any other way then this , cause i thinking about all new every thing front to back take it all out
Old 04-13-11, 04:54 AM
gambooby
Rookie

Does these work with all double dins? Like if i wanna put an eclipse double din?
Old 04-13-11, 09:52 AM
emarknot
Pole Position

Originally Posted by akitomk3
does anyone know how to wire to have the amp working?

hi...new guy here......you can wire the aftermarket head unit to run the stock amp. i did it to my 91 with the nak system. you can splice the antena wire and amp on wire together either at the wire harness pigtail either at the radio side, or, at the amp pigtail. THIS IS ONLY FOR THE NAK SYSTEM. you then can run the stock amp, BUT I MUST WARN YOU.......you will lose about half of the sub/amp audio power output !!!!!.. and by this i mean.....with the stock radio, the sub sounds really decent, with an aftermarket h/u, the outputt is there, but at half the output volume. so you actually get more bass from the stock radio vs aftermarket. the nak radio seems to have a relay integrated in the headunit to add more volume/power to the sub.

i spent a week trying to figureall this out. so to get more bass, i installed a 400 watt amp and just wired it into the amp pigtail and it pushes my 12 just fine.

one other option for the nak system.......if the stock radio and amp work just fine, you can simply wire a sub into the amp pigtail. just cut the green wires at the pigtail, these go to the stock sub output. and hook up to a bigger sub. wont be the most impressive thing you heard, but its a low budget option.

and yes, i did run it like this for about a week.
and with this option, be sure to remove the stock sub from its location to allow the bass into the cabin so you can hear ir.

im working on a write up for the nak system, but it wont be up for a couple of days.....like saturday/Sunday

hope this helped in some way
Old 06-21-11, 01:28 AM
dundee18
4th Gear

Default No sound to front speakers

Neither set of front speakers in my ls400 (1996) are working. Back and subwoofer work fine. I used the attached diagram to splice the front speakers into the rear speakers (i.e. using the wires shown in the green connector). Not sure if it was wise or not. Still no sound from the front speakers but back still working fine, so something else obviously needs done. I think it is a standard pioneer amp under the front seat.

I was wondering if there is separate power going to the speakers but don't know. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone for looking.
Charlie

Originally Posted by cnewman402
Hello Community:

Recently I bought a CD/DVD/GPS Radio for my car. I thought it would be a simple task, go grab an install kit, and a harness.... nope. I searched everywhere for solutions and read thread after thread trying to figure out what to do!

After 2 days of research and analysis I have came to what I think is a proper way of installing an aftermarket radio into a 1996 Ls 400. I have a lot of information here so lets start....

First off my original specs:
1996 LS400
Original Lexus Deck (Tape Player) Made by Pioneer Electronics.
Lexus Amplifier (Located under passenger seat)
7 speakers total
-Sub
-All four doors
-2 tweeters in Front doors

The way the speakers run in the 96 are similar to the other generations. The tweeter comes off of the front door speakers. The speakers in the door are Pioneer 2 Ohm speakers, which should sound fine in any aftermarket deck.

In order to remove your old deck:
  1. Start by prying on the backside of the shifting panel to loosen the two back clips (near the cup holder, spring it secure).
  2. Lift on the rear of the panel to release the two mid clips near the mid of the panel.
  3. Place the car in Low gear(1) and apply E-Brake.
  4. Pull the panel with ashtray towards you (back) in order to free the top clips.
  5. Disconnect the clips and remove (Hey clean while your in there! )
  6. Remove the vents/clock/temp gauge by inserting a thin pry tool at the
  7. lower edge and pulling out one side then the other.
  8. Disconnect connectors and remove vent and controls.
  9. Remove two exposed screws from top of AC control bracket.
  10. Remove two exposed screws from below car stereo. (not the small ones the ones the same mm size)
  11. Pull car stereo and AC control forward.
  12. Disconnect all connectors from AC control and car stereo along with antenna.

GOOD GOOD... now you got the stereo out, congrats with the easy part!

Now install your deck into its install kit. I used one from Metra model #99-8153. This is a single din install kit. You will actually install your A/C unit into this kit. It works well and replaces the entire factory bracket and fits snug into place for a secure holding.

Power the new deck:
In order to get power into your new deck you will want to splice into the factory plug near the deck. I supplied from plug R 3C upfront. If you observe the plugs you will see one of the gray plugs that has 14 pin slots but only 10 to 12 wires used ( plugs normally are labeled with factory imprint). This plug has a Lavender wire with a Yellow stripe. It is pin No. 1 and this can be your hot wire. You may use Pin No. 14 which is Brown for your ground(Ground 2) from the same plug.

More Information about this Procedure:

Unfortunately you can not use your SUB anymore after this. I have read ways to, but I feel they are a waste because this procedure by-passes the amp so it is pre-amp, honestly how many watts is your deck.

Your going to use wiring diagrams in order to run wires directly from your deck to the speaker wiring junction where the amp is located and connect hardwire them before they enter the amp. This is easier then running all new wires I feel, and takes advantage of the already installed factory wire.

The wiring diagram is listed at the bottom of this post. It is called If1rap96.pdf (You need a pdf reader to view it. Adobe is free but bloatware I suggest Foxit PDF reader its fast, free, and has less ware on your processor.

In order to access your amp....

If its under the seat go to passenger rear door and look down, you will see a plastic molding at the edge of the seat (Move the seat all the way forward up right) The molding has two squares on it, remove these with a pry tool and remove the two Phillips screws. Now the amp wiring is exposed.

CONGRATS.

1996 Lexus LS400 Amplifire Wiring Information

What you see here is 4 plugs pictured below

These are the four plugs pictured from left to right when you expose the amp plugs.

Connector Plugs Descriptions:
S10 B: White
S11 C: Gray
S12 D: Green
S13 A: Orange

Connector Pin Assignments:

Warning: These pins are my interpretation of the diagram. Please view and double check all information.

Pins:
1- Brown/Black - Ground
2- N/A
3- White - Front Right +
4- Red - Rear Left +
5- Yellow – Rear Right -
6- Pink/Blue – Amp +
7- Black - Beep
8- Red- Front Right -
9- White – front Left -
10- Black – Front Left +
11- Shielded - Signal Ground 1 (goes to CD/Radio Player)
12- Brown/Red Signal Ground 2 (goes to CD/Radio Player)
13- Green – Rear Left -
14- Green – Rear Right –

Pins:
1- Light Green/Black – Woofer + (WOOFER POSITIVE)
2- Light Green / Red – Woofer – (WOOFER NEGATIVE)
3- N/A
4- Brown/Yellow – Signal Ground 4 (to Disc changer)
5- Brown/White – Ground2 (to disc changer)
6- N/A
7- N/A
8- N/A
9- N/A
10- N/A
11- Light Green – CAP+ (to disc changer)
12- Violet – CAP – (to disc changer)
13- N/A
14- N/A

1- Light Green – Front Right + (RIGHT FRONT SPEAKER)
2- Pink – Front Left + (LEFT FRONT SPEAKER)
3- N/A
4- Red – Rear Right + (Rear Door)(RIGHT REAR DOOR SPEAKER)
5- Black – RL+ to Telephone (Rear Door)(LEFT REAR DOOR SPEAKER)
6- Light Blue? – Front Right –(RIGHT FRONT SPEAKER)
7- Violet – Front Left – (LEFT FRONT SPEAKER)
8- N/A
9- N/A
10- N/A
11- N/A
12- White – Rear Right –(Rear Door)(RIGHT REAR DOOR)
13- Yellow – Right Left Negative (Rear Door) (LEFT REAR DOOR)

Pins:
1- Brown – Ground 4 (to CD Player)
2- Lavender/Yellow +B1 (to CD changer) Radio No. 1 fuse 20A
3- Shielded – Signal Ground 3 (to CD Player)
4- Brown – Ground 5 (to CD Player)
5- Lavender/Yellow –B2 (to CD player)
6- Gray – ACC1 – Radio No. 2 fuse (7.5A)
7- Light Blue – Mute (to CD Player)
8- White – HAP - (to CD Player)
9- Black – HAP + (to CD Player)

In order to run the deck preamp your going to splice into sets of wires on this amp. warning this is a long task be prepared. I bought some small suitable gauge wire from the store and went to work measuring the length I need and a little more for room to work with. The main wires you want to focus on are listed in order below.

The main plug you work with is the GREEN plug S12-D.
(You will notice positive and negative are vertically flush)
Left Front
Positive: Pink/Pin 2
Negative: Violet/Pin 7

Right Front
Positive: Light Green/Pin 1
Negative: Light Blue/Pin 6

Left Rear
Positive: Black/Pin 5
Negative: Yellow/Pin 13

Right Rear
Positive: Red/Pin 4
Negative: White/Pin 12

These are your speakers you will need to hardwire directly to your new unit. Remember to work around your seat position rail when installing the wires. I did not go beneath carpet for my install but, I had minimal wire appearance. I went directly from my amp location, underneath my seat rail, to the mid-console, to the din.

Note: The door speakers in this Lexus factory are also 3 holed speakers, inside of a custom speaker din designed by Lexus. Be sure to check measurements before ordering speakers. Max size should be 5.25". Max depth I would guess 3 to 4.5" tops.

Wiring Diagrams (pdf format)-
Wiring Diagrams-
Radio/CD Changer/Amp: http://www.mediafire.com/file/n2ygzzmzf53/lf1rap96.pdf
Antenna: http://www.mediafire.com/file/zn3jmijmujm/antenna.pdf
Telephone (If needed): http://www.mediafire.com/file/21hoo1hlyha/telephone.pdf
Old 09-23-11, 11:54 AM
daweeze02
Pit Crew

Can I use this same diagram on a 99?
Old 09-26-11, 03:17 AM
edtbjon
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daweeze02
Well, if you have a standard Pioneer (i.e. not Nakamichi) audio only system without navigation the wireing should be the same. (I have a phone in My car which can be seen in the diagrams, if I remember them correctly.)
//Björn
Old 09-26-11, 07:24 AM
daweeze02
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by edtbjon
Well, if you have a standard Pioneer (i.e. not Nakamichi) audio only system without navigation the wireing should be the same. (I have a phone in My car which can be seen in the diagrams, if I remember them correctly.)
//Björn

Yea its pioneer no nav, thanks
Old 09-26-11, 12:20 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by daweeze02
I posted diagrams for both the 2000 LS400 Pioneer and Nakamichi systems at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-x930bt-2.html

The diagrams will work for 1998 through 2000 LS400.
Old 09-26-11, 12:30 PM
daweeze02
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Kansas
I posted diagrams for both the 2000 LS400 Pioneer and Nakamichi systems at https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-x930bt-2.html

The diagrams will work for 1998 through 2000 LS400.
Thank you thank you thank you
Old 04-05-12, 12:04 PM
idriveals4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexkost
You are making this much to complicated and you need is to locate the 12v power and antenna turn on wires, tap off antenna in trunk for your amp turn-on , tap into speakers under pas seat, run RCA's down the top of trans hump , run amp wire from battery throught large AC boot behind glove box down under side carpet throught a number of holes behind rear seat.
I'm curious where this turn on at the antenna is, perhaps what color the wire is? Does anyone have pictures? If I tap into this will it also turn on the amp if I use the CD player or tape player?

I'm looking to just add a sub amp to the factory system and I just can't figure out what wire to tap into for the amp turn on. I have a 96 with non-nak radio.
Old 04-30-12, 05:24 PM
Traviswag7
Driver School Candidate

Default Help me

Ok, I replaced the fuel filter a few days ago, and when I hooked back up the fuel PUMP its completely fried my RIGHT REAR DOME LIGHT FUSE (Under the hood.) I mean when I pulled the fuse out, it brought a nice chunk of the fuse panel with it. And now, my radio only works when I am in park. I need to know what to do, besides replacing the fuse panel. Also, My "OPEN DOOR" dash light stays on, despite all the doors being closed, and all the little problems that come with that (NO alarm, Lights staying on in the Car, etc.) I would really appreciate If someone c ould help me and/ or tell me what volt and amps I need to reroute power directly from the battery to the radio; Assuming that the problem is the power wire shorts when I throw it in gear.
Old 04-16-13, 09:54 PM
shalani
Driver School Candidate

someone please help me... I have a 96 ls400
everything nakamichi ...
I have a new sub that im going to put in the trunk and an amp as well..
im attatching a radio converter to the nakamichi wiring... I really need a diagram bad... their are so many wires...
the one at the top looks somewhat right but I don't see a green plug...
please help...
Old 09-24-13, 08:26 PM
LEXUSA400
Rookie

THREAD REVIVAL!

What do the HAP+, HAP-, CAP+ and CAP- do? If I keep the OE head unit but replace the amplifier under the passenger seat, will the head unit and CD player still work?
Old 09-24-13, 09:20 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUSA400
THREAD REVIVAL!

What do the HAP+, HAP-, CAP+ and CAP- do? If I keep the OE head unit but replace the amplifier under the passenger seat, will the head unit and CD player still work?
I highly doubt that the CD player will continue to function.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 Lexus LS400 Stereo Install - Wiring Info + Diagrams