LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Frozen Windshield Washer Fluid??

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-08, 08:27 PM
TheBigGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frozen Windshield Washer Fluid??

i have done my research and there are no answers =X... my windshield washer fluid keeps freezing on me when it gets below 20 degrees or so.. at first i thought it was my washer motor but the very next day it was 30-35 degrees and it started working again.. parked it over night outside and woke up to it being frozen again..

the next time it was able to spray washer fluid, i emptied the tank and refilled it with some of those de-icer (or watever u call it) washer fluid hoping it would not freeze again, yet it did the very next night..

usually i would think running the engine in normal operating temperature for 30 minutes or more would thaw out the system but i noticed that our washer tanks are in the far front corner of the car and the hose(s) run inside the fender..

so, could this really be a weak washer motor that freezes up when it gets too cold or does the washer fluid actually freeze?? i opened the hose connection at the hood and found no water or ice inside..

remember that i live in MN where they loooovveee salting the roads which means realllyyy dirty windshields!! any solutions to this?? help help
Old 12-07-08, 09:07 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't think it's a weak washer motor, it's more of the fluid, lines and nozzels are frozen.

- Also -

I wished our batteries were better insualted like the VWs where it's enclosed in a box thus reducing the direct blast of cold air etc.
Old 12-07-08, 09:49 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i thought they made special types of washer fluid for extreme cold climates?
Old 12-08-08, 12:26 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You have either summer fluid with a normal freezing point , or you have some cheap person pouring water in you fluid tank.
The motor is not the problem you fluid is.
Old 12-08-08, 05:02 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

yea i tried to use it today to spray someone that was tailing me....but nothing came out of the nozzles lol. also how do u unclog the nozzle? i have one that doesnt spray.
Old 12-08-08, 05:53 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

put some 100% rubbing alcohol in it.....run some through the lines and ur done! dont know the exact mixture u should use but this will cure ur problem
Old 12-08-08, 11:08 AM
shadowless
Driver School Candidate

use de-icer washer fluid, they sell it just about everywhere. this stuff will not freeze and itll help clear ice off your windows.

also to clear out your nozzles with a sewing needle into the jets. and while the needle is in there you can redirect your spray (atleast on most cars ) to where you desire.

if that doesnt work and nothing comes out.... disconnect the hoses to the nozzles and see if fluid comes out. do one side at a time and make sure theres good flow squirting not trickling out. if all is good but the jets are weak, there may be corrosion or a larger blockage in the jet and now you can figure out what washers you want to put in!

hope this helps!
Old 12-08-08, 11:57 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
yea i tried to use it today to spray someone that was tailing me....but nothing came out of the nozzles lol. also how do u unclog the nozzle? i have one that doesnt spray.
you know, if you really get fed up, the nozzles from most later models lexus cars will fit right in. the ones with the MUCH better spray pattern, just gotta have them painted. they are pretty cheap, i would do it if i ever had to
Old 12-08-08, 10:41 PM
TheBigGuy
Driver School Candidate

-de-icer washer fluid was used and it still froze
-i disconnected the hose connection at the hood, the one you can see when you open the hood at the top right corner of the engine bay when facing the car and there was no fluid coming out at all

on another note, i was able to spray the washer fluid today possibly because it was 25+ degrees and snowing

i will check the nozzles when it gets frozen again and see if they are plugged..

thanks for all your suggestions..

Last edited by TheBigGuy; 12-08-08 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-17-08, 09:14 AM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any luck working this out? I've got the same issue and am in MN.
Mine sits in a heated garage all night, but by the time I get 10 miles down the road I can't use the front or rear washers. Really frustrating. 21 years of car ownership and never have I had a washer freeze like this does.
I first tried the standard blue fluid that says it stays fluid until 25 below zero. I then moved to the yellow de-icer type. Both froze.
I've got a call in to Lexus of Maplewood, but I'm hesitant to go if they are just going to thaw it out and say "bad fluid" please pay $100 for the diagnosis.
Old 12-17-08, 09:37 AM
Midengtoy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine froze also. Only the driver side...the only side I need too. Great.
Old 12-17-08, 01:17 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

looks like mine was mixed with water...good thing its snowy/ rainy over here so i can just keep spraying it. but i did unclog one of them using the needle trick...but pointing them is another story since i keep bending the damn needle.
Old 12-17-08, 05:39 PM
Lugnut
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, you'll need more wintery fluid. The Rain-X de-icer orange stuff is great.

Last time I had my system freeze up like that, I just pulled the hose off the pump that goes to the nozzles and pumped til the tank was dry, then fill up with the good orange super duper minus 90 miracle fluid.
Old 12-17-08, 06:08 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

yea rain x makes good stuff. gonna empty mine out then pour in some new stuff.
Old 12-18-08, 08:01 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think what's happening for you guys who use the winter formula right now is that it's being mixed with what was already in your reservoir; the summer formula. just like gas and octane, when you mix it, it averages.
drain everything out of the tank. (pull the motor out and let it all run out) then refill with winter formula. if that still freezes, they may be lying as to how low it will go without freezing. get some fuel system anti freeze. make sure i'ts the pure alcohol kind. pour that in with the winter mix. done.

Quick Reply: Frozen Windshield Washer Fluid??