LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Anyone else have these problems??

Old 12-06-08, 10:25 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Anyone else have these problems??

Just have a question and was wondering if anyone else is having this issue. My 92LS has this affliction that I can't seem to figure out. When I start the car from a cold start (car sitting more than 4+ hours), I have a CEL which pops up on the dash. This light will stay on for approx 5 minutes and then turn itself off. The only time this light comes on like this is if the car is sitting for more than 4 hours, every other time, starts right up,,no lights nothing!!! I have reset the ecu in the car, b/c when I am on the road I unhook my battery and the car is normally sitting at least a week. My guess would be that I may need new O2 sensors, but not sure. What are you guy's thoughts?

***Second annoyance!! Still have the stock radio, saving to replace it for something a lil better. Anyway, once I start the car the radio will not come on/power up for 15 minutes or better (after 2+ hours of sitting), but it does still work once it does decide to grace me with it's presence. My thought is it is on it's way out, and since it is the original I can't be mad at it. Also my CD changer does not work anymore. Will eject the cd cartridge, but displays nothing but an ERR message when trying to get it to play. I planned on replacing it anyway soon, just wanted to get as much use out of it as I can. Opinions welcomed
Old 12-06-08, 05:39 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure about your CEL, but yes, it sounds like your radio is going out. I do not have the problem (yet) on my 91' LS400, but my old 90' LS400 was fine until one winter. When the interior of the car dropped below 40°, it would take a few minutes for it to come on.... then it got to where the car had to be warmer and warmer on the inside before the radio would work - then it got to where it would not come on at all. Obviously a common problem on these. As mentioned - not a problem on my current LS - YET.

Originally Posted by trukn1

***Second annoyance!! Still have the stock radio, saving to replace it for something a lil better. Anyway, once I start the car the radio will not come on/power up for 15 minutes or better (after 2+ hours of sitting), but it does still work once it does decide to grace me with it's presence. My thought is it is on it's way out, and since it is the original I can't be mad at it. Also my CD changer does not work anymore. Will eject the cd cartridge, but displays nothing but an ERR message when trying to get it to play. I planned on replacing it anyway soon, just wanted to get as much use out of it as I can. Opinions welcomed
Old 12-07-08, 12:18 AM
sonbum1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The radio problem probably a connection. there are a group of wires that conect the main housing of the stereo to the face plate. they are connected by a "ribbon" (it is a flat peice of plasticwith wies running through it) over time from temprature exposure the "ribbon" peels back when it is cold and lays flat when it is warm (cold it disconnects warm ir connects) at least that what it was on my car. If you have the knack you can fix it wth a piece of scootch tape if your willing to take it apart.
Old 12-07-08, 06:30 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

jump the two terminals on the diag box and see what codes u r getting....its probably ur 02 sensors
Old 12-07-08, 07:10 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Radio,,, not really gona worry about it too much. Replacing soon and I am not in my car too much for the delay to bother me. was just wondering.
jump the two terminals on the diag box and see what codes u r getting....its probably ur 02 sensors
Did that,, did not show any codes at all; even when the light was on. Gonna try a few more times to see if it will trip something; maybe I am not doing something right. O2 sensors are my guess too. Don't know when they were changed last, and it probably is about time to do so. Couldn't hurt any.
Old 12-07-08, 08:27 AM
python
Lexus Champion

make sure to get denso 02's! dont use bosch, i had 2 go bad on me, and i just put em in.....
Old 12-07-08, 12:56 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Cool, I pretty much use mostly all Denso parts. Am planing on changing all 4 of them.

Thanks for the opinions guys!!
Old 12-11-08, 05:18 AM
python
Lexus Champion

no need to change all 4...the ones in the rear only tell u how the cats are doing
if u do change all 4 u can get to them through an access panel under the seats i believe