LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

A little something for the engineers among us... Could this actually work...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-08, 10:09 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default A little something for the engineers among us... Could this actually work...

So we start by checking out this website.

I got my hands on one of these today. No, I didn't pay for it. I wouldn't even buy oil additives let alone spend money on something like this. A buddy of mine who owns a performance shop is considering carrying them so he gave me one of the samples to test.

I was sceptical of the concept of it adding an ac charge to the electrical system; the effect it could have on the car's electronics concerned me.

I connected it this afternoon and immediately checked the car's electonics to make sure there were no obvious anomolies and drove around a bit since. I'm in a 94 by the way.

I do have to say, I don't know if it's psychological but it seems to have done something. My car had that typical hesitation when power was suddenly demanded but that seems to have disappeared. It also seems more...stable under acceleration; seems to climb through the RPM easier.

At one point I was stopped at a light, preloaded to 2000 rpm and when I released the traction control actually came on to cut me off. That has NEVER happened before since I owned this car.

What I remembered after driving with it was the part where they mentioned that it helps to increase ignition success rate ie prevent misfires.

I haven't done any mileage testing yet (this product is meant to be focused on fuel savings) but after experiencing the apparent change in power delivery, I'm looking foward to seeing if it does do anything to gas mileage.

I dont normally even look at stuff like this, in fact I'm still sceptical but I have to admit that it does feel like something has changed since I put it on.

I'll keep you guys updated about the gas mileage. I'm doing a fill up tomorrow.

My last test was done 2 weeks ago and yielded 21 mpg with about 250 of my 630km being highway.
Old 10-25-08, 11:06 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

take it off, throw a basic ground kit to increase the electrical grounding, and give it a whirl.
Old 10-25-08, 11:27 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The theory is good in regards to the battery being sulfated as higher voltage in AC voltage spikes will break off the sulphur on the lead plates and make them accept and vie charges.

If you have a hesitation before and this helped with it then it is good but only a band aid to fix the problem. Find the exact solution for the hesitation .

I agree with a ground kit as every car should have them after 3-5 years old and then replaced every few years as well as they do age.
Old 10-26-08, 09:30 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats a good grounding kit? Just some cheapo off of eBay? Where are good grounding points, and how many should be done?
Old 10-26-08, 09:59 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i'm interested as well. I'm on my own pursuit of cheap perfection. My LS sounds better by the day! (slowly replacing parts and fluids)
Old 10-26-08, 12:19 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

pretty much, most of those ebay grounding kits are decent, just avoid the ones that look thin.

i MIGHT have a couple spare sets sitting around in my garage, il hafta check
Old 10-26-08, 12:30 PM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
most of those ebay grounding kits are decent, just avoid the ones that look thin.
can you name one example off ebay that you think is a good kit? Thank you PD
Old 10-26-08, 01:16 PM
Zero_One
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

There are several Japanese companies that have been making Earthing kits (grounding) and voltage stabilizer kits for a few years like Buddy Club, HKS, Sun, Apex'i... Buddy Club makes a good product. It is a voltage stabilizer and grounding kit in one.

This is from the Buddy club site:

"Utilizing the latest racing technology the Buddy Club Racing Spec Condenser combined an electrical grounding system with a battery current and voltage stabilization control unit. The unit is designed to stabilize electrical "noise" and voltage spikes and offer additional grounding for any vehicles.

Buddy Club Racing Spec Condenser maximizes the efficiency of all factory and aftermarket vehicle electrical systems and as the result you will get smoother engine operation, more efficient electrical component operation, improved electrical current and better fuel economy.

Buddy Club Racing Spec Condenser will work with most other aftermarket ground system and it is a great addition to any high HP force induction vehicles.

-2 in 1 designed off both Grounding and Stabilize voltage
-Improve Horse power and torque
-Improve Fuel Economy
-Smooth idling with improve engine response
-Improve all electrical component performance
-Improve battery life"

Old 10-26-08, 01:30 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

and before u ask where u can get these, im sure at least ONE of our vendors carry the brands Zero One listed.
Old 10-26-08, 01:47 PM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it really necessary to pay +$100 for a grounding kit though???
Old 10-26-08, 02:42 PM
Zero_One
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jcrome04
Is it really necessary to pay +$100 for a grounding kit though???
The buddy club kit isnt just a grounding kit so the price is higher. Beware, a lot of the no name kits on ebay are just cheap kits with parts and wire that will rust or corrode. So be careful what you get. Many of those cheap kits are just thrown together to make a sell.
Old 10-26-08, 04:03 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

The buddy club kit and others that are multiple point grounds and a stabilizer is a waste of money like all the other ones with supposed stabilizers and buffers.
It in actual fact is about $10 worth of wire and a fancy box that hols a 1/4 farad capacitor inside that cost $5 .
It is a nice package and you can then stick a buddy club sticker on the side of your car. The idea is a good one as it works but $100-200 i have seen these go for are a waste when you can build the same kit using a 1 farad $50 cap and $20 of higher end copper wire for less and it is more functional by 4 times .
The other point is to just spend $20 on wires form a stereo shop and some gold connectors and install in 30 minutes.
Old 10-26-08, 07:55 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

somebody do a write up... i'm super interested!!!
Old 10-27-08, 05:30 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

a write up on what?
Old 10-27-08, 07:17 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skperformance
a write up on what?
I think Omarg is talking about a writeup on how to make your own stabilizer box similar to the Buddy Club and install the whole system.

I'd be interested, I've heard about this but haven't really dont anything with it. Those stock grounding wires are REALLY SUPER thin and it's always bugged me.

Quick Reply: A little something for the engineers among us... Could this actually work...