LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Cracked plastic key case for '98 LS~

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-08, 03:29 PM
Lex-luger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Cracked plastic key case for '98 LS~

..so I have to start by thanking the many repliers and members of this club last time I came on here (for help replacing my headlights on my '98 LS 400), I got both headlights replaced with even nicer/brighter lights and installed for about $160.00 dollars!) You guys rock, are very knowledgable about your Lexus', and I appreciate it. If anyone wants to know what kind of bulbs I bought (got a pair brand new for $60.00 bucks) or where I got the install done (Driven Autosport in Everett, the guy who runs/owns is it awesome and knows what he is doing, did it in about an hour, and even got the residue/oxidation off of my headlight covers...), just ask and I'd be happy to provide the information I have.

So my girlfriend went to open my trunk 2 days ago and came back with a cracked plastic casing that houses the ignition key as well as the panic button, lock/unlock button and trunk release (wish she would have used that trunk button!). My question is, are there any other options other than getting a completely new key replacment (which is from what I understand b/w $200-300 dollars, ouch!)? In particular, can I just get a new plastic casing/housing for the key and keep the metal key as well as the little chip/battery the housing keeps protected; if so does anyone know how much that would be? Any options, ideas or other ways to go would be much appreciated. As it is, my key still works pefectly fine (actually the buttons are much more responsive, weird...), but the I have to be real gentle or the whole thing will break! Please and thanks~Lex-Luger
Old 09-24-08, 03:47 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

My thought is get a new key carefully disassemble and just use the new case. I was going to do this but the dealer warrantied the key which my son used as a screwdriver. You could always try e-bay for a key to rebuild though I heard good and bad. IMHO go to the dealer price a key at parts and then price service to do it all.
If you are really want to take a shot at it get some super glue and glue it back together then reassemble the whole assembly and see what happens.
I hold an opinion try to fix it yourself always remember it was broke to begin with if you do not succeed. (IE: Took a CD player apart removed dirt particle works ever since. New one $300 repair $100 min. my cost nothing)
Old 09-24-08, 04:02 PM
Lex-luger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by herbvdh
My thought is get a new key carefully disassemble and just use the new case. I was going to do this but the dealer warrantied the key which my son used as a screwdriver. You could always try e-bay for a key to rebuild though I heard good and bad. IMHO go to the dealer price a key at parts and then price service to do it all.
If you are really want to take a shot at it get some super glue and glue it back together then reassemble the whole assembly and see what happens.
I hold an opinion try to fix it yourself always remember it was broke to begin with if you do not succeed. (IE: Took a CD player apart removed dirt particle works ever since. New one $300 repair $100 min. my cost nothing)
...much thanks, that's exactly what I am thinking: to carefully disassemble it....superglue the cracked piece, let it sit/bond, and then put it back togther see how much mileage I can get out of that. I'm going to go to the dealer either way, but I wanted to get on here to see what others know or might say/suggest. Thanks again....

and to others, keep'em coming!!!~Lex-Luger