LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

need help on a "few" things....

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-02, 06:00 PM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking need help on a "few" things....

hopefully ya'll could help me out or direct me as to where i can find info on the following things:

-deactivate my factory alarm system and replace it with a new alarm system

-why won't my keyless entry key work? is there a battery for it? or do i have to pay for the keyless entry for $250?

-my cassette tape is stuck in my nakamichi radio deck. how do i get it out?

-what are the consequences of disconnecting the battery? will everything get reseted and i will be S.O.L.???

-how do i change my factory window tint? there is already a tint to it...do i just add one on? or do i have to replace the whole window?

sorry i have many questions but i haven't found anywhere in this forum that would inform me about these things. if ya'll could really help me out...i would really appreciate it. thanks in advance everyone

Old 02-18-02, 01:29 AM
Lvangundy

sometimes it's hard to get a response here when you have so many questions..
I can only answer one thing and that's about the keyless entry. Mine doesn't work either and hasn't for a while the previous owner told me. Here are 2 suggestions- make sure the remote entry access button is set to "on"(its by the outside mirror adjustors) and make sure the battery is new on your remote. If neither of those help the dealer must replace the internal remote unit and the actuall key remote. A complete job for this costs $400.00 (at the dealer)and comes with 2 keys programmed for remote entry. If you are ever thinking about selling your car anytime soon, you may want to consider not replacing the unit. It's $400.00 extra and won't change the value much at all.
Old 02-18-02, 03:14 AM
additude
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: need help on a "few" things....

Originally posted by LSPiNoY
hopefully ya'll could help me out or direct me as to where i can find info on the following things:

-deactivate my factory alarm system and replace it with a new alarm system

-why won't my keyless entry key work? is there a battery for it? or do i have to pay for the keyless entry for $250?

-my cassette tape is stuck in my nakamichi radio deck. how do i get it out?

-what are the consequences of disconnecting the battery? will everything get reseted and i will be S.O.L.???

-how do i change my factory window tint? there is already a tint to it...do i just add one on? or do i have to replace the whole window?

sorry i have many questions but i haven't found anywhere in this forum that would inform me about these things. if ya'll could really help me out...i would really appreciate it. thanks in advance everyone

Check the battery in the remote. If it's OK, make sure the remote entry feature is turned on inside the car. Check owners manual.

If your remote is broke, check eBay. You can get one, used for $20 or so. It might cost $50 - $75 dollars to have it programmed by your lexus dealer. If you are buying one on eBay, be sure you are looking at the right one. Some of the remotes look the same but have different type numbers on the back.

I don't know if you can deactivate the alarm system. I don't think you can. If you are going to have your new alarm system installed professionally, then thos folks will know how to incorporate the new alarm system with the old one.

For the cassette tape being stuck, your probably going to have to pull the unit and open it up to get the tape out. Don't try jamming anything in there or try to force it. One small bent part and your cassette may never work again.

It's OK to disconnect the battery. However it does reset the computer memory, which keeps track of your prepositioned seat, mirrors and steering wheel positions. It will also restart the part of the computer that keeps track of your driving habits. Of course the clock will need to be reset.

You can have film placed over the existing tint on your car. Most states have laws regarding the "Translucense" of the tint, or how dark it can be. Look up a window tinter in the phone book. Check around first, there are different quality levels of tint films on the market. Cheap film bubbles, shrinks and looses it's darkness. Be sure you get a quality tint, it might be a few bucks more, but it's worth it.

Good Luck!
Old 02-18-02, 03:17 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"-what are the consequences of disconnecting the battery? will everything get reseted and i will be S.O.L.??? "

Its all good, I do it on daily basis.

"-how do i change my factory window tint? there is already a tint to it...do i just add one on? or do i have to replace the whole window?"

I am re tinting my windows on tuesday (going legal) and I can tell you whats up after I do that. I suggest you go to a professional shop and ask them about it. Or ask at a dealership.
Old 02-18-02, 04:57 PM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

thank you everyone for your help. today i went straight to the lexus dealership right after you guys gave me some feedback. i went to go check on my keyless entry option and they told me i needed a new battery. i thought to myself..."its gonna cost a lot of money" and the salesperson told me they are tha only ones to have a battery for the key. i was like dayum. so i told him to go ahead and change the battery for the key. he told me it would be $20...but when he was finished he said have a nice day. i was so happy and thanked him.
Old 02-18-02, 06:28 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by LSPiNoY
thank you everyone for your help. today i went straight to the lexus dealership right after you guys gave me some feedback. i went to go check on my keyless entry option and they told me i needed a new battery. i thought to myself..."its gonna cost a lot of money" and the salesperson told me they are tha only ones to have a battery for the key. i was like dayum. so i told him to go ahead and change the battery for the key. he told me it would be $20...but when he was finished he said have a nice day. i was so happy and thanked him.
The things salespeople do to make you feel like you owe them one. Your salesman is treating you like a sucker.

It's a standard battery you can get at any Radio Shack. I changed the battery in one of the keys myself. The other key the dealer put in a new battery for me, for free of course. Charging any more than a couple dollars would be ridiculous.

Last edited by kreativ; 02-18-02 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-18-02, 06:34 PM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

yeah i know what you're saying...when i first heard $20... i was like what kind of battery "IS IT" ....better be lifetime unlimited uses...lolz but its all gravy...and last time i went there it was tha same dood that hooked me up with a wheel lock. he was cool about it...but maybe cuz i told him about clublexus.com hehe...i wonder if he posts on here.
Old 02-18-02, 06:37 PM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

Default btw.....

why is it essential to disconnect the battery before you disconnect the air sensor.....does it mess anything up? because i did it without disconnecting the battery and nothing happened. i just want to know if there are side affects to doing work without disconnecting the battery? thanks