LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

DIY Coolant Temperature Sensor change (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-13, 11:51 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
that is the one I have already replaced, but thanks.....
Old 05-31-13, 04:18 PM
TonyH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changed mine yesterday with a MasterPro one from Oreilly's. I have noticed a better throttle response since changing it. However I did have a problem. After I finished installing it and put everything back together, I pulled the ECU fuse and disconnected the battery terminal for over 30 mins. When I turned on the car I noticed only the front ac button light was flashing and the CEL was on. There was also some weird odor that I wanna say smelled like coolant. I turned the car off immediately and pulled the fuse again. This time there was no CEL and everything was working back to normal. I walked around the car while it was idling and saw some smoke coming out the exhaust. Not much but still and I could lightly smell fuel as if the car was running rich. I took the car out for a drive around the block a couple times and didn't notice anything wrong and when I got back there wasn't any smoke either. Has anyone had this problem or know what happened?

Back to the ECU fuse, I have a 1997 LS400 and in the fuse box it calls for a 15A fuse for the ECU but mine had a 20. Is there a big difference in the two? Im planning on putting back the 15A fuse. Could this be why I the car wasn't running right? I never had any problems like that in the past even with the 20 fuse.
Old 06-06-13, 02:42 PM
mr. tetsuo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Changed mine out the other day.
The one removed next to the new.

Name:  C06BC414-A0DB-4524-A1A2-1EE46565876F-35228-00000E04601D9A73_zpsbf01babb.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  73.3 KB

Not much different other then loosing mpg. Maybe need to let it break in first
Old 08-03-13, 01:33 PM
Nach0z
Driver School Candidate

I'd like to point out here that the temperature *SENDER* and the temperature *SENSOR* are not the same item. If you go to Autozone and they give you the "Sender", that's the dashboard temperature sensor. I made that mistake but it's a cheap part and needed replaced anyways so I just dropped the new one in. Needed a 10mm socket, didn't have to use a deep well but it probably would have helped. I'm waiting to get my "sensor" later this afternoon, and hopefully I'll get some more power out of this thing. I've been getting under 16 mpg for the last two years, and that's with 90% highway driving. If this fixes it, I'm probably going to end up dancing or some other nonsense.

1994 LS400
212K miles
MPG update to come later. The pictures helped immensely, by the way, I would have had no idea which was the correct sensor without them.
Old 08-03-13, 03:20 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Nach0z
hopefully I'll get some more power out of this thing. I've been getting under 16 mpg for the last two years, and that's with 90% highway driving. If this fixes it, I'm probably going to end up dancing or some other nonsense.
I would strongly suggest the REAL genuine Toyota sensor for such a crucial part - pay the extra $25 or whatever, it is that important!

we can get to the bottom of your lack of power and gas mileage, at 16 mpg, something is seriously wrong!
The following users liked this post:
Louie7 (10-14-19)
Old 08-04-13, 11:10 AM
Nach0z
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
I would strongly suggest the REAL genuine Toyota sensor for such a crucial part - pay the extra $25 or whatever, it is that important!

we can get to the bottom of your lack of power and gas mileage, at 16 mpg, something is seriously wrong!

This is actually the same symptoms described in the .. I guess "parent" thread to this one that the OP referred to in the beginning. roughly 16 mpg. That being said, this car is going on 20 years old, so I'm almost definitely going to be replacing the O2 sensors and pretty much everything else I can get my hands on over the next few months. I've already gotta get CV axles, lower control arm bushings, etc etc etc... car repairs never stop, yeah?

On that note, I think I'll actually go ahead and buy the OEM sensor. Once I've finished with a few of the other repairs, I'll actually do a one-month trial run of each and see if there's any significant difference. I know people are arguing OEM vs AutoZone a lot in here, I might as well just test them both. Can't hurt, and the sensor's not that expensive anyways.

As far as results go so far, the sensor's been installed less than 24 hours, but I've already noticed a marked increase in available power going past 3K RPM, and the same above about 70 MPH. However my 0-60 is still down in the range of 11 seconds (which is kind of crappy, even if I have very little experience with that kind of driving), so there's likely to be a few more things that need fixed that I just don't know about yet.
Old 08-04-13, 04:33 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nach0z
As far as results go so far, the sensor's been installed less than 24 hours, but I've already noticed a marked increase in available power going past 3K RPM, and the same above about 70 MPH. However my 0-60 is still down in the range of 11 seconds (which is kind of crappy, even if I have very little experience with that kind of driving), so there's likely to be a few more things that need fixed that I just don't know about yet.
If you want a big change in gas mileage and power and 0-60, fixing the factory defect of the failing ECU capacitors is only $10 in parts, however you will have to find a world class solderer for this tedious and challenging microsurgery soldering job. - and that won't be cheap, but great bang for the buck, and should pay for itself quickly in gas - mine is getting 22 around town now!
Old 08-18-13, 02:01 PM
Nach0z
Driver School Candidate

If you want a big change in gas mileage and power and 0-60, fixing the factory defect of the failing ECU capacitors is only $10 in parts, however you will have to find a world class solderer for this tedious and challenging microsurgery soldering job. - and that won't be cheap, but great bang for the buck, and should pay for itself quickly in gas - mine is getting 22 around town now!
I'm afraid I don't have the skill or the patience to do anything like that myself. However, I did kind of find a reason to slap myself in the head today.
Turns out, when I disassembled the air intake system and whatnot to replace this sensor, I managed to completely ignore one of the vacuum hoses connected to it.
If I'm not mistaken, that often causes quite a decrease in gas mileage, depending on what that particular hose goes to. Since my mileage hasn't changed at all since that happened, and the sensor replacement and hose issue happened at the same time, I'm hoping that's the reason that I haven't had an increase in mileage yet: the issues caused by the unattached hose were counteracting the benefits from the new sensor.
In any case, a week or so from now I should have some actual NUMBERS to post in here, mileage-wise, and we'll see how things go from there.
Old 08-26-13, 12:47 PM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

glad I saw this in time...was now about to order an after market ECTS
Old 09-28-13, 03:42 PM
TheBry
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How should you take the sensor out?
Old 09-28-13, 03:55 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheBry
How should you take the sensor out?
I use a deep well socket and an extension, very much in the same fashion as you would remove a spark plug, except for the socket size
Old 10-07-13, 07:03 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The last two days the MPG dropped significantly. On the 60 mile loop with a full tank, by the time I made it home the gas gauge was at just shy of 3/4. Stopped by the gas station to verify fuel used and the MPG came back at about 16 MPG. Well off for an all freeway run. Not wanting to foul anything downstream, like the O2 sensors, EGR the dealer was 2 miles away. Total out the door was a wallet ripping $72.

After the engine cooled some I went into it. Just pulling the cover the culprit was obvious. The no 5 vacuum hose that connects to the intake piping had split from the fitting down about 2". Plenty of air is being sucked in through the crack. I checked the other vacuum hoses and many are pretty firm now. Those will need to be replaced soon.

Since I had the time, might as well put in the ECT since it was $72. I dislike all the covers modern engines have to make them look "pretty". Makes it into far more time to RR parts. If this were the Celica, the job would have been done in about 6 minutes. Anyway...

This is how the old one came out with 185K miles on it. Top fitting is pretty loose and there are signs of corrosion under the plastic.
Attached Thumbnails DIY Coolant Temperature Sensor change (PICS)-ect46.jpg  
Old 10-07-13, 10:30 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

although you got the rip-off dealer parts counter price, you were smart to go with the real Toyota part on such a critical sensor!

good job!
Old 10-15-13, 07:18 PM
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to try this, my mpg is around 16 and my current 1996 car does feel a tiny bit more sluggish compared to my old 1991.

Driving around, my temp gauge doesn't even get to halfway and I live in tropical Malaysia.
Old 10-15-13, 08:54 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Consider this also:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...uum-hoses.html

The first 5 gallons turned in ~16MPG. Replaced four hoses with the ECT and the remaining 10 gallons of gas to the 1/4 mark, the GPS showed 336 miles traveled. Calculated that at 25MPG. That combo fix has done well. More fresh vacuum hose is coming in next week.

Quick Reply: DIY Coolant Temperature Sensor change (PICS)