LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

DIY Coolant Temperature Sensor change (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-14, 03:30 PM
simrx3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mods this baby needs linking to be in the model frequent questions list thread
Old 12-08-14, 10:58 PM
mattylex77
Rookie

Ordered ects and gasket for my 99. Read through the thread and couldn't find instructions for install on the vvti engine. If anyone has done this id love to know how. Also the part is large and has a coil spring not like the pics I've been seeing on here. It came in a toyota box that says thermostat with part # 90916-03100. What am I doing wrong here guys?
Old 12-20-14, 05:52 PM
mappo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mattylex77
Ordered ects and gasket for my 99. Read through the thread and couldn't find instructions for install on the vvti engine. If anyone has done this id love to know how. Also the part is large and has a coil spring not like the pics I've been seeing on here. It came in a toyota box that says thermostat with part # 90916-03100. What am I doing wrong here guys?
That's a thermostat, not the ECT sensor. Either you ordered the wrong part by mistake or they sent you the wrong part by mistake.

I replaced my ECT sensor tonight at the same time I replaced my spark plugs. The old one crumbled apart as I took it off, but at least the harness clip didn't break. I wish I could say the same for all the clips on the ignition coils. I think only three of them didn't break while changing the spark plugs.

I can definitely see a difference with the new sensor - the engine idles more smoothly at startup/warmup and seems more "at ease" in normal driving, for lack of a better description.

One thing I learned along the way is that Tekton's deep 19mm socket isn't deep enough to get the ECT off. I had to buy a second one (a Craftsman) to fit over the sensor.
Old 12-21-14, 01:22 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

The problem with what brand of any car part you get these days, no matter if it is OEM or OReillys, Autozone or what ever is, where it is made is whats important. Even a high priced OEM part can be from off shore (china), since everyone in manufacturing seems to outsource stuff. And I'm sure Lexus does the same. So is an OEM sensor always going to be the best? I hope so. A simple test of the sensor before installing it should tell the story of how good it is.
Old 12-21-14, 11:10 PM
mattylex77
Rookie

Yup wrong part sent their fault. Was that for a vvti engine?
Old 12-22-14, 06:39 AM
mappo
Driver

Was that for a vvti engine?
Yes, a 2000. Here's a pic of the sensor location. It's directly under the transmission kickdown cable - my index finger is touching it. You have to move the airbox out of the way to get at it. That's two bolts, two hoses and a wire clip IIRC. There's a third hose at the back that's long enough to stay on while you move the box. I didn't take the box off the throttle body, I just loosened the clamp and spun it up out of the way.

A good quart of coolant comes out when you take out the sensor, unless you're doing a coolant drain and fill at the same time. To limit the gushing I held the sensor close to the hole until the flow diminished. Still a big mess, but less so than if it geysered all over the place.

Last edited by mappo; 12-22-14 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-22-14, 12:15 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Coolant temp sensor at O Reillys, 27.99 with tax. Lifetime warranty. I will check it and note the readings.
They had a cheaper one like 14.00 ish and it was made in china, and a black connector on it. This one is made in Brazil.
I don't think an oem would be lifetime warranty, if it was I could just remove the original and take to the dealer and swap it out. Hmmm to bad a car maker doesn't pick up on that one. Life time electrical parts warranty.

Last edited by dicer; 12-22-14 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-24-14, 06:01 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dicer
Coolant temp sensor at O Reillys, 27.99 with tax. Lifetime warranty. I will check it and note the readings.
They had a cheaper one like 14.00 ish and it was made in china, and a black connector on it. This one is made in Brazil.
I don't think an oem would be lifetime warranty, if it was I could just remove the original and take to the dealer and swap it out. Hmmm to bad a car maker doesn't pick up on that one. Life time electrical parts warranty.
Wow ! No one even lists the proper sensor for my 90. Mine has a larger thread than the one listed in their parts lists. Anyone know the correct part number for a 90? They said its the same number for 1990 up to 1997.
Problem solved, it must be the start time switch I removed theres another sensor closer to the head.

Last edited by dicer; 12-24-14 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-24-14, 06:25 PM
mattylex77
Rookie

and thanks thats exactly what i needed. so what did you do to contain the gushing? or does it matter. is there anything that could be damaged by coolant everywhere aside from the alternator? perhaps ill just put a milk jug on it before i do the ects change
Old 12-24-14, 06:48 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

and thanks thats exactly what i needed. so what did you do to contain the gushing? or does it matter. is there anything that could be damaged by coolant everywhere aside from the alternator? perhaps ill just put a milk jug on it before i do the ects change
Just put a drain pan under the RH side and loosen the radiator drain, and remove the surge tank cap let it drain down some.
Old 01-01-15, 06:22 PM
SocalBobby
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mappo
Yes, a 2000. Here's a pic of the sensor location. It's directly under the transmission kickdown cable - my index finger is touching it. You have to move the airbox out of the way to get at it. That's two bolts, two hoses and a wire clip IIRC. There's a third hose at the back that's long enough to stay on while you move the box. I didn't take the box off the throttle body, I just loosened the clamp and spun it up out of the way.

A good quart of coolant comes out when you take out the sensor, unless you're doing a coolant drain and fill at the same time. To limit the gushing I held the sensor close to the hole until the flow diminished. Still a big mess, but less so than if it geysered all over the place.

Your motor looks brand new still!
Old 01-02-15, 06:12 AM
mappo
Driver

Originally Posted by SocalBobby
Your motor looks brand new still!
The original owner took very good care of it - the cliche little old lady that only drove it on Sundays. She bumped into things a lot though so I've got scuffs at all four corners that I'll hopefully get around to buffing out at some point.
Old 01-02-15, 07:22 AM
mappo
Driver

Originally Posted by dicer
Just put a drain pan under the RH side and loosen the radiator drain, and remove the surge tank cap let it drain down some.
Yeah what dicer said. I definitely should have lowered the coolant level first. Be gentle with the radiator drain plug though - it's fragile old plastic and can snap more easily than you think. Getting a broken off plug stub out of your radiator is a real PITA. Ask me how I know!
Old 01-05-15, 04:56 AM
mattylex77
Rookie

My coolant level in the reservoir is already low I'd say 4 inches below the "low" line. Maybe I dont even have to drain any coolant. What do you guys think?
Old 02-19-15, 08:26 PM
Speedboat7
Driver School Candidate

I have 293k on my 97 ls400. I just got the coolant sensor. I just average my gas mileage and it was 13.8mpg. After I install it, we will find out if it really works. Lol I hope it dose.

Quick Reply: DIY Coolant Temperature Sensor change (PICS)