LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

All LS400 owners with bad gas mileage READ THIS!

Old 08-02-11, 09:58 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

I see what ya mean. Although I haven't worked on a 91, I would think it would be the same as the others. You could pull the old one and see if there's a part number on it.

Description post #158.

Last edited by deanshark; 08-17-11 at 03:56 PM. Reason: deleted wrong advice
Old 08-11-11, 11:01 AM
Messanger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blunden
I tried to replace the ECT on my 1991 LS400, without success. First of all, the location looks nothing like the earlier photos in this thread. Mine appears to be on an angle, and there is only one sensor.

Second, the replacement part I bought (OEM part number 89422-20010) that others have used successfully (or the Duralast part SU4007) does not actually fit. In the part that is on the car, there are symmetric flanges either side of the sensor, but the SU4007 part is asymmetric, and clearly won't fit into the harness. Does anyone else with a 1991 model have the same problem? Either (a) this is not the ECT sensor, and that sensor is somewhere else on this model year, or (b) the ECT sensor for this model year has a different part number. (If the latter, I haven't been able to find it.)

Here is a photo showing the location of the sensor, and the SU4007 replacement part I bought (the brass one which is just lying there for comparison). Sorry that it is so fuzzy, but you can clearly see the symmetric flanges on the OEM part. On the replacement part the flange on the right is lower.

I have a 91 also. Im having the same problem. Anybody know any solutions. I cant seem to find a part #
Old 08-11-11, 04:01 PM
ricardo304
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Messanger
I have a 91 also. Im having the same problem. Anybody know any solutions. I cant seem to find a part #
yes, the location is right. the part # 89422‑20010 for the E.F.I and yes, it's asymmetric
Old 08-11-11, 07:57 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Just changed my sensor on my 92 with 116,000 miles yesterday. The engine seems to rev smoother and accelerate much better. Will see what my mileage is. Lately it's been around 12-14 around town, and I live in a rural area with very few stops and no traffic. If I can't get it up, I may very well replace this car with a pickup.
Old 08-12-11, 07:08 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

honestly, chances are you guys need to take your ecu apart and replace all the electrolytic caps. i posted a thread that showed where they are and what the values are cause i wasted money having my ecu "repaired" by ATE just to find out that all they did was replace the caps, which wasnt my problem on that particular ecu. (ended up buying another ecu to solve the problem i had).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-repaired.html

replacing the caps is a common need in alot of other toyota ecu's of the same era.
Old 08-12-11, 08:43 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

That sensor in your picture is def not the coolant temp sensor that we're replacing. Did you try moving the spark plug wire holder? Mine was almost all the way underneath it in the back, and I had to move it to access the sensor.
Old 08-12-11, 07:07 PM
BrittonJ85
Rookie

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Just changed my sensor on my 92 with 116,000 miles yesterday. The engine seems to rev smoother and accelerate much better. Will see what my mileage is. Lately it's been around 12-14 around town, and I live in a rural area with very few stops and no traffic. If I can't get it up, I may very well replace this car with a pickup.
I will admit that I did not expect that changing my coolant temperature sensor to solve my sluggish problem that I've had for about 2yrs but it did and I am very well satisfied with the outcome. It was $50 well worth the money to spend and time that I invested to change. I would recommend everyone that has a Lexus with sluggish people to change it just to see that outcome. I can't wait to drive my car tomorrow. Wish someone will even try to pull on me, all they will see is my car's tail lol.
Old 08-17-11, 03:48 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blunden
I tried to replace the ECT on my 1991 LS400, without success. First of all, the location looks nothing like the earlier photos in this thread. Mine appears to be on an angle, and there is only one sensor.

Second, the replacement part I bought (OEM part number 89422-20010) that others have used successfully (or the Duralast part SU4007) does not actually fit. In the part that is on the car, there are symmetric flanges either side of the sensor, but the SU4007 part is asymmetric, and clearly won't fit into the harness. Does anyone else with a 1991 model have the same problem? Either (a) this is not the ECT sensor, and that sensor is somewhere else on this model year, or (b) the ECT sensor for this model year has a different part number. (If the latter, I haven't been able to find it.)

Here is a photo showing the location of the sensor, and the SU4007 replacement part I bought (the brass one which is just lying there for comparison). Sorry that it is so fuzzy, but you can clearly see the symmetric flanges on the OEM part. On the replacement part the flange on the right is lower.
I found your problem (another thread popped up, same issue) and figured I would post it so when people search in the future they see the answer to your problem. The sensor you unplugged is not the ECT, it's the "Start Injector Time Switch". The ECT should be located under the plastic tray for the spark plug wires. (green connector) I describe it in post #7 of this; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...too-small.html You can also see both sensors in step 27-28 of this; http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html Hope this helps somebody in the future.
Old 08-23-11, 05:47 AM
blunden
Rookie

Originally Posted by deanshark
I found your problem (another thread popped up, same issue) and figured I would post it so when people search in the future they see the answer to your problem. The sensor you unplugged is not the ECT, it's the "Start Injector Time Switch". The ECT should be located under the plastic tray for the spark plug wires. (green connector) I describe it in post #7 of this; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...too-small.html You can also see both sensors in step 27-28 of this; http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html Hope this helps somebody in the future.
Excellent, thank you. I found it further back. What confused me was the Service Repair Manual, which wanted me to remove the thermostat housing and a lot of other stuff that is totally unnecessary to get at this sensor. Maybe it moved in later versions.
Old 11-02-11, 10:04 PM
LeeXiis
Driver School Candidate

wheres the link or store you bought this sensor from?
Old 11-03-11, 10:04 PM
raychayal
Driver School Candidate

definitely will look into replacing this part. hopefully itll help..
Old 11-12-11, 12:01 PM
lavondag
Driver School Candidate

Do you have any tips on getting that plastic piece off that covers the left side of the spark plug wire tray? I'm having fits with it and not sure how to proceed. Thanks
Old 11-12-11, 12:26 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lavondag
Do you have any tips on getting that plastic piece off that covers the left side of the spark plug wire tray? I'm having fits with it and not sure how to proceed. Thanks
Not sure what "piece" you're talking about or what year your LS is but whatever it is, it must have a bolt holding it in. Try searching a little more in the future which would help you more b/c if you did you would have found this one with pics; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ange-pics.html Also, that's why the "stickies" are at the top of the page, most common issues. Hope ya get it out. It shouldn't be that hard.
Old 11-12-11, 01:25 PM
lavondag
Driver School Candidate

That is exactly what I did and I have viewed the pics but none of the posts tell exactly how to get that piece out. It is really wedged in there. I need to know from someone who has taken it off before and they will know what I mean. I thought from reading the postings that you had done so. Sorry
Old 11-12-11, 02:38 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lavondag
That is exactly what I did and I have viewed the pics but none of the posts tell exactly how to get that piece out. It is really wedged in there. I need to know from someone who has taken it off before and they will know what I mean. I thought from reading the postings that you had done so. Sorry
I've taken mine out and all there is, is the two 10mm bolts on that cover and then the timing cover can be loosened to get that tray out. There is also a louvered cover that might have to come off before the timing cover. Still don't know what year ya have b/c I think the newer models don't have the louvered covers. It's just like a staircase going down taking one thing off to get to the next, and then the next, etc. Nothing should be jambed, or wedged, in there. Everything should come out nice and easy. If it's not coming out, look for another bolt.

This will show where the bolts are; http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/ignition/sparkplugs.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All LS400 owners with bad gas mileage READ THIS!