LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

All LS400 owners with bad gas mileage READ THIS!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-11, 08:27 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 312 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteivory
cool.
so where are they?

and are they the same parts?
This https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ange-pics.html (which is located in this thread) in the 5th pic it will show you the ECT, it has 2 wires (green connector). The sensor next to it, with one wire, (black connector) is for the temp gauge on the dash. And then you have the sensor on the bottom of the radiator, which controls the fans. So no they are not the same part.
Old 01-26-11, 12:13 PM
95redsc400
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sensor and sender/sending unit

Originally Posted by atoyot
ok, dumb question here, but i thought that the coolant temperature is what is read on the dash gauge as temp? So, if the coolant temp sensor was showing that cold, the dash gauge would show cold the entire time operating the car? Or, is that temp gauge signaled by the thermostat?
I would suspect it to be like a lot of other engines from various car makers. The sensor (engine coolant temperature sensor) sends it's signal or info to the ECU or the or as some call it the computer of the car. The coolant sender or coolant temperature sending unit sends it's signal or info to the gauge on the dash. I had the same problem but with the sending unit on a ZX2, the gauge read hot, but the engine ran fine.
Old 01-26-11, 05:08 PM
e34nicatio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First tank of gas with the new ect... Previously I had a best highway mpg of 17.8. Today with 90% highway driving and speeds between 82 and 95 the majority of the drive I averaged 20.8.

93 ls
Old 01-26-11, 09:56 PM
Imperium11
Driver

Does anyone know if this is part of regular servicing from the dealership? Just dont wanna pull everything aparet to find out its alright, although im probably going to test mine first to check unless its visibly in bad condition
Old 01-31-11, 04:19 PM
LS400BOY
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jasonburt
Their are 3 coolant sensors on the LS400. One is for the fuel and timing maps on the computer. One is for a timer for the cold start injector. One is for the tempurature guage on the instrument cluster.
if theres 3 whitch 1 to get for better gas milage
Old 01-31-11, 06:01 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LS400BOY
if theres 3 whitch 1 to get for better gas milage
Did you read this thread? It must be said 50 times, "engine coolant temperature sensor" (ECT) Including the first post. Sry, not trying to be a D***.
Old 01-31-11, 07:24 PM
LS400BOY
Lead Lap

im sorry when dude said that i was just making sue homeboy
Old 02-01-11, 09:42 AM
lexuskim
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by avalon42
Autozone or you can buy OEM Toyota/Lexus. Up to you.

You do NOT need to reset the ECU.
Sorry to have targeted you to answer my naive question but, what does OEM and other 1st letters of words people posts mean? Again, thanks to all who have helped me learn.
Old 02-01-11, 10:38 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexuskim
Sorry to have targeted you to answer my naive question but, what does OEM and other 1st letters of words people posts mean? Again, thanks to all who have helped me learn.
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer
ECU = Engine Control Unit
Most initials are all parts. But the list can go on and on for pages and pages. It would take hours to list them all. Some of them do get confusing. If there is a certain one you need to know about you can ask us or google it.
For example something like "AFM in relation to cars" will come up as Air Fuel Meter. Hope that helps.
Old 02-15-11, 10:00 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

well, ordered the 2 rear o2 sensors. ill install them when they come in. if this doesnt solve my gas mileage issue, then idk what will. i can smell gas clear as day in the exhaust now. already changed the front 2 like 4-6 weeks ago. new coolant sensor, heads have been off, rebuilt, decarbonized etc... egr system was cleaned out and is working, cats arnt clogged, etc....

speaking of cats. is the single case where the 2 pipes merge right behind the trans a cat or resonator? ive read that it is a cat, and that it is a resonator. which is it? if its a cat, ill just cut the thing out in case it is clogged and replace it with a straight pipe. if its a resonator, no point. it never glows or anything. ive checked. drove the car hard as crap then stop and looked under etc... nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 02-15-11, 03:07 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by williamb82
well, ordered the 2 rear o2 sensors. ill install them when they come in. if this doesnt solve my gas mileage issue, then idk what will. i can smell gas clear as day in the exhaust now. already changed the front 2 like 4-6 weeks ago. new coolant sensor, heads have been off, rebuilt, decarbonized etc... egr system was cleaned out and is working, cats arnt clogged, etc....

speaking of cats. is the single case where the 2 pipes merge right behind the trans a cat or resonator? ive read that it is a cat, and that it is a resonator. which is it? if its a cat, ill just cut the thing out in case it is clogged and replace it with a straight pipe. if its a resonator, no point. it never glows or anything. ive checked. drove the car hard as crap then stop and looked under etc... nothing out of the ordinary.
it can be both depending on the car, some where shipped with a 3rd cat and some with a resonator in the center. there's no monitoring for it as i recall so you could just replace it...
Old 02-16-11, 04:54 AM
williamb82
Advanced

mine is shaped more like a muffler, so im guessing it is prolly a resonator. eventually, ill just buy a dual 2.5in exhaust kit from speedway motors and a couple magnaflow mufflers and make a new exhaust from the main cats back and be done with it.
Old 02-16-11, 04:23 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

should stick to 2.25in. unless you plan on going FI.
Old 02-17-11, 09:07 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My car used to get decent MPG...

Until I changed the tires from Michelin to Bridgestone since Costco couldn't install an H-rated Primacy MXV4, but they chose to install a Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS instead. The tire is good - except for the rolling resistance. Case in point - a 330 mile roundtrip to Tahoe from my house is usually a 24-25mpg run. Since the Bridgestones were installed, it dropped to 21mpg. Even my normal MPG has dropped from 17-19 to 15!
Old 02-20-11, 12:21 PM
williamb82
Advanced

well, i changed the rear two o2 sensors this morning and the fuel filter. so far so good. exhaust doesnt smell like gas anymore, and i went driving around town. 10 miles or so. romped on it several times. engine light has not come on at all which is another good thing. it was coming on before saying lean even though it wasnt. my last tank of gas was 16.1mpg. i filled up on the way home and reset the trip meter. ill fill up at 300miles and see how it does.

Quick Reply: All LS400 owners with bad gas mileage READ THIS!