LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

where to get 02 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-02, 11:21 AM
willy431@aol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to get 02 sensors

Hey guys--I need to replace my 02 sensors---I understand we have 4 of them on our cars 1993 LS 400 and usually the 2 in front of the cats go bad so I will start with these. OEM are 190 at toyota. What have you guys paid and where did you score them? Are they 2 or 4 wire?
thanks so much for any help

mark
Old 02-14-02, 12:06 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: where to get 02 sensors

Originally posted by willy431@aol
Hey guys--I need to replace my 02 sensors---I understand we have 4 of them on our cars 1993 LS 400 and usually the 2 in front of the cats go bad so I will start with these. OEM are 190 at toyota. What have you guys paid and where did you score them? Are they 2 or 4 wire?
thanks so much for any help

mark
I paid ~$125 or $141 each (can't remember the exact price) for the main O2 sensor (the front one). Did not buy the rear (Sub O2) , but it was quote at ~$250 each.
Carson Toyota 800-809-6968 Steve or Gordon

I heard that Borsch brand cost about ~$45 each at any auto parts store. I would go with Borsch on this one
Old 02-14-02, 12:33 PM
willy431@aol
Driver School Candidate

OK thanks guys---yeah I will try and go the bosch route---they said at parts america there is a 2 wire and a 4 wire number listed---anybody know which one I need?

thanks again

mark
93 ls 400
Old 02-14-02, 02:30 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by willy431@aol
OK thanks guys---yeah I will try and go the bosch route---they said at parts america there is a 2 wire and a 4 wire number listed---anybody know which one I need?

thanks again

mark
93 ls 400
Found the old O2 in the garage, its 4 wires, the connection has 4 prong.

Last edited by VQT; 02-14-02 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-14-02, 02:35 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Just check the record, $141.71 list, I paid $113.xx each total for two plus tax ~$240
Old 03-03-02, 07:33 AM
Cary1952
Driver School Candidate

i paid $400 including install for 2 of them on my 92 SC400 2 months ago. I wish i would have heard about the Bosch. ah well, next time! sounds like the way to go!

Cary in S.D.
Old 03-04-02, 10:16 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not a good idea to save some bucks on O2 sensors unless you are certain that the aftermarket sensors are equivalent to manufacturer sensors. Correct wires and connectors are relatively unimportant when compared to the sensor's voltage/O2/temperature properties. O2 sensors are subjected to extreme temperature and must provide correct and consistent voltages at a given O2 concentrations. The ECU continuously monitors O2 voltages and other sensors for information and look up its preprogrammed data table to correctly compute fuel delivery and timing. Obviously, if O2 sensor's voltage/O2 curve doesn't match with factory O2 sensor, the computed values won't be correct.

I know it's painful to cough out $$$ for factory sensors, but for those who did, you did a good favor for your car. Just hope that you won't have to replace them again.
Old 03-04-02, 10:23 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Default O2 Sensor part number

VQT,

What was the factory part# for the O2 sensors you bought. Please also indicate whether or they are pre or post catalytic converter. I want to see if I could get them at a lower price.
Old 03-05-02, 05:14 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Default Re: O2 Sensor part number

It was the main O2 (pre in you book) the sub O2 (post) is about ~$250-$300 each. I would definitely look for after market.
Not all OEM parts are good. Would you buy a new OEM stereo/CD changer if your go bad? I wouldn't, I'll go to after market cheaper and better sound too.
I don't have the part # here with me. But I would put out $45 first to see if it work (usually it does) than $114 each and that was with Gordon/Steve Ganz of Carson Toyota 800-908-6968 other people can't get that price. Forum member can get that price...

People, please don't go and replace thing untill you know for sure it is the faulty part. You guy need to know how to pull the trouble code and understand them. the code for O2 sensor and to test thing out is about 40 pages at various section of the repair manual. I can't help anyone because I am an amateur myself (I learn to fix my car from the repair manual).
You need to check to see if the MAF sensor, the TPS two of them if you have traction control, the left and right O2 sensors. Also, is it the main or the sub O2 sensor.

Originally posted by hyperopt
VQT,

What was the factory part# for the O2 sensors you bought. Please also indicate whether or they are pre or post catalytic converter. I want to see if I could get them at a lower price.
Old 03-05-02, 09:21 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Stereo system vs. O2 sensor is a poor analogy as the type of stereo system does not affect the car's performance. Bad stereo is distasteful to your ears but not to the your car.

Among the first items that a good technician look for when troubleshooting engine/emission problems is whether or not an aftermarket O2 is installed. Some technicians would refuse to go further unless the aftermarket O2 sensors are replaced with OEM sensors and they do this for good reasons.
Old 03-05-02, 10:41 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Stereo system vs. O2 sensor is a poor analogy as the type of stereo system does not affect the car's performance. Bad stereo is distasteful to your ears but not to the your car.

Among the first items that a good technician look for when troubleshooting engine/emission problems is whether or not an aftermarket O2 is installed. Some technicians would refuse to go further unless the aftermarket O2 sensors are replaced with OEM sensors and they do this for good reasons.
I am not trying to get a flame war here.

I don't know much about this Oxygen sensor to really say anything. But I still say the technician is full of s*#t. A guy at work took his car (Nissan Maxima) to the dealer for a tune up. He told them to just change the spark plugs and adjust the timing. He already replace the air filter and the oil himself. Guess what they change everything including the air filter. When ask why did the tech need to change the air filter since it is new/clean. The tech. answer was that he can't tune the car properly if the car doesn't have the OEM filter.

Are you telling me that aftermarket parts won't work. That's mean all after market supplier should be out of business. What about the guys that modified their car. It is out of original specification, can't fix it anymore

I don't know you're a mechanic or not. But I won't believe anyone unless I seen proof. I myself had been fool by mechanic, tech manager...many time already. That's why I don't trust anyone. AND I always try to fix the car myself. I never bring my car to the dealer. Is that tell you enough how much I trust the dealer, yes even Lexus dealer.
Old 03-05-02, 11:17 AM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Kinda hard to keep a discussion fruitful and non-inflamatory when non sequitur, loaded questions, and argumentum ad baculum fallacies are used.

Your statement pretty much sum it up...

Originally posted by VQT

I don't know much about this Oxygen sensor to really say anything.
Old 03-10-02, 04:41 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Like I said, I don't trust mechanic or tech. service manager. They only want to replace their company parts.
I guess after market O2 sensor is out of business

If you know so much about O2 sensors, why don't you help willy431@aol troubleshoot his O2 issue. Start with code 25.

Last edited by VQT; 03-10-02 at 04:44 AM.