LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'90 LS400 fuel pump system problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-13, 11:58 AM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fixmiester
Since your problem is consistent, why don't you just get the fuel pressure checked at the rail, both before and during the problem? If it turns out to be low, THEN you can start looking for related causes.
Would this be of relevance since I have installed 8 New injectors for this 1UZ 3 months ago while I was experiencing this same rough idling at half temperature problem?
Further, this entire fuel system from inline fuel filter, fuel pump have been changed, not to mention the gas tank has been cleaned and flushed.
Old 10-02-13, 12:03 PM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I hope you didn't spend all that time and money just replacing stuff, without doing this one simple test.
Wouldn't you really be mad at yourself if the pressure is low, and it turns out the "new" FP is defective, or it is getting low voltage? It's really a simple test, and is the first thing a mechanic should check.
Old 10-02-13, 12:23 PM
MattLS400
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fixmiester
I hope you didn't spend all that time and money just replacing stuff, without doing this one simple test.
Wouldn't you really be mad at yourself if the pressure is low, and it turns out the "new" FP is defective, or it is getting low voltage? It's really a simple test, and is the first thing a mechanic should check.
Understandable. But question, If the problem were to be of fuel pressure in nature, wouldn't my rough idling occur all the time?
Even when the engine is cold and warm?
Well thats my dilemma you see, I only experience intermittent rough idling once the engine is warm. Otherwise my 1UZ is a beast..
Old 10-03-13, 01:15 PM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Fuel, air, and spark. Yep, in theory ICEs are pretty simple--But-- the devil's in the details. And one of the really important details is adequate fuel delivery. Since a cold engine is in open loop, and it goes closed when it reaches normal temp, the fuel pressure could be just low enough to really affect the performance after that transition.
Old 10-03-13, 02:01 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

well since the 96 model has huge issues with failing ECU capacitors, fix that first, because without a known good ECU, the poor car is just confused as hell.

and speaking of open loop vs. closed loop, in open loop (cold) the ECU is working off of its map in ROM, and not having to make decisions, which is more evidence to suspect the ECU.

if you are going to fix or replace things all over the place in an effort to solve this problem, at least start with the common things that fail in a '96 and could cause these symptoms - and in a high humidity hot place, like Miami or the Caribbean, the ECU has a bulls-eye on it as the likely culprit!
Old 03-11-14, 07:57 AM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by MattLS400
Understandable. But question, If the problem were to be of fuel pressure in nature, wouldn't my rough idling occur all the time?
Even when the engine is cold and warm?
Well thats my dilemma you see, I only experience intermittent rough idling once the engine is warm. Otherwise my 1UZ is a beast..
Matt, did you ever resolve this?

After reading the thread, I saw that a couple of your questions were not answered:

1.) why doesn't the fuel pump run when the ignition is on with the jumper in place?

Jumper at the diagnostic check connector FP to B+ so you will be upstream of the circuit opening relay.

2. why is there a resistor in the fuel pump circuit?

Normal operation is with the resistor in the circuit, this for longevity of the pump. The resistor is only bypassed when signalled by the ECU for hot starts to help overcome fuel percolation. It is not a "full-throttle" switch as erroneously stated earlier. The manifold vacuum controlled pressure regulator is used for full throttle.

3. If you are getting lurching and dying WITH your jumper in place, fuel pump windings are suspect. They open when electrically hot, then recover as the windings cool. Your diagnosis is affirmed if you find that the symptoms occur with a lower fuel level, and do not occur with a full tank.
Colin
Old 03-21-14, 04:28 PM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Amskeptic
If you are getting lurching and dying WITH your jumper in place, fuel pump windings are suspect. They open when electrically hot, then recover as the windings cool. Your diagnosis is affirmed if you find that the symptoms occur with a lower fuel level, and do not occur with a full tank.
Colin
Money where my mouth is . . . replaced fuel pump 03/20/14. Will update you all if that dropping dead symptom should ever come back.
Colin
Old 03-22-14, 09:52 AM
FredG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's a MAF?

Originally Posted by Bill Dowd
I rencently had a problem like yours THE CAR WAS BUCKING AND QUITING I found it to be the MAF was shot I cleaned it and it made no difference I got one at a a used lexus parts shop in Santa Ana Ca phone 714-569-999 it's called 999 used lexus parts I paid $140.00 for a used one and the dealer wanted $1,000 for the same thing. and it is now working perfectly
What's a MAF? I can't imagine you're talking about an air filter for $1000.
Old 03-22-14, 12:55 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

^^^^ Mass Air Flow Sensor
Old 03-24-14, 11:27 AM
FredG
Driver School Candidate

Default Maf

Originally Posted by sha4000
^^^^ Mass Air Flow Sensor
Thanks Colin. Much appreciated.
Old 12-16-14, 01:28 PM
pyr8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yamae
Why don't you confirm it just bypassing the fuel pump relay?
Suppling the 12V directly to the motor can distinguish the problem.

It can be done as is indicated by a red line.

Where is the location of the "FP & +B" connector on a '94 Celsior'? I cant locate it!

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-16-14, 04:37 PM
pyr8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Amskeptic
Matt, did you ever resolve this?

After reading the thread, I saw that a couple of your questions were not answered:

1.) why doesn't the fuel pump run when the ignition is on with the jumper in place?

Jumper at the diagnostic check connector FP to B+ so you will be upstream of the circuit opening relay.

2. why is there a resistor in the fuel pump circuit?

Normal operation is with the resistor in the circuit, this for longevity of the pump. The resistor is only bypassed when signalled by the ECU for hot starts to help overcome fuel percolation. It is not a "full-throttle" switch as erroneously stated earlier. The manifold vacuum controlled pressure regulator is used for full throttle.

3. If you are getting lurching and dying WITH your jumper in place, fuel pump windings are suspect. They open when electrically hot, then recover as the windings cool. Your diagnosis is affirmed if you find that the symptoms occur with a lower fuel level, and do not occur with a full tank.
Colin
What is the voltage range at the fuel pump supposed to be when jumping FP/+B?