LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-08, 08:12 AM
thejtk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo

So I've been lurking for a while and now that I'm within a month or two of having the funds for an LS400 (98-00), I thought I would get some questions answered. Mainly so I can figure out exactly what I want to get.

Is there a difference in difficulty of upgrading the Pioneer system vs the Nakamichi? From what I've read/searched the Nakamichi seems to be almost impossible to replace but I can't figure out if this is the case with the Pioneer. Or should I just get the Nakamichi and leave it alone (or just upgrade the speakers)?
Old 08-13-08, 10:49 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

in a 98-00 car, the stock system sounds pretty good. i'd upgrade the front speakers and tweeters, keep the stock amp for those. then add a couple subs and a sub amp and be done with it. keep the head unit as long as it serves your purpose.
Old 08-13-08, 10:53 AM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

I had a 99 and changed to a double din headunit with just an amp and subs. It sounded pretty good, with the stock speakers.
Old 08-13-08, 10:58 AM
thejtk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 19psi
in a 98-00 car, the stock system sounds pretty good. i'd upgrade the front speakers and tweeters, keep the stock amp for those. then add a couple subs and a sub amp and be done with it. keep the head unit as long as it serves your purpose.
Do you have Nakamichi? Did you do the larger speaker upgrade?
Old 08-13-08, 12:38 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i did have a nak, but changed it. my final system used nothing from the factory. double din JDM kenwood head unit, new speakers in the doors, subs int eh trunk, new amps for doors and subs.
Old 08-14-08, 08:32 AM
konartist
Driver School Candidate

you can do a bunch of different things to the stereo, theres a shop here in ny, that will do all lexus/VW/audi audio repairs/installs. I had the nakamichi in my car and i will tell you it is the biggest pain in the *** to work on that car, i put a single din radio, with amp/subs, i had to take out the 6cd changer and the old amp used to power the 8inch sub, take out the 8 inch sub, and then install 2 amps for the speakers/subs. You will have to modify the trunk if you want it to look clean, and ive only seen about 2 different dins that will fit nicely in lexus's radio compartment
Old 08-14-08, 08:41 AM
thejtk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by konartist
you can do a bunch of different things to the stereo, theres a shop here in ny, that will do all lexus/VW/audi audio repairs/installs. I had the nakamichi in my car and i will tell you it is the biggest pain in the *** to work on that car, i put a single din radio, with amp/subs, i had to take out the 6cd changer and the old amp used to power the 8inch sub, take out the 8 inch sub, and then install 2 amps for the speakers/subs. You will have to modify the trunk if you want it to look clean, and ive only seen about 2 different dins that will fit nicely in lexus's radio compartment
Something like that sounds outside of my price range (not to mention the difficulty of finding a shop I trust enough to do it). I bet it sounds great though!
I think I'm just going to find one with the Nakamichi and then do PureDrifter's aux mod and maybe replace speakers. The sound system in this car is probably much better than the c**p I've replaced in other cars before so hopefully it will be fine.
Old 08-14-08, 06:45 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Although I like the way the Nakamichi in my 2000 LS400 sounds, if I had it to do over I would buy a 2000 LS400 with the standard Pioneer system.

Most importantly, avoid 98-00 LS400s with OEM navigation!

While the Pioneer does not have quite the booming base of the Nak, it has other advantages like ASL (Automatic Sound Leveling) and what some people think is a more accurate, cleaner sound. The Nak can be a little fuzzy. Some people view the difference between the Nak and the Pioneer as being similar to the difference between a vinyl record and a digital CD recording.

I don't know if it is true but I've read that the 98-00 Nak is an analog system and that the standard Pioneer system in the 98-00 LS is digital.

Nak systems are fairly common in the 98-00 LS400 but Pioneer systems are in most. According to my 00 LS repair manual set, the amp in the standard Pioneer system appears to be the same as in the audio system that comes with the navigation package. All this means that parts and service are more readily available for the standard Pioneer system.

Lastly, the Nakamichi company has had serious problems -- you can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakamichi
Old 08-14-08, 07:03 PM
thejtk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kansas
Although I like the way the Nakamichi in my 2000 LS400 sounds, if I had it to do over I would buy a 2000 LS400 with the standard Pioneer system.

Most importantly, avoid 98-00 LS400s with OEM navigation!

While the Pioneer does not have quite the booming base of the Nak, it has other advantages like ASL (Automatic Sound Leveling) and what some people think is a more accurate, cleaner sound. The Nak can be a little fuzzy. Some people view the difference between the Nak and the Pioneer as being similar to the difference between a vinyl record and a digital CD recording.

I don't know if it is true but I've read that the 98-00 Nak is an analog system and that the standard Pioneer system in the 98-00 LS is digital.

Nak systems are fairly common in the 98-00 LS400 but Pioneer systems are in most. According to my 00 LS repair manual set, the amp in the standard Pioneer system appears to be the same as in the audio system that comes with the navigation package. All this means that parts and service are more readily available for the standard Pioneer system.

Lastly, the Nakamichi company has had serious problems -- you can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakamichi

I think when I start going on test drives, I'm going to have to bring a CD along to test out the differences. I hope they both sound good though, that will make it easier to find a nice low-mileage car.

I went the the Crutchfield website and apparently they don't have a wiring harness for the Nakamichi but they do have one for the Pioneer. It says I'll have to fabricate a mounting kit though:

With Pioneer:
Installation Details for your 1999 LS400
» To install this product, you�ll have to modify your vehicle.
» You will need to fabricate a mounting kit in order to install your new receiver.

With Nakamichi:
» To install this product, you�ll have to modify your vehicle.
» You will need to fabricate a mounting kit in order to install your new receiver.
» A wiring harness is not available. You will need to splice into the factory wires.
Old 08-14-08, 10:26 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for me the nakamichi was not a bad replacement job i went with a custom fabbed double din nav display and replaced all the door speakers as well as tweeters. also if your doing subs dont forget to remove the stock one to let the air flow through the car for better sound!