LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Do Kyb strut mounts fit OEM struts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 08:57 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Do Kyb strut mounts fit OEM struts?

This is for a 1991 Ls400.

I can get Kyb strut mounts on ebay for $130 (front pair) or I can get OEM strut mounts for $200.

I'd like to save the $70 if I can.
Old 07-25-08, 06:52 AM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KYB will be fine...OEM front pr will cost you 170 or so..
Old 07-25-08, 11:58 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

thanks for the response. Usually with suspension parts it's better to go with OEM. Is there any real difference between the OEM strut mount and the Kyb?
Old 07-25-08, 12:13 PM
Bradster
Lead Lap

I'm pretty sure that one of the major suppliers to Toyota/Lexus for parts of this nature is KYB and another Co whose name escapes me at the moment...I would not hesitate with KYB.
Old 07-26-08, 07:58 AM
fencera
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of months ago I used the KYB mounts at all four corners when replacing my suspension. They are well made and the only difference I could tell between the original and the KYB was the small rubber ring that was between the top of the strut mount and the sheet metal of the car. It was a minor variation.

I used new Lexus springs, Lexus struts, Lexus insulating "boots" and bump stops. Everything fit together perfectly with the kyb strut mount on top and I had no issues.

In driving the car, I can't find any difference or potential issues with the KYB units.

Bottom line: I can't tell any difference and they work perfectly.
Old 07-26-08, 08:10 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fencera
A couple of months ago I used the KYB mounts at all four corners when replacing my suspension. They are well made and the only difference I could tell between the original and the KYB was the small rubber ring that was between the top of the strut mount and the sheet metal of the car. It was a minor variation.

I used new Lexus springs, Lexus struts, Lexus insulating "boots" and bump stops. Everything fit together perfectly with the kyb strut mount on top and I had no issues.

In driving the car, I can't find any difference or potential issues with the KYB units.

Bottom line: I can't tell any difference and they work perfectly.
Thank you very much for your informative post. That definitely puts my mind at ease. You basically just saved me $100.

I'm in the process of saving up money and buying close to $1,000 in suspension parts from Carson Toyota ie. struts, lower ball joints, outer tie-rod ends, bumpers, insulators.

What year/model do you have an how big of a difference did new struts make?
Old 07-26-08, 09:47 AM
fencera
Rookie

So I have a '90 that has 320k miles. We've owned the car since new, so I have a good idea about the ride quality...

I replaced many of the parts you mentioned: strut mounts, struts, spings, bumpers, pads (don't forget the bottom in the back), lower ball joints, upper ball joints, new steering rack w/ new in and outer tie rods, new sway arm links and new front strut bar mounts.

The new suspension made a big difference of course. Around the same time I upgraded to 18" wheels. The ride is great now and there isn't a huge difference between the '90 and 06 430 we have (certainly not one that would justify the 40k+ difference in their current values!). The key reason I replaced the suspension was that the rear end seemed "weaker" when I loaded the car down.

It makes a big difference, but frankly, I spent about as much as the car is worth on the parts and it isn't worth it for most people. In retrospect, (in my case where I replaced the springs also), I wish I had just gotten the megan coilovers that I've read about here. They would have actually been cheaper and from what I can tell, they've gotten good reviews.

As a note: the upper control arms were Arnott arms. The first set I got had rubber covers over the ball joint that quickly fell apart, but they have sent me a new set under warranty with no prob. I also used some other 555 (look on ebay) lower ball joints. They were extremely well made. Everything else (ie: steering rack) was Lexus.
Old 07-26-08, 03:11 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

My car is worth about $3,500. 1991 Ls400 with 191,500 miles. No leaks, runs great.
It will cost me about $1,500 with install to redo entire suspension minus control arms, swar bars and another $400 for new tires. It may sound crazy putting $2,000 into a $3,500 car, but the engine runs strong and I wanted to stick with the ls400.

Of course I would love to upgrade to a used 1998 Ls400 but then again, I might have to pour even more money into that and atleast with my current car I know what it needs.....currently, if that makes sense.

I'm curious how well this car handles with new struts as mine are currently shot and the car feels like it could tip over going around a turn.
Old 07-26-08, 05:22 PM
fencera
Rookie

Yeah, that's pretty much the same calculation we have gone through numerous times. We need a reliable beater that we don't care if it gets a scratch or two. We've spent many times over the car's "value" in the past years keeping it running perfectly. Just so long it's not totaled, it's worth it.

If you don't want it to tip over in the corners, make sure to also upgrade the sway bar bushings (daizen part). I did that also and for $30 bucks or something, it was totally worth it.

Good luck. It's actually pretty straight forward work to replace everything. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Originally Posted by Sportznuts
My car is worth about $3,500. 1991 Ls400 with 191,500 miles. No leaks, runs great.
It will cost me about $1,500 with install to redo entire suspension minus control arms, swar bars and another $400 for new tires. It may sound crazy putting $2,000 into a $3,500 car, but the engine runs strong and I wanted to stick with the ls400.

Of course I would love to upgrade to a used 1998 Ls400 but then again, I might have to pour even more money into that and atleast with my current car I know what it needs.....currently, if that makes sense.

I'm curious how well this car handles with new struts as mine are currently shot and the car feels like it could tip over going around a turn.
Old 07-30-08, 12:23 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Yeah, that's pretty much the same calculation we have gone through numerous times. We need a reliable beater that we don't care if it gets a scratch or two. We've spent many times over the car's "value" in the past years keeping it running perfectly. Just so long it's not totaled, it's worth it.

If you don't want it to tip over in the corners, make sure to also upgrade the sway bar bushings (daizen part). I did that also and for $30 bucks or something, it was totally worth it.

Good luck. It's actually pretty straight forward work to replace everything. Let me know if you have any other questions.

How much time does it take to install sway bar bushings?

If I have the lower ball joints and tie-rod ends done is it a lot of extra work?
Old 07-30-08, 09:36 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradster
I'm pretty sure that one of the major suppliers to Toyota/Lexus for parts of this nature is KYB and another Co whose name escapes me at the moment...I would not hesitate with KYB.
KYB makes the shocks, and either Inoac or Toyoda Gosei makes the rubber mounts.

In the world of Japanese shocks, KYB supplies to most of the Japanese OEMs - but Toyota is their biggest client. Tokico is OEM to Nissan and Honda makes their own - Showa.
Old 08-03-08, 03:57 AM
fencera
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sportznuts
How much time does it take to install sway bar bushings?

If I have the lower ball joints and tie-rod ends done is it a lot of extra work?
About 20 minutes for the front and 20 minutes for the rear (in other words 10 minutes a piece, if that). It took me longest just to put the grease on the new ones...
Old 08-17-08, 12:16 AM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Where can I find Daisen sway bar bushings and how much time for install?
Old 08-20-08, 02:24 PM
DentGuyLS
Driver School Candidate

This is some good reading info. This should be a stickey. I took my 96 LS to my local tire place and just told them about the bad bump I feel in the front end when i go over a good bump or two. So they said the lower ball joints were bad and replaced them. Bump is still there. "Oh its more than likely your strut mounts and struts, but my mechanic does not want to mess with it". ...Perfect. So is my only other option the dealership? I guess they know the car better than anyone else. I'm sure this is going to cost a small fortune.
Old 08-20-08, 02:43 PM
Bradster
Lead Lap

My advice...Shop around and get a good price on KYB shock mounts along with 4 struts of your choice and find a qualified shop to install....it will wind up costing 1/2 of the dealership price...

Quick Reply: Do Kyb strut mounts fit OEM struts?