LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'91 LS400. It won't start. Video inside.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-08, 08:37 PM
UofACATS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation '91 LS400. It won't start. Video inside.

The electrical problems this car has experienced was a bad coil when I bought it. Replaced that, the spark plugs, and ignition wire set. It ran well for awhile until last week when it wouldn't start. It sounded really "weak" like the starter was just spinning the flywheel, and nothing else (same problem as right now). I thought it was the coil again so I pulled the coil and the wires and looked at all the plugs. Some were getting fuel, but obviously not spark as they were soaked, the others looked perfect. I hooked everything back up and the car started fine. Basically the problem went away without me fixing anything, and now it's back. I want to find the root of the problem.

--edit: I should add also I replaced the battery cable end for the ground, as the connection was suspect, and I just got the car running after it sat for a long time so it has 1/2 tank of old gas and 1/2 new. I've run through 1/2 tank of this mixture and the car seems fine besides it not starting. I've been driving it around as much as I can with no other problems.

Here is the video of the attempted start up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agwq7j3eqP8

Any ideas based on the sound?

Thanks.

Last edited by UofACATS; 06-23-08 at 08:42 PM. Reason: --edit:
Old 06-23-08, 08:53 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just based on the sound of it,, would say that the starter is totally shot.
Old 06-23-08, 09:33 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thats defenately the starter.

On well, look at the bright side - it will give you the chance to clean your intake manifold and service injectors while you're replacing it!
Old 06-23-08, 10:01 PM
UofACATS
Rookie

OK, makes sense then that the problem was identical as last week. I suppose the starter was on its way out.

Thanks guys
Old 06-25-08, 10:03 PM
UofACATS
Rookie

Wow. Researched the job that is replacing the starter. Sounds great
Old 06-25-08, 11:07 PM
drifto808
Rookie

haha not fun
Old 06-26-08, 06:28 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, the worst part is the egr tubes. the intake is easy.
Old 06-26-08, 06:58 AM
Photoinc
Pole Position

Wait till you try and get the starter bolts out.....that's a whole lotta fun!
Old 07-10-08, 11:08 AM
UofACATS
Rookie

So I got around to pulling the timing cover and the starter is turning over the motor just fine. (It could still be the starter, I'm just providing additional info before I get into that starter job).

From the drivers seat, I see a little bit of smoke when it cranks. It appears to be coming from the rear of the motor, say in between the motor and the firewall approximately.
Old 07-15-08, 06:16 PM
UofACATS
Rookie

It's not the starter.

Got it started today, it runs albeit roughly.

This is what happened. First off, the last time I had this problem (when I "fixed" it before without really fixing anything - read above) I pulled all the plugs from the drivers bank, looked at them, then installed them. I looked over everything and checked all the connections, etc. Multiple days passed. When I tried to start it to my surprise it started. Then a week passed and I started this thread.

Today: Same thing. I pulled the drivers spark plugs and checked for spark. Again, to my surprise, the engine cranked over. I saw spark in the one plug I tested.

I pulled the other 3 plugs and they looked ok but slightly fouled. As soon as I pulled the plug, a little white smoke drifted up out of the hole. This I assume was the smoke I saw earlier, it's the same kind of smoke as far as I could tell. Didn't have a tell-tale smell to it.

I installed the plugs and she fired up, but runs badly.

Ideas? Thanks fellas.
Old 07-16-08, 11:13 AM
UofACATS
Rookie

Update:

After starting it yesterday and keeping it running with my foot on the gas pedal just to keep it alive (running badly, wanting to die), it cleared up suddenly and runs perfectly. Smooth idle and the test drive felt like it's running on all cylinders.

I got back, turned it off, then restarted it just fine. Tried again, same result. Starts normally.

Then today I tried to start it and it started roughly for a second then smoothed out and ran well. When I returned from the drive I turned it off then started it again and it started normally. So, the problem is obviously more apparent when it's cold.

Ideas?

Thanks..
Old 07-19-08, 07:47 PM
teshere
Driver School Candidate

Default STARTER??? and strange sounds w/ trouble starting

1995 LS 400 140,000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agwq7j3eqP8

My Starter makes that same exact noise!!!

In Process of changing starter. I got it all back together(new plugs,gaskets,and belt while i was in there). Starter sounded the same??? (I may have forgotten to ground starter (w/nut on starter), so....ill be going back in? F@*&) but was still spinning and sounded same as before change.

I fear it may not be the starter itself??? HELP

HISTORY & SUCH

That weak spinning slow sound became worse over a few weeks. It makes that noise, for ever increasing periods of time, until the engine actually sounds like its turning over and firing.
On day i decided to change: car was taking for ever to start; also ABS and Check Engine lights both came on w/in seconds of each other...unrealted?

I dont suggest doing this job unless u have a real garage or sweet home setup. Not hard but time consuming.

---------------Update---2 days later---

went back in and put screw on side of starter I forgot....not bad, 2 hrs and done. Prob still exist and sounds like your video. I have repair manual and and trouble shooting other systems. I did find a lack of continuity in the starter relay by testing w/ multimeter. So, off to Lexus dealership tomorrow to pick one up. From homework I've done.....its the starter relay, Body ECU, or flywheel(least likely???, wouldnt there be someother associated noise?). Will update tomorrow or so

Last edited by teshere; 07-22-08 at 07:38 PM. Reason: b/c i can
Old 07-20-08, 09:25 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Looks like the starter is NOT engaging. However, once a while it does engage and turn the flexplate. I suggest u change your starter.