LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

spark plugs & fuel injector cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-08, 12:53 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

it smokes because the cleaner has been mixed with gas so there will always be a concentration of cleaner in the fuel. The smoke you're getting is from the carbon that was in the injectors or the combustion chamber. Seeing a sign of smoke is a good thing, as long as its not from oil, coolant, etc.

You can't expect to clean up the carbon and have no smoke. The carbon has to go somewhere...
Old 06-10-08, 10:11 AM
thadword
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
The 1st method isn't something you do by yourself unless you have all the necessary tools. It's not wise to invest in the fuel injector cleaner canister for a once time use.

Buy a quart of lucas fuel injector cleaner. When you're down to about 3 gallons (usually when the gas light comes on), dump the whole bottle in without refueling. It's okay to pour in the bottle without refueling. Then just run the tank down as much as you can without running out of gas.

But beware. Smoke will be coming out of your tail pipe within a day or maybe on the same day. There will be lots of smoke if your engine is kinda dirty. It took me about a week before I had no more smoke coming out. Everytime I start my car in the morning, there would be a large puff of smoke coming out . But during the drive, you dont really get any smoke so it's not like the car shoots out carbon smoke all the time, just mainly at startup.

I've done exactly what was said in your method number 2. I didn't see any smoke or any kind of dirt coming out of my exhaust (even though i was in the car). I drove the car over 20 plus miles and than i filled it up (i didn't want to run out and be stranded). So we'll see how it responds in the coming weeks.
Old 06-10-08, 07:04 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Then its possible that your engine isn't as dirty to begin with

You'll only get smoke during start up. Next time start up your car and stand outside. You wont really get smoke while driving.
Old 06-12-08, 07:12 PM
thadword
Driver

Then its possible that your engine isn't as dirty to begin with

You'll only get smoke during start up. Next time start up your car and stand outside. You wont really get smoke while driving.
I agree. I said to myself that my engine must not be that dirty.
Old 06-17-08, 08:41 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I Have Been Using Lucas Fuel Injection Cleaner For About 10 Years And If You Have A Lot Of Miles On Your Car You Can Put In Half A Bottle With About 5-8 Gallons Of Gas And You Will See A Difference With The Way Your Lexus Will Respond. One Of My Salesman Has A 2002 Saturn With The Small 4 Banger He Was Getting About 22 Miles A Gallon I Read This Blog About Adding Lots Of Lucas Fuel Injection Cleaner For The First Time We Did That He Jumped From 22.5 To 26 Miles Per Gallon And Lots More Power. Someting Of Interest I Recently Pulled Out My Platium Plugs On My Lexus With 102,000 Miles On Them And They Were Almost As Clean As New And Still Looked Liked They Could Go Another 20k I Figure The Lucas Cleaner Has Kept My Engine Very Clean Now I Have 206,000 Miles And The Lexus Runs Like New. My Last Smog The Guy Said That He Had Never Seen A 91 Lexus or Any Car Pass So Clean Here In California. Go Lucas.
Old 01-20-15, 12:27 PM
maharot22
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Depends how he cleans the injectors. You can send in your injectors to certain company for them to clean and bench test Some injectors are not compatible with certain cleaners. But since I doubt any of us are willing to have down time or the money to do it, pouring in a bottle of cleaner is the next best thing to do.

Have about 3-4 gallons of gas in the tank when you're doing this. Then drive for 20-30 miles or until you're near absolute emtpy, then refill. Just dont push it to the point where you run out of gas .
Just wanna share my 2cents, Running low on gas means you really put your Fuel pump at risk on burning out itself, Gas actually helps to cool the unit down, FP costs like an arm and leg and its a pain in the a$$ to replace, So the next smartest thing to do really is just keep putting them fuel/injector cleaners on the gas tank, this is the looooong method, or have a garage clean the injectors for you professionally. again, this is just my 2cent.