LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 LS 400 OEM Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-08, 03:31 PM
98LSfromNJ
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 LS 400 OEM Questions

Done more reading than my High School days, but specifics are hard to come by in this forum. My questions are these:

1. Want to put OEM HID lights in my 98, is it possible (dealer said no) if so, what do I need other then the HID unit? I know the OEM in 98 are not that good but OEM is more important to me

2. Is there any udated or new info on installing bluetooth handsfree (like Motorola HFI1000) by info I mean instructions?

3. Can you swap out a premium audio system with Nakamichi unit?

thanks much!!!
k
Old 05-20-08, 03:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

neither 1 nor 3 is worth it in any way. the nak audio was not much better over the "premium"

and the OEM hid would require new headlights, bulbs, ballasts, harness, and a LOT of wiring to 2 corners of the car for the levelling sensors, along with several computers to control all of it. several thousands of dollars would be required...
Old 05-20-08, 03:59 PM
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
neither 1 nor 3 is worth it in any way. the nak audio was not much better over the "premium"

and the OEM hid would require new headlights, bulbs, ballasts, harness, and a LOT of wiring to 2 corners of the car for the levelling sensors, along with several computers to control all of it. several thousands of dollars would be required...
Pure, how difficult would it be if he used my OEM HID headlights? What else does he need?
Old 05-20-08, 04:47 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

full harness, oem autolevel sensors, then wrie them to 2 corners of the car, and 1-2 OEM lexus computers to manage the autolevel.

at least 1-2grand...
Old 05-20-08, 04:52 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasbmo
Pure, how difficult would it be if he used my OEM HID headlights? What else does he need?
There is a lot more to an OEM HID setup than just the headlights. Definitely not worth converting to it.
Old 05-20-08, 05:38 PM
DIY LS400
Rookie

Why can't he just get the OEM HID headlight without the leveling system? As long as they're correctly leveled, I think it should be ok. All the people who retrofit HIDs don't have a leveling system.
Old 05-20-08, 06:11 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by DIY LS400
Why can't he just get the OEM HID headlight without the leveling system? As long as they're correctly leveled, I think it should be ok. All the people who retrofit HIDs don't have a leveling system.
because there isnt much difference between OEM hid reflectors and the non-hid reflectors with a properly made conversion kit.

also, retros are hardmounted, sticking bulbs in the OEM hid headlights and not using the sensors and computers to deal with the motors could cause them to move, since they dont "lock" into place.

honestly, the only benefit of having oem hid instead of a converted one is the autolevelling system.
Old 05-20-08, 10:48 PM
DIY LS400
Rookie

I didn't know the difference between OEM HID and halogens wasn't much. reflector HIDs FTL!
Old 05-21-08, 12:04 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

there IS a design difference, but it wont be much of an improvement over a properly made (positioned) hid kid.
Old 05-21-08, 05:23 AM
98LSfromNJ
Driver

full harness, oem autolevel sensors, then wrie them to 2 corners of the car, and 1-2 OEM lexus computers to manage the autolevel.

at least 1-2grand...
i've seen the HID units on Ebay for 500 each. that has everything (i assume) but the autolevel, wiring, computers correct or is there more?
Old 05-21-08, 10:25 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

that is JUST the headlight, those do NOT have the autolevel sensors, the harnesses, the brackets for the sensors, or the autolevel computers.
Old 05-21-08, 11:17 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by 98LSfromNJ
i've seen the HID units on Ebay for 500 each. that has everything (i assume) but the autolevel, wiring, computers correct or is there more?
In fall 1997, I was invited to a Lexus dealer event to see and drive the new 1998 LS400. I think only those who had previously bought new LS400s at the dealership were invited to this particular event.

I suspect one reason that the test driving started after dark was to show off the newly available HID headlights.

Several new 98 LS400s were available for LS owners to drive including a base 98 without HID and a fully loaded 98 with HID, air suspention, nav and everything else.

I remember that the light output from the non-HID halogen headlights on the 98 LS was incredibly good -- far better than the pathetic headlights on the 90 LS I was driving -- but not much different than the HID lights. The main difference between the HID and the standard headlights was that the light from the HID lights was whiter.

The HID option was cheap - only $500 - and a Lexus salesman complained loudly to me that he was getting a number of 98's without HID and everyone wanted HID because it was so cheap.

Since the halogen lights on the 98 are so good, I don't know if spending $$ on an HID conversion is very worthwhile unless you are just going for the look.
Old 05-21-08, 01:19 PM
98LSfromNJ
Driver

Originally Posted by Kansas
In fall 1997, I was invited to a Lexus dealer event to see and drive the new 1998 LS400. I think only those who had previously bought new LS400s at the dealership were invited to this particular event.

I suspect one reason that the test driving started after dark was to show off the newly available HID headlights.

Several new 98 LS400s were available for LS owners to drive including a base 98 without HID and a fully loaded 98 with HID, air suspention, nav and everything else.

I remember that the light output from the non-HID halogen headlights on the 98 LS was incredibly good -- far better than the pathetic headlights on the 90 LS I was driving -- but not much different than the HID lights. The main difference between the HID and the standard headlights was that the light from the HID lights was whiter.

The HID option was cheap - only $500 - and a Lexus salesman complained loudly to me that he was getting a number of 98's without HID and everyone wanted HID because it was so cheap.

Since the halogen lights on the 98 are so good, I don't know if spending $$ on an HID conversion is very worthwhile unless you are just going for the look.
You are exactly right, I am going for the look and I want it as it was in 98. Its a shame because if I was more patient, I think I could have found what I was looking for. HID, Wood steering/shifter. I want my 98 to be OEM loaded and crisp, very crisp.
Old 05-21-08, 02:48 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

youd be better off financially to sell your 98 and buy one with it from OEM, otherwise ur looking at a minimum of 1-2THOUSAND just for the headlights conversion, not including installation.
Old 05-21-08, 04:58 PM
98LSfromNJ
Driver

Unhappy

youd be better off financially to sell your 98 and buy one with it from OEM, otherwise ur looking at a minimum of 1-2THOUSAND just for the headlights conversion, not including installation.
Pure i respect your knowledge and I have not read all of your 9000 posts but that has got to be some of worst advice (if it is serious) i have ever read......there is HID units on Ebay right now for parts only that have a hairline crack for $25, if i have a friend who installs that would chip away more from the cost.
My point being there is about a thousand different scenarios that could make it cheaper then a grand and i certainly would not have to sell my LS.

Again i respect your knowledge and i might honestly be missing something so help me out...

Quick Reply: 98 LS 400 OEM Questions