LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-02, 11:54 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Power Steering

This is weird. My power steering is all messed up and does not work. I was told that Rack on Pinoin is leaking and I do have smoke from my exhausts. Now sometimes, when I do start my car it wirks for like a minute or so and then dies again...possible problem? Anyone? What do I need to replace?

Thx
Old 02-08-02, 05:04 AM
additude
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Power Steering

Originally posted by retrodrive
This is weird. My power steering is all messed up and does not work. I was told that Rack on Pinoin is leaking and I do have smoke from my exhausts. Now sometimes, when I do start my car it wirks for like a minute or so and then dies again...possible problem? Anyone? What do I need to replace?

Thx
Ummm,

Good question.

Rack and Pinion does not leak. However the power cylinder might or the lines to it.

Smoke from the exhaust? Not related to Power Steering, unless P/S fluid is dripping on the exhaust manifold or pipes.

Be sure it's not condensation from the exhaust. That looks like smoke.

What is a "Wirk"? I couldn't find that word in the standard dictionary or the dictionary of mechanics terms.
Old 02-08-02, 06:50 PM
Kizoku
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hav about the same problems in my '91.......i took it to a mechanic and they told me my Rack and Pinion was leaking and i would have to buy another one, but they said that quite some time ago and havnt noticed a difference in steering at all...and i also hav the smoke come from the exhaust every so often.....i remember in a previous post it just meant worn valve guides......im pretty sure it isnt just condensation.......anyone else hav more information bout this issues?
Old 02-08-02, 07:58 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Gang,

If your losing p/s fluid and there is smoke from the exhaust....you have a leaking p/s idle up valve on the pump. Do a search in archives and you will see the threads.
Old 02-09-02, 08:44 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ToyLexmods
Gang,

If your losing p/s fluid and there is smoke from the exhaust....you have a leaking p/s idle up valve on the pump. Do a search in archives and you will see the threads.
Yes, I read something like that a few months back. Autozone rebuild P/S pump for $150 + $50 core charge. I suggest you try that route first, unless the rack & pinion is about the same price plus you have to re alignment the car.
I am thinking that if the rack is out, it is difficult to turn the steering wheel when cold (in the morning)...
Old 02-11-02, 08:52 AM
tacshose
Rookie

I had the same problem a couple months ago. My P/S would only sometimes work and it if it did it was only at high speeds(above 20mph) if i was going slow or making a turn from a stop it would take all my stregth to turn the wheel. I took it to the dealer and they said the valve in the pump was broken and it would cost around $600 to fix, well a new factory pump only cost $800 so i went with that and haven't had a problem since. At first the dealer thought the pumps filter was clogged with dirt and that why it didn't work, well they cleaned it out and it didn't fix anything so i guess thats when they turned to the valve as being the problem. Hope this helps and i would definitly make sure its the rack and pinion causing problems and not the pump or something else.
Old 02-11-02, 01:41 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wirk = work
my typing skillz

Anyway, I will try the valve thing and tell you what happened...thx