LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmission fluid, draining & flushing (The Mother thread)

Old 11-03-05, 12:05 PM
BWARD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amsoil synthetic Transmission Fluid??

Anyone have experience with this product?

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid is completely compatible with other synthetic and petroleum automatic transmission fluids. AMSOIL ATF is a universal, multifunctional fluid and greatly reduces the need for specialized fluid inventories and the possibilities of misapplication.

AMSOIL ATF is recommended for automotive and hydraulic applications requiring any of the following specifications:

GM DEXRON® II, DEXRON III
Ford MERCON®, MERCON® V
Chrysler ATF+ through ATF+4®
Honda Z-1 (Not for use in CVT transmissions)
Toyota Type T and T-IV
Mitsubishi/Hyundai Diamond SP II & III
Allison C-3, C-4
Caterpillar TO-2
Voith G1363
ZF TE-ML 14C
Mercedes Benz 236.1, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9
Old 11-03-05, 12:40 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would stick with Toyota T-IV
Old 11-03-05, 03:17 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down Toyota ATF the best

My buddy sells it and swears it rivals Toyota ATF as well as Mobil 1 Syn engine oil. I read the literature and although it is compelling I would stay away due to the replacement cost of the tranny and only use Toyota ATF.
Old 07-28-06, 10:34 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Default ATF - Drain and Fill

I just bought a 93LS for my daily driver earlier this week and found several posts about the tranny shutter and the cure in which people have changed to type IV Toyota Fluid. The owner had all the maintenance done over the years but I am assuming that they places he got it done put the Type II atf fluid in cause thats what the books say as well as all over the dipstick.

Anyways....I did a drain and fill last night and got about 3.8 quarts out. Is that about right???

Also, is it OK to mix the Type IV I put in with the Type II that I am assuming was in there??? It made a pretty good difference regarding the shutter and was a lot smoother at the 65-75 mph mark. Whats your thoughts???

Old 07-28-06, 11:06 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

type IV fluid replaced type II completely in the late 90s. since then dealerships have ONLY been putting in type IV on all trannies requiring TYPEII.
Old 07-28-06, 11:10 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

I'm pretty sure it's been awhile since this guy has done any service (fluid changes) for the tranny. I'm also pretty sure that he probably didn't have the dealer do the service. Would a shop put in Type II if it was serviced a few years back???

Would it be ok if Type IV was mixed with Type II???
Old 07-28-06, 11:23 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
I'm pretty sure it's been awhile since this guy has done any service (fluid changes) for the tranny. I'm also pretty sure that he probably didn't have the dealer do the service. Would a shop put in Type II if it was serviced a few years back???

it would be alright but i reco that u take the car to a dealer and get the tranny flushed good
Old 07-28-06, 02:02 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, its perfectly fine. Just make sure you only use T-IV fluid in it. 3.8q's sounds like a whole lot. Should have been about 2 for the LS

Anyhow, just use the dipstick to make sure you dont under, or over fill.
Old 07-28-06, 02:10 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Yes, its perfectly fine. Just make sure you only use T-IV fluid in it. 3.8q's sounds like a whole lot. Should have been about 2 for the LS

Anyhow, just use the dipstick to make sure you dont under, or over fill.

I thought 3.8 was alot as well from reading past posts. I measured all the fluid that was in the pan/container to make sure I put in what i took out. Wierd huh????

I may do this a couple more times and be done with it. I noticed a big difference just doing what I did last night.....so 2 more times should be perfect.

Old 07-28-06, 02:22 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I thought 3.8 was alot as well from reading past posts. I measured all the fluid that was in the pan/container to make sure I put in what i took out. Wierd huh????

I may do this a couple more times and be done with it. I noticed a big difference just doing what I did last night.....so 2 more times should be perfect.

Yes, i've noticed an improvment in the transmission after a drain and refill. Really noticed it in a friends 96, that wasnt serviced well in the dealer prior to the purchase. It was almost night and day. Make sure you drive a good amount in between to mix the fluid. Somethign along the lines of 50+ Miles.
Old 07-28-06, 02:33 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks man........I actually enjoy driving this LS alot. I haven't touched the GS all week
Old 07-28-06, 03:23 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks man........I actually enjoy driving this LS alot. I haven't touched the GS all week

That quote makes me so happy I definitely need to do this a couple times on my LS. I'll do it after I replace my lower ball joints. Man, learning to do all these things is so rewarding. You get to know your car better than you thought you could, and you save so much money becuase you're knocking off most of the things on a dealer's service list.

Last edited by Suneet; 07-28-06 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-29-06, 03:28 AM
ychachad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tranny Studder can be caused by the ECT program which shuts off the spark to the engine for a split sec . Make sure your plugs are good, new and in proper order. My tranny shudder dissapeared when I changed the plug gap to the proper size. If you took out 3.0q of liquid from your tranny it was over filled. If you put in 3.8 you overfilled it again. Check by using dipstick when tranny is hot 10 miles of driving.
Old 08-01-06, 06:07 PM
bankr
Driver School Candidate

I'm a newbie with 3 months under my belt in a 1999. Do these torque converters have drains so as to get more old fluid out? My '89 MB 420 SEL works this way, takes around 8 quarts.
Old 08-01-06, 10:42 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just flushed my tranny yesterday with a machine. They used 13 liters of fluid to make a complete flush of any residual. The 2000 LS manual shows 8.4L or 8.9 quarts for a dry fill and 2L or 2qts for a drain and fill.
My tranny is now much smoother but i do not have the more crisper shifting i was used to anymore even in PWR mode.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission fluid, draining & flushing (The Mother thread)