LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmission fluid, draining & flushing (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-05, 06:38 PM
persian451
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i remember paying $3.00 a quart for Toyota T-IV.. My vote still goes for T-IV. Besides, maxlife or not, the LS400 tranny is built like no other...
Old 01-27-05, 01:51 PM
ychachad
Pole Position

The Valvoline is an option, not an endorsement. Use it if you wish, or don't if you don't want to. I have never seen T-IV for $3.00, and besides, Toyota does not make any fluids, they are outsourced.
Old 01-27-05, 02:17 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Actually Amsoil synthetic ATF is compatable with Toyota type IV as well & has 3 times as long for drain intervals over conventional type IV ATF.
Old 02-04-05, 08:37 PM
LStyle
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny fluid

My friend has a 99 LS400 and bought the car about 3 years ago. The car had 80K miles on it. He took it to a machanic at 100K and he told him the tranny flouid was not replaced. He also told him not to change the flouid because it could do more harm than good. He now has 160K and the tranny is acting funny. He asked another machanic who said that changing the tranny wouldn't be bad. The Lexus dealer said that they can't ensure that changing the flouid won't hurt the tranny. What do you guys think. Should he risk the flouid change, maybe there are other otions. The flouid is dirty when you check it.
Old 02-04-05, 09:30 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LStyle
My friend has a 99 LS400 and bought the car about 3 years ago. The car had 80K miles on it. He took it to a machanic at 100K and he told him the tranny flouid was not replaced. He also told him not to change the flouid because it could do more harm than good. He now has 160K and the tranny is acting funny. He asked another machanic who said that changing the tranny wouldn't be bad. The Lexus dealer said that they can't ensure that changing the flouid won't hurt the tranny. What do you guys think. Should he risk the flouid change, maybe there are other otions. The flouid is dirty when you check it.
Transmission fluid should be changed every few years or 25-30K miles or so. I'm pretty sure it was done under the warranty service since it's called for. Most likely it now has probably 100k or so since it was last done, with that mileage he most certainly should change it by now.
Type T-IV Toyota fluid.

Edit: In three years your friend put 80K miles on it..... WOW!!! Where is he driving to?

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 02-04-05 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-05-05, 08:53 AM
LStyle
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SharpLS-96
Transmission fluid should be changed every few years or 25-30K miles or so. I'm pretty sure it was done under the warranty service since it's called for. Most likely it now has probably 100k or so since it was last done, with that mileage he most certainly should change it by now.
Type T-IV Toyota fluid.

Edit: In three years your friend put 80K miles on it..... WOW!!! Where is he driving to?
He used the car for Limo business at first now it's just a daily driver.
Old 02-05-05, 09:16 AM
Christian
Pole Position

Hello,

he should do a complete flush and also clean the pan and change the stainer. It is pretty easy just look at www.lexls.com

I just did it last monday.

Chris
Old 02-05-05, 02:09 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

I've heard that before and I don't understand why that phrase is still around. The crud continues to build and the additives in the fluid eventually lose their properties. I believe that the thinking is that the damage is done and no matter what, it's going to be a worst case scenario. By then, probably true but a $100 flush is still worth an attempt compared to a $1,800+ tranny job.

My Toyota guy said failures can happen as early as 60K miles but usually with out any intervention (no fluid changes) he's sees them go at 120K-160K miles. By then, most are looking to dump the car so that is why the tranny may not be serviced...the owners don't think or care long term. And certainly not for the next owner.

those who take that attitude.

Ya never know and a fresh fluid may make it happy and continue to drive fine.
Old 02-08-05, 12:23 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Red face

I'd also do & suggest a 100% fluid change......you can use the Toyota Type IV fluid OR Amsoil synthetic ATF which is compatable with Toyota type IV......hopefully, the tranny is not badly damaged or you have problems.
Old 02-08-05, 04:46 AM
ychachad
Pole Position

Do a complete flush with T-IV or Valvoline T-IV compatible fluid. Then you can do the 2 quart change from the pan at every oil change.
BTW, I drove 60,000 miles in 17 months on my car visiting my family every or every other weekend. I drove on Friday after work, got there around midnight, spent Saturday, drove back on Sunday. Around 1,000 miles at constant speeds between 80-100mph. When your children live 500 miles away, you'll abuse your body, you'll rag any car, you'll drive any distance to see them.

Originally Posted by SharpLS-96
Type T-IV Toyota fluid.

Last edited by ychachad; 02-08-05 at 04:51 AM.
Old 02-09-05, 09:37 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Wink

Amsoil is the best synthetic ATF available on the market that is compatable with Toyota type IV.
Old 02-10-05, 10:35 AM
oversteer
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

The problem is that sometimes changing out old fluid with a flush will cause some of the crud to dislodge and result in a failure. The reason the guy said not to change it is that he didn't want to be on the hook in case something happened. You should just tell them to do it anyway and you'll sign a piece of paper saying you won't sue them. It's not their fault that the owner went 80K between fluid changes. Not changing it out only makes it worse and there is no guarantee that the damage was irreversible at 80K.
Old 02-12-05, 07:06 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

If the tranny is going to go......it will sooner or later so even if you don't do any fluid change......it's just a matter of time.
Old 02-12-05, 10:35 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
If the tranny is going to go......it will sooner or later so even if you don't do any fluid change......it's just a matter of time.
Agreed, it's a mechanical mechanism with any number of production problems that when the time comes is going to exact a toll. Some are fortunate and can drive the car for near forever. Others, just get that one that is going to be a problem.

In this case, just change it and if anything do the 2 quart drain each oil change. Could have the pan dropped and the screen checked too.
Old 04-09-05, 04:24 PM
Curt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Curt
My transmission has one very minor flaw. If I'm traveling at highway speed and I accelerate, I hear or feel (I'm not sure which, since it is so slight) a little rumble that lasts for about one second. At all other times the transmission works perfectly. I'm not planning to do anything about it except change the fluid. If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.
I thought I'd post a followup in case anyone else has the same symptoms I had. I've been changing 2 quarts of Toyota T-IV transmission fluid every once in a while. I've done about 5 changes so far. My fluid is dark brownish red, not bright cherry red. But it's a lot better than the very dark brown that it was when I bought the car. The big news is that my tiny complaint has completely disappeared. I'll still keep on changing my fluid (or maybe do the flush mentioned above) to try to get to the bright cherry red color. But already the transmission is as smooth as a baby's but.
Curt

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid, draining & flushing (The Mother thread)