LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmission fluid, draining & flushing (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-09, 06:31 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

put in what i just recommended, we sell it to our shops and it works, the only difference between fluids is additives...the lube gard takes care of that so shops dont have to stock every fluid
Old 11-02-09, 03:43 PM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pyton, I clicked your link. Interesting. Would you recommend it as a general additive even if the ATF is "pure".
Old 11-02-09, 04:03 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by python
put in what i just recommended, we sell it to our shops and it works, the only difference between fluids is additives...the lube gard takes care of that so shops dont have to stock every fluid
This is very very wrong, and i strongly disagree. (edited)

Toyota T-iV is much more than a friction modified Dexron/Mercon spec fluid. there is SOME overlap in the properties but not enough to be considered the "same" in any way.

use a fluid off this list http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...l_ATF_3309.asp

use anything made to meet the JWS-3309 spec.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 11-02-09 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-03-09, 07:00 AM
python
Lexus Champion

to answer ur question azhotls...if u have type 4 in there then there is no reason to put in the lubegard,if the wrong fluid has been put in then yes u can use it. p/d im assuming ur questioning my statement u have in bold letters...ok i could be off on that one.
i will clue u all in on parts for these cars though. first of all certain things need to be OEM such as the starter,alternator,knock sensors and a/c unit,i also recommend using the factory plug wires.now when i say oem i dont mean u have to run to the dealer to get ur parts. anytime u can buy a denso starter,alternator or whatever and its rebuilt, denso rebuilds that unit to oem specs and im here to tell u they are VERY reliable! also toyota engineers parts for their cars but does not manufacture their parts,meaning they are reboxed and the name is put on the package.i have opened up boxes for some of our ECHLIN parts and it has toyota right on the part, one more thing...if u are looking for a part u can call the lexus dealership and get a part number and then call toyota and see if they have it,will save u money and its the exact same part
Old 11-03-09, 11:52 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by python
to answer ur question azhotls...if u have type 4 in there then there is no reason to put in the lubegard,if the wrong fluid has been put in then yes u can use it. p/d im assuming ur questioning my statement u have in bold letters...ok i could be off on that one.
i will clue u all in on parts for these cars though. first of all certain things need to be OEM such as the starter,alternator,knock sensors and a/c unit,i also recommend using the factory plug wires.now when i say oem i dont mean u have to run to the dealer to get ur parts. anytime u can buy a denso starter,alternator or whatever and its rebuilt, denso rebuilds that unit to oem specs and im here to tell u they are VERY reliable! also toyota engineers parts for their cars but does not manufacture their parts,meaning they are reboxed and the name is put on the package.i have opened up boxes for some of our ECHLIN parts and it has toyota right on the part, one more thing...if u are looking for a part u can call the lexus dealership and get a part number and then call toyota and see if they have it,will save u money and its the exact same part

uhh ok, though i wasnt talking about parts, just fluid

i've never had a problem using high quality OEM-quality aftermarket parts (a la Denso, ishino stone, etc...) so i dont really know where you pulled that from
Old 11-03-09, 06:22 PM
python
Lexus Champion

the only part of that reply directed to u was that one statement...everything else was info some of the newer guys can use as a guide to make informed decisions on buying parts
Old 11-05-09, 04:05 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Chances are the Mercon V used could also meet Toyota T-IV specs - if it states so on the label. I know the newer "universal" fluids are rated to meet all but ATF-WS/Dex VI/Mercon LV specs.
Old 11-06-09, 06:11 AM
python
Lexus Champion

mercon v is for ford transmissions...merc 4 is for chrysler and 6 is for gm
Old 11-08-09, 02:33 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^ true, but Lubrizol and Afton/Ethyl are marketing add packs for ATF that can take care of pretty much all non-low viscosity ATF requirements since most of them have similar frictional needs.

Personally, I get T-IV and ATF-WS at a very good price.
Old 11-08-09, 02:36 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called a local Lexus dealer and they wanted $9.50 for a quart of T-IV. After I slammed the phone down on the receiver, I dialed up a Toyota dealership two miles away and was quoted $5.36 for a quart. Sold.
Old 11-09-09, 11:08 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermactor
I called a local Lexus dealer and they wanted $9.50 for a quart of T-IV. After I slammed the phone down on the receiver, I dialed up a Toyota dealership two miles away and was quoted $5.36 for a quart. Sold.
I recently bought a good sum for 4/qt from a Toyota dealer. The variation in pricing is immense.
Old 12-09-09, 09:15 PM
mr.ajandkj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny 'flush' question

Planning to do a fluid exchange on my tranny over Christmas vacation on my new-to-me '95 LS with 157k. Records do not indicate it has been done. I also want to drop the pan for inspection and filter replacement.

Question is: Should i do the exhange before or after dropping pan and changing filter? I don't figure the fluid exchange will stir up much new junk, so am thinking to do the pan/filter first and then the flush. Thoughts?
Old 12-09-09, 09:50 PM
VIP_Rob
Driver School Candidate

yes do it but use only toyota type at -IV flush with 8 or so quarts
Old 12-12-09, 07:20 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

drop the pan, change the filter, then do the flush. i'm assuming you're using some kind of trans fluid exchange machine?
Old 12-16-09, 07:07 PM
thefed
Driver School Candidate

Well, after about 800 miles, I ended up calling Lexus...asked them what they put in...they said dexron? wtf? so i jung up and called toyota...they said they use chevron (chevron 3 i think?). wtf. i told them i want type 4...he said ok.

when i got there, it was a 30 minute fiasco explaining what i wanted. they said they use chevron. toyota dealer called lexus and they told em dexron again. i explained i wanted type 4. he asked why? i said it doesnt matter, but im confident that's what it needs. so i showed him dipstick....it says toyota type 2. he couldnt find that in stock. i explained they dont carry it, but type IV is backwards compatible. him "oh, really? learn something new every day"

i watched them crack the bottles of type IV and scratch their heads along the way. they ended up giving me $20 off because a 45 min appt took them 3 hrs.

wtf

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid, draining & flushing (The Mother thread)