LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

had to trade in the LS

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-08, 01:23 AM
tallman316
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy had to trade in the LS

had a lot more problems than i thought with my old LS400. it was costing me ALL my money that could have been saved if it didn't have these problems. so it's gone and now i have a 2000 Cavalier Z24, which is WAAAY faster than the LS. i think the previous owner souped it up a bit but it's all good. I LOVE SPEED, ACCELERATION, HANDLING, TIRES SCREECHING, HIGH REVS, G FORCES and so on so... i don't really miss the Lexus, sorry peeps, But i need the lightweight gas saver with the sportiness. It's just more fun to drive, more mods, more everything and cheaper repair costs. that's good for my pockets.

so again sorry peeps but no more Lexus for me.
Old 04-20-08, 02:27 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tallman316
had a lot more problems than i thought with my old LS400. it was costing me ALL my money that could have been saved if it didn't have these problems. so it's gone and now i have a 2000 Cavalier Z24, which is WAAAY faster than the LS. i think the previous owner souped it up a bit but it's all good. I LOVE SPEED, ACCELERATION, HANDLING, TIRES SCREECHING, HIGH REVS, G FORCES and so on so... i don't really miss the Lexus, sorry peeps, But i need the lightweight gas saver with the sportiness. It's just more fun to drive, more mods, more everything and cheaper repair costs. that's good for my pockets.

so again sorry peeps but no more Lexus for me.
so you switched from a 1993 1st gen LS

into a CAVALIER.....wow....

I LOVE SPEED, ACCELERATION, HANDLING, TIRES SCREECHING, HIGH REVS, G FORCES
seeing as how ur LS fulfills all of the above except the underlined:
-the ld9 motor in ur z24 peaks at like 6-6.5k rpm(maybe what, 3-500rpm over ur old LS)
-has the SAME LISTED 0-60time as your lexus (http://www.lexus.com/contact/pdf/1993/1993LSspecs.pdf vs. http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/che...826/specs.html)
-is slower by a significant amount at the top end
-the LS when intro'd was one of the best handling big sedans of its time

add that up and i dont blame the LS you had, i blame you for buying a car far and away from the "sporty" car you wanted in the first place.
Old 04-20-08, 02:30 AM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hahahaha....cavalier
Old 04-20-08, 05:25 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Is this a joke of some sort? Because I am not even mildly amused!!!
Old 04-20-08, 08:16 AM
JBrewster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol Souped up Cavalier. You won't feel any difference in speed with basic mods to a car like that...
Old 04-20-08, 08:26 AM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

EDITED: images like this will not be tolerated. please be courteous to other members.

Last edited by GRAND_LS 4; 04-22-08 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-20-08, 08:40 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tallman316
i don't really miss the Lexus, sorry peeps
To each their own, but there will come a time when you will miss your Lexus. Especially when your Cavalier will show its reliability.
Old 04-20-08, 11:37 AM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Well, I'm not going to beat up on anyone opting for a car more in line with what he can afford. For me, I've found my LS to be less expensive than other cars I've had mainly due to its reliability. But I found a well maintained car and I can imagine the costs one might run into with a car with issues.

Last edited by GKLCPA; 04-20-08 at 04:46 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-20-08, 12:13 PM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hahahah a Cavalier faster than an LS???? Yeah this has got to be a joke.

You complain about spending money repairing your LS??? Then talk about more mods for the Cavalier??? So...you're going to supplement your spending on repairs of the LS with MODS to the CAVALIER???? Considering how much you love speed, I'm assuming you're going to be WOT everywhere you go like all other 4cyl tuners, and in the end save barely more money! I hope it doesn't have more than 100k miles on it. You're in for a rude awakening on repairs!

wow...
Old 04-20-08, 01:44 PM
Dutch
Pole Position

hey, lets not beat up on this guy, he'll eventually find out for himself the build quality of a cavalier.
Old 04-20-08, 01:56 PM
TropikalLS
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Biggest issue I have
Old 04-20-08, 02:20 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

I drove a rental car at least a couple of years ago and it was a cavalier. Hard to compare the two, they're not even in the same class. The LS has spoiled me and it would be hard for me to drive another car.
Old 04-21-08, 12:08 AM
tallman316
Driver School Candidate

wow! sorry to sound like i bashed the ls but the one i had just wasn't right. when i first got it it was great but it didn't take long for, what seamed like, endless problems to pop up. the repairs soared out of control. like everybody on here says "they're good if the previous owner takes care of it when you get it and you continue the trend", more or less. the previous owner didn't do that for the one i bought so... and for what was wrong with mine, it just wasn't working out for me at all. hey don't get me wrong i loves the ride quality and the handling and the top speed but i ended up w/ p/s problems and it was the pump and other things going wrong with that. i never said i hate the LS but the one i got was a lemon. sorry if i offended everyone here. got kinda carried away with the cavalier comparison. again didn't mean to offend anyone. my apologies.
Old 04-21-08, 09:22 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think you offended anyone, It's just not a realistic comparison to make. A V8 top of the line luxury sedan and a 4cyl low end american coupe?

Does the cavalier have intake, headers, exhaust, pulleys, ignition mods or fuel mods?? What bolt-ons does it have??

What were all the problems with your LS?? I'm kind of interested in that. But all-in-all if your happy with the cavalier then thats all that matters. Just don't think it's faster in anyway...because unless it's got some wicked mods and forced induction...there's most likely no way.
Old 04-21-08, 09:24 AM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jcrome04
I don't think you offended anyone, It's just not a realistic comparison to make. A V8 top of the line luxury sedan and a 4cyl low end american coupe?
that about sums it up.....

Quick Reply: had to trade in the LS