LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

piston rings issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-08, 03:54 PM
tallman316
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation piston rings issue

i had someone explain my white smoke issue and they said it smelled like my piston rings were bad. OK, now this is a major repair and will it be worth it since i got the car for 2 grand? does anybody have a clue on the cost? I'm freakin out man was this car worth it?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-05-08, 04:06 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

White smoke is usually a blown head gasket, not rings. You have to do a wet/dry compression check to see if your rings are bad... Ive only seen maybe 1 LS in my life have the rings go bad.. are you losing coolant at all?
Old 04-05-08, 04:07 PM
bigste
Driver School Candidate

Stop panniking! White smoke at start up points to the valve under the power steering pump. Your engine is burning PAS fluid not oil. Oil would be blue smoke. There are lots of threads around so have a search.
Old 04-05-08, 04:17 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

leaking valve on the power steering pump, not a difficult fix.
Old 04-05-08, 04:26 PM
tallman316
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RTIS250
White smoke is usually a blown head gasket, not rings. You have to do a wet/dry compression check to see if your rings are bad... Ive only seen maybe 1 LS in my life have the rings go bad.. are you losing coolant at all?
not loosing any coolant and not having any overheating issues at all. but its also knocking a bit which i heard was the lifters. is this true? if so how much for repair?
Old 04-05-08, 05:16 PM
turbosix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i really doubt there is anything wrong with your car at all...
Old 04-05-08, 05:21 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

You should also notice any issue with your acceleration, since with any worn piston rings, you can also feel a lack of torque.
Old 04-05-08, 09:16 PM
tallman316
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
You should also notice any issue with your acceleration, since with any worn piston rings, you can also feel a lack of torque.
i do have an issue with my acceleration and experience a lack of torque, most of the time. very rarely will it run smooth.
Old 04-05-08, 09:51 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

before you start moaning about how you've blown this or broken that, do what several of us have suggested and CHECK THE PS SYSTEM.

take a read through the nice big Power Steering Bible stickied at the top of the page and troubleshoot.
Old 04-06-08, 10:16 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah- headgaskets are almost unheard of problems on the LS400.

Now if you had a 1990-95 4-Runner or a Cressida, or a 1991-95 Acura Legend, I would say different.
Old 04-07-08, 05:37 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

My LS smokes, white smoke -- Smells rich just randomly. (The IACV (ACV) is plugged) So it isn't PS fluid. For instance, one day on cold start it might smoke for 3 minutes then stop.

Next day, not at all.

Then 2 more days later,.. It might smoke for 15minutes... again not again for a few days.

Coolant isn't dropping,.. definitely a strong smell to the smoke, and smoke is very light, like the temperature were about 40degrees or so.

I'm sort of stumped on it. Car runs fine,.. just not sure what would cause this. (It occurs even when temps are high enough for it *not* to be steam from the cold surrounding ambient air).

Not trying to hi-jack here,.. just while you are talking about smoking. =)

To the OP:

Best thing I know to do is monitor all your fluids,.. Check them daily or ever other day. Mark the coolant with an erasable marker if you have to. -- Just remember that the coolant varies a great deal on cold and warmed up. Best to measure it completely cold. Then check before you start the car each morning.
Old 04-07-08, 06:46 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

#1 check your ps system. the car could be running like crap because it's trying to burn ps fluid along with the intake charge. it's almost never the engine.
Old 04-07-08, 10:39 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Neofate
My LS smokes, white smoke -- Smells rich just randomly. (The IACV (ACV) is plugged) So it isn't PS fluid. For instance, one day on cold start it might smoke for 3 minutes then stop.

Next day, not at all.

Then 2 more days later,.. It might smoke for 15minutes... again not again for a few days.

Coolant isn't dropping,.. definitely a strong smell to the smoke, and smoke is very light, like the temperature were about 40degrees or so.

I'm sort of stumped on it. Car runs fine,.. just not sure what would cause this. (It occurs even when temps are high enough for it *not* to be steam from the cold surrounding ambient air).

Not trying to hi-jack here,.. just while you are talking about smoking. =)

To the OP:

Best thing I know to do is monitor all your fluids,.. Check them daily or ever other day. Mark the coolant with an erasable marker if you have to. -- Just remember that the coolant varies a great deal on cold and warmed up. Best to measure it completely cold. Then check before you start the car each morning.
the motor runs VERY rich when in closed-loop.
Old 04-08-08, 01:30 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
the motor runs VERY rich when in closed-loop.
So PD -- Your telling me that when it runs rich, it is WHITE smoke? Does my description indicate simply a very rich environment at startup and sometimes longer at random?

I'm just so paranoid its a leaking headgasket or something, slight leak. Hope to god it isn't.

In any event, I know the car isn't supposed to smoke to this degree under normal conditions. If you do think it is a rich environment causing the smoke (if running rich causes white smoke) -- Then would something like O2 sensors or whatnot be at fault potentially?

Its no big deal to me, except that no one likes to see smoke coming out of their exhaust, and its embarassing lol.

Thanks
Old 04-08-08, 01:40 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

when the motor is running a little rich it will spew out BLACK smoke, when its REALLY DUMPING IN FUEL it can be white.

if ur so worried about it being a HG just look in the oil, if indeed it is a HG then ur oil will resemble at least somewhat a "milkshake" or "chocolate milk" like consistency. if ur STILL not convinced then run a pressure test on all the cylinders and/or the cooling system.

Quick Reply: piston rings issue