LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

HELP AGAIN! I think we getting RIPPED OFF!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-02, 06:20 PM
Static911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP AGAIN! I think we getting RIPPED OFF!!!!!!

On January 17th, my mom brought the 1993 LS400 for the 180,000 mile service. She was charged $885 for labor and $400 for parts for a total of $1,200. They did the usual inspection of sparks, brake lines, filter, etc etc.

TODAY, we brought in our car cuz I noticed the usual clicking noise in the engine. WELL, they NOW say the "throttle position sensor" needs to be replaced for $321 (parts and labor).

ALSO, the "Engine Gas [Recycle] pipe" also known as EGR; something to do with smog. Costs of parts and labor: $821!

Side note: Back in december, I had both my O2 sensors replaced for $450 at Park Place Lexus Dealership.

we have not made up our minds to go ahead and do ANOTHER $1200 worth of repairing.

Also, on another note, our customer service wasn't exactly honest. He kept trying to make up explainations to my mom, since she does not speak perfect English. Ie: car is getting old, more problems.

Thanks a bunch
Old 02-01-02, 02:47 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default That is why you need to stay away from the dealers.

be like me!
I have never been to the dealer and I always go to my mech. who knows enough about hondas,toyotas.When I had my stealth and 92 legend I was taking it to him.
I know how hard it is to find competent mech. who can work on lexury cars.In most states when the ASE mechs. get tired of working for the dealerships they go on their own and open up an independent Honda/Toyota shops in the neighborhoods.Trust me, any independent toyota mechanic must have at least worked on a toyota v8.Find you an independent toyota around the neighborhood.
I really wonder how some folks will spend at least $3500 for the air ride shocks for all 4 corners on a car that is only worth $10,000(1990).These shocks cost $900 at the dealer
For ex. my mech is willing to change my fuel filter for $20 and do you think the dealer would be the only person to work on a filter?
I only go to my dealer if I have an SRS or check engine problem.
My 2 cents!!
Old 02-02-02, 08:25 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Static,

Exactly why do each of the parts need replaced? Which is causing the ticking? Is there any check engine lite?

Always ask exacty why a part needs replaced. If you plan on keeping this car...you better have a service manual to atleast double check any diagnosis to see if it seems correct. The manual is good for that.

Case in point. My mother drives a very nice 92LS and she is back in Iowa. Last month had some p/s noise and increased effort to turn. I said ok....take it in to the dealer and have it diagnosed...she did...result was a big...uh, we dont know exactly....but would like to replace the ps pump and the entire rack and pinion. WTF! did you people even test the p/s pressures like the service manual talks about. Its the first step in diagnosing any p/s problem. Nope they did not check it. Absolute idiots...I told her to take the car out of there as fast as possible and I called a good friend who happens to have opened up a private shop. He checked the pressure and it was low...duh and the service manual points to the p/s pump which is a known failure point on these cars.

So, I happen to have all the Lexus manuals for our cars....and even if I am not able to do the work myself...ie in another state :-) I can double check any dealer/shop touching the car to see if the techs are following the protocol properly.

Hope this helps...and yes, at 180k miles the service bills can add up in a hurry. Parts are expensive....even with a discount.
Old 02-03-02, 10:08 PM
Static911

your VERY right. I am going to purchase a manual tomarrow. Actually, your VERY VERY RIGHT!

thanks a LOT! Shoot, I totally forgot about that.

Actually, he said the clicking noise was our "injectors" and that it was normal for older model cars. Since I don't know much about cars, I can't really disput him and he was a technician at that Lexus dealership for 6 years (If I remember correctly) before becoming a service representative.

static911
Old 02-07-02, 09:08 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't bring older car to the dealer. It indicated to the dealer that the owner trusted the dealer and they can tell the owner anything.
If you and your family going to drive older car, go buy the repair manual, it goog reading when the car have problem. The manual cost about $90 for me. It may cost you $200, but think of it this way. The manual show you how to trouble shoot problem, once you fix it yourself and save $1200 at the dealer. Did you just save yourself $1000.
Call 800-908-6968 Carson Toyota, ask for Steve Ganz or Gordon about the manual or other Lexus parts. You can also shop around the internet for cheaper price.
I don't know much about engine just 3 years ago. Because of thing happen to me like what they did to you and your mother, I decided to learn how to fix the car myself and only bring to the shop what I can't fix. But by that time I pretty much know what wrong with the car and approximately how long does it take for the job

VQT,
Originally posted by Static911
your VERY right. I am going to purchase a manual tomarrow. Actually, your VERY VERY RIGHT!

thanks a LOT! Shoot, I totally forgot about that.

Actually, he said the clicking noise was our "injectors" and that it was normal for older model cars. Since I don't know much about cars, I can't really disput him and he was a technician at that Lexus dealership for 6 years (If I remember correctly) before becoming a service representative.

static911