LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Is octane booster beneficial for the 1UZFE?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-08, 04:24 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is octane booster beneficial for the 1UZFE?

My friend in Scottsdale that drives an 01' Ack CL Type S says that I should use an octane booster once in awhile to "wake up" the engine. You know, to get the "spider webs" out. Any of you use booster? Is it similar to a good fuel injector cleaner? If you do use either one do you notice the car running any smoother or an increase in mpg?
Old 04-01-08, 04:52 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i used octane booster a few times when i was racing my friend. it felt like it pulled faster and every point shifted smoothly. im not sure if it gave me better gas mileage. since everytime i had it in i was full throttling all over the place lol. i dont know something about it were i touch the throttle and it just wanted to go. unless that was all my imagination. its suppose to increase octane counts. so the higher the octane the more power you get. i believe our ls400 recommend 93 octane but in sd we only have 91 lol. fuel injector cleaner different to me. thats like a sedative that you add to your tank. to clean out all the gunk on your fuel injectors. what part of sd are you in i can give you fuel injector cleaner if you want one haha.
Old 04-01-08, 04:59 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PK_Celsior
what part of sd are you in i can give you fuel injector cleaner if you want one haha.
I wish i lived in san diego, im actually in south dakota. Sucks because i have a "big city" attitude like most of you that live in one. My stupid town is only 100K for population.

But you could still ship me one of those injector cleaners.
Old 04-01-08, 05:14 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1995LS400
I wish i lived in san diego, im actually in south dakota. Sucks because i have a "big city" attitude like most of you that live in one. My stupid town is only 100K for population.

But you could still ship me one of those injector cleaners.
let me collect some up first. so i dont send out just one. i wonder if i can even ship them out haha. since they are some what flammable.
Old 04-01-08, 05:19 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your friend is an idiot.
Old 04-01-08, 05:21 PM
Iansaltes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PK_Celsior
let me collect some up first. so i dont send out just one. i wonder if i can even ship them out haha. since they are some what flammable.
yeah, techincally you are not allowed to ship them for that reason...with UPS you could, but it is considered a hazmat.....it probably wouldnt be worth it, sorry 1995LS!!
Old 04-02-08, 02:23 PM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just go to an auto parts store and buy your own?????????

And octane doesn't make your car faster, maybe more efficient?

Octane is the fuels abillity to resist combustion, so it doesn't ignite prematurely when boosting around.
Old 04-02-08, 02:39 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

No, it doesn't make the car faster -- But if your engine is leaning towards the detonation, or even slight precombustion side.. Octane boosting will make the burn more efficient and thus increase horsepower where Octane is *lacking*. IE: Boosted applications, high rev engines, high compression engines especially. The LS is designed for 91. Though 93 makes them run a bit smoother imo.

Boosting that 93 to say, 95'ish would make a noticeable difference, but don't expect a second off your 0-60 or anything. --

Sort of like how Airplanes and other engines use 100+ octane due to compression and design. If the engine wasn't designed to make efficient use of it, it isn't going to do much good... if the engine is in need of it, it will utilize it as much as it can.

So, there is diminishing returns. Boosting 91 would probably show a result. Boosting 93, slight.

Boosting more than 2 points would not.
Old 04-02-08, 02:39 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Another random though -- I've thought several times if it might be 'cheaper' to buy 87 gasoline and put a bottle of Octane booster in with it. Though I think normal Octane boosters only raise by 10, which is 1 point. So it would still be 88, maybe 89 at best.
Old 04-02-08, 02:56 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jcrome04
Why not just go to an auto parts store and buy your own?????????

And octane doesn't make your car faster, maybe more efficient?

Octane is the fuels abillity to resist combustion, so it doesn't ignite prematurely when boosting around.
Higher octane = less efficient once the ECM is at full spark advance.

Originally Posted by Neofate
No, it doesn't make the car faster -- But if your engine is leaning towards the detonation, or even slight precombustion side.. Octane boosting will make the burn more efficient and thus increase horsepower where Octane is *lacking*. IE: Boosted applications, high rev engines, high compression engines especially. The LS is designed for 91. Though 93 makes them run a bit smoother imo.

Boosting that 93 to say, 95'ish would make a noticeable difference, but don't expect a second off your 0-60 or anything. --

Sort of like how Airplanes and other engines use 100+ octane due to compression and design. If the engine wasn't designed to make efficient use of it, it isn't going to do much good... if the engine is in need of it, it will utilize it as much as it can.

So, there is diminishing returns. Boosting 91 would probably show a result. Boosting 93, slight.

Boosting more than 2 points would not.
I'm extremely doubtful that there is even a benefit going from 91 to 93 octane.

Originally Posted by Neofate
Another random though -- I've thought several times if it might be 'cheaper' to buy 87 gasoline and put a bottle of Octane booster in with it. Though I think normal Octane boosters only raise by 10, which is 1 point. So it would still be 88, maybe 89 at best.
It'd be more expensive to do this, and pointless considering the effort as well.
Old 04-02-08, 03:26 PM
haulin79
Driver

http://www.lcdinc.com/products_fuel_power.php
Here is the best fuel additive that I have found. It can be used continuously in every tank and actually more than pays for itself every tank because of its positive effect on the gasoiline's combustion efficiency. This efficiency increase improves both power/torque output as well as miles per gallon.

It is one of the most recommended additives on this forum: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

Their main customers are bigrig and bus fleet sales as 50 gallon drums, however, the owner is a car enthusiast so he makes it available in smaller gallon and smaller containers.
Old 04-02-08, 03:44 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sonyman
Higher octane = less efficient once the ECM is at full spark advance.

I'm extremely doubtful that there is even a benefit going from 91 to 93 octane.

It'd be more expensive to do this, and pointless considering the effort as well.
Extremely doubtful in your opinion. . There is alot of debate between them, and I would go so far to say as LS 400 Car A might get a little more out of 93 octane than LS 400 Car B. I've seen two of the same car react differently due to age. Compression goes up from lots and lots of buildup, detonation likely hood goes up and so on. Example, I've seen an extremely old car only run well on 93 octane, you put in 87 and would barely run.

Obviously the engine was fried, but it has its benefits. It certainly doesn't hurt anything, and to prevent detonation and pre-ignition even slight is doing alot of good. (The computer controls this and retards timing accordingly, but it isn't perfect).

Now is it more expensive? I don't know, do you? What would it cost to buy X booster in bulk? In larger containers? How much effort is there in pooring 16oz of something in a gas tank?

If you can get it cheaply for bulk (your gonna use it all) -- Then it could save you quite a bit over a years time.

Sure, saving 3-5$ at the pump isn't a huge deal, but it is getting to be more and more as the fuel prices will hit $4.00 commonly, and then creep over that.

The new medium will be $4.00 average soon enough, probably this summer. It is just rediculous.

But, I do agree as I have said .. 91 is recommended for the LS. You aren't doing any harm by not having 93 in there.
Old 04-02-08, 03:56 PM
haulin79
Driver

For those with lots of mileage and buildup, I would recommend Techron or Lube Controls FP-Plus to disolve the deposits to get your compression ratio back into spec.
Old 04-02-08, 08:34 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

iirc its pretty hard to change the octane of ~22gallons of gasoline by even 1 point when the content of the can of "booster" is only ~8-12oz....

at least nothing that isnt going to require some creative permits....
Old 04-02-08, 09:54 PM
JBrewster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't waste your money on that bull****. It will only raise your octane about 0.3

Quick Reply: Is octane booster beneficial for the 1UZFE?