LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Electric Fans -- (2) 94 LS 400

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-08, 12:07 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Electric Fans -- (2) 94 LS 400

I saw this mentioned in another thread, and have a question or two.

I have the main fan on the fan clutch that spins all the time..

Engine temp eventually warms up to about one notch under the middle, and holds steady.

Now,.. When I've popped the hood , many times,.. I've never , ever, seen those two black electric fans (by the horns) operate.

Do they come on a good bit? Does the AC have to be on for them to operate/kick in? (I never run AC) . Just curious -- It isn't effecting the heat of the engine, but I'd like them to run as intended of course. They could both be burnt out, but I wouldn't think so,.. Safe to run straight 12 volt jumper off the battery to them to test ?

Any sure fire way to put the car in such a scenario that they 'should' come on?

If they do not come on, .. and lets say I put 12volts to them and they operate (if that is safe) -- Where should I check to see why they aren't coming on as intended?

Thanks for any tips.
Old 03-31-08, 01:27 AM
kens97sto
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The two electric fans come on when the A/C is on. You can make it come on by hitting A/C button, or in Auto mode dropping the temp all the way down (unless it is colder in the car than the lowest setting.) The fans should be on when the A/C compressor is running.. you can look at it to see if the clutch is ingaged, the whole front should be turning not just the outer pulley section. You could hot wire them to test them, that would insure they work.. if the above tests fail... One thing though.. if younever run the A/C then it does not matter much anyway.

There is protection built into the A/C system, if the fans were not running (and you were not moving )then the pressure would build and it would shut off, running down the road the fans may not be needed anyway... enough air should get to the condensor to cool it.

Ken

Last edited by kens97sto; 03-31-08 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-31-08, 03:07 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks,
Old 03-31-08, 04:14 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And the big engine fan is supposed to be on all the time? Even at cold starts?
Old 03-31-08, 05:58 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I was running the stock fan and had problems running too hot, I noticed that the two front fans would come on occasionally, almost like it was assisting in cooling down the system.

Ever since swapping in two electric fans, I have not had them come on.
Old 03-31-08, 06:03 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The big engine fan actually is supposed to come on only when the temp sensor(s) tell it to. The one I know about is at the bottom right of the radiator (white plug) that is for the radiator coolant sensor (on my 95). Mine was unplugged and the fan ran all the time. I plugged it in and it stopped. Apparently there is another sensor. I have manuals but they are in the garage and I am too lazy to go downstairs in the garage to look it up
Old 03-31-08, 06:25 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steveski
The big engine fan actually is supposed to come on only when the temp sensor(s) tell it to. The one I know about is at the bottom right of the radiator (white plug) that is for the radiator coolant sensor (on my 95). Mine was unplugged and the fan ran all the time. I plugged it in and it stopped. Apparently there is another sensor. I have manuals but they are in the garage and I am too lazy to go downstairs in the garage to look it up
I see...... Thanks a lot Steveski,

But there is no wire leading to the big fan that will allow it to be turn on. It appears that there is a clutch system in it. But how would that make it turn on when radiator coolant gets hot? Is Clutch hooked to electric solenoid somehow?

My Fan is engine fan is ALWAYS on even in freezing cold starts.
Old 03-31-08, 08:12 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Bali,.. the main white, belt driven (clutched fan) is on all the time. Mine is the same way. Don't worry about that,.. it keeps the airflow positive in the engine and is fine.

Just be thankful it isn't an electric fan like I had in my 94 Mustang 5.0 -- Every few years the brushes would wear out and I'd have to replace it. (Of course the clutch can go out too.. but not as often).

My other two black framed fans that are electric never come on,.. but I never run AC. I'll test them here shortly.. But my temperature is rock solid.

It used to run slightly under the middle notch on the temp gauge in the instr. cluster.

I put 10oz of Water Wetter in,.. and it dropped a Notch. It runs right at the notch below the middle mark on the Temp Gauge. This is about perfect I would assume. Not too hot, not too cold.

Water Wetter really does some magic.
Old 03-31-08, 08:29 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Neofate
Water Wetter really does some magic.
Sure does. Wish the stuff was cheaper...
Old 03-31-08, 08:33 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

$9.99 a bottle. I find that half a bottle will do the trick, so I can use a bottle on two vehicles.

Considering coolant will last 2 years or so, safely. I think its a safe investment, or justified anyhow.

Anyhow, back on topic.

I went out, its about 55 degree's ambient temp.

Started the car (cold start).

Put AC on 68 degrees and Max.

Fans were not on.

Watched the temp gauge. After about 5-8 minutes the temp gauge finally moved to almost first notch, and I went and looked.. the fans were both on. So they do work. yay.

I switched off the AC and ran to the front of the car. Sure enough that triggered the fans off, and they spun down.

So no worries. They are very very quiet.