LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Dead starter rant, 99 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-08, 12:01 PM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead starter rant, 99 LS400

One cold day last week, go to start the LS...click-click-starts. Shut it off, try again click-click-click-starts. WTF. End up almost getting stranded but am able to get it to my mechanic. Call up carson toyota - $300 for the starter and gaskets, and it won't be here till Friday of this week.

So here is my rant...first off, I've never replaced a starter in a car and I've had higher mileage ones. But I do have over 120k on the car, so I can chalk it up to wear and tear....either way being with no car puts a damper on anyone's day, and I JUST sold my second car (93 acura legend) like 2 weeks ago.

But the real kicker is the starter location..under the intake manifold? So I'm looking at a minimum of 5 hours labor (independent shop) because the geniuses at toyota put a fallible crucial part to where you have to disable the top end of the engine to get at it. Thanks guys.

Is there a car with a *worse* starter spot? Maybe a jaguar or something?
Old 03-25-08, 12:13 PM
McSwine
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The starter on my 2000 failed...less than one week after I bought it. After some very tedious wrangling with the dealer I bought it from, I got it replaced for $500, or half of what they wanted to charge me. They probably would not have paid anything, but the service manager let it slip that they (the service dept) told the previous owner it needed to be replaced. The whole incident has sort of soured my Lexus ownership experience.

I've turned a wrench or two in my time, but this was a little more than I wanted to tackle. I wish I had a good independent shop to take it to.
Old 03-25-08, 12:33 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Worse starter location, sure there are some -- Though this one is pretty bad.

The Nissan Axxess, early 90's -- Had it at the bottom of engine area above right axle shaft. You HAD to remove the axle shaft to get the start out. I mean come on.

The starter in my 240sx wasn't in a great spot,.. but I managed to replace it with some serious patience SQUEEZING it out at different angles. The starter on my Nissan 300zx was in a terrible spot,.. about like the Lexus.. Rear corner of engine,..about midway. You had to take half the engine apart to get to it.

Thats the only thing,.. you can't design every part to be easily accessible -- Some things just are hard to get to. I would think cars would become 'easier' to work on as time progressed not harder as they have been. Sort of like how computers have changed over the past 20 years. More snap in/gates, and so on. Oh well,.. it keeps mechanics in business and in demand.
Old 03-25-08, 05:04 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah there is and it is the Gm product Cadillacs with northstar v8's in them. I did one of those before what a pain in the ****. Took me about 5 hours the first time and it was under the intake manifold similar too the 1uzfe motors.
Old 03-25-08, 07:58 PM
tcbted
Driver

Yeah, but on the Cadillac forums, they feel that the isolated location of the starter helps the lifespan, as its up off the road, away from debris, salt, slush, etc.
I guess the same could be said for the location of the LS400's starter.
Old 03-25-08, 11:04 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Originally Posted by tcbted
Yeah, but on the Cadillac forums, they feel that the isolated location of the starter helps the lifespan, as its up off the road, away from debris, salt, slush, etc.
I guess the same could be said for the location of the LS400's starter.

Yea, but they also think 120K is a good life for a starter in their northstar. While we look at 120k for a starter and go "what went wrong with this thing so soon???"
Old 03-26-08, 01:01 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default A tale of a broken starter.......

see my new thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho....php?p=3391541
Old 03-26-08, 07:13 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got mine changed at the Lexus dealer in 2000 and they charge 1/2 which came to $500. Bummer - sorry to hear that.
Old 03-26-08, 08:04 AM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

Good write up Grand_LS, unfortunately i'm just not that mechanically inclined.
I definitely see the value in work a mechanic has to put into it, just hate paying
Steveski, was that $500 with labor and parts? If so that is a really good deal.
I'm figuring about $700 for me once I'm done, which stings pretty bad considering I still need ball joints and bushings to fix some ride problems.
I rarely complain about the lexus but this has definitely taken my satisfaction down a notch.
Old 03-26-08, 08:32 AM
turbosix
Pole Position

you can do this on a nice saturday afternoon.

you do not need the gaskets btw
Old 03-26-08, 10:12 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy crap - and I thought the location of the starter on my sisters New Beetle was bad (came out through the top)

I just turned 143k miles on my '99 - I sure hope it doesn't fail on me. That starter looks pretty small too - almost like the one on my motorcycle!

The only thing I can hope for is that it's already been replaced since I got the car with 110k miles and I'm the 3rd owner.
Old 04-01-08, 05:17 PM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

UPDATE: Finally got the starter from carson toyota...ordered thursday before last, so almost 2 flippin weeks to get a part.
Another weird thing, is it says its a reman even though I ordered new (??) but I called Luis in parts and he assured me all LS400 starters are reman at this point, but have 100% new parts inside (ie, not a refurb). With any luck I'll be back on the road this week, it's the longest I've gone with no car since I was a teenager. I was seriously about to go buy a $1000 junker car if they didn't get this to me soon.
Old 04-01-08, 05:58 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

im waitin for mine to die soon :x. mine was first replaced at 130k miles. so the next one due around 200k - 260k ahhhhh. i heard its a big problemooo for the LS400. They pretty much break either or lol. o welps still more dependable than other cars right.
Old 04-10-08, 02:37 PM
Blavatsky
Pole Position

Week 3 has come and gone and I have no car...part has been with the mechanic a week now, I'm about to lose it. i guess I lost my place in line behind a bunch of other cars. Appreciate your LS, if you don't have it for awhile it is quite depressing.
Old 04-10-08, 05:05 PM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My 97 LS400's starter died at 89K miles, which I find inexcuseable on a car that cost $55K brand new. While I'm handy and have all the tools, air compressor, etc, I didn't feel like tackling the job at home. I outsourced the R&R to an independent Lexus shop here in the Bay Area. I believe I paid around $900 out the door for the repair. No problems since.

The other LS problem area is the power steering pump. Mine began leaking at ~125K miles. But since I do my own oil changes, I noticed the seepage and got it fixed BEFORE it ruined the alternator. That was also $900 job.

The starter and pwr steering are the only two 'repairs' I've had done in the past 7.5 years and almost 100K miles of driving.

Last edited by seanl; 04-11-08 at 07:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Dead starter rant, 99 LS400