LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

All in One - Power steering fix(s). Solenoid/ACV plug/Drain-Flush/Bleed system. -DIY

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-10, 03:43 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 91LS400LEX
Excellent thread. Its actually whant I went by (well my dad too) to block the idle-up valve and to clean the solenoid (which was dirty, but still dont work (click), but another one is on its way thanks to a member on another site.

Never did figure out the above statement though about removing both front wheels. We just put mine up on ramps and it was simple to get access to the idle-up valve, as well as the solenoid.

Next on my list, especially if the new solenoid does not correct my heavy steering issue is to clean the screen in the reservoir if I can figure it out.
Sorry guys about the 2 missing pictures, I unfortunately do not have them.. they have been deleted on the webserver indadvertently due to space issues in the past. So I hope the guide still proves some use without them.. I see it has helped a few people and even just helping one makes the write up more than worth it.
The following users liked this post:
spuds (08-30-20)
Old 09-22-10, 04:57 PM
LILEVO
Advanced

Received 220 Likes on 107 Posts

My power steering doesn't work at idle. The wheel is super hard to turn. At RPM > 800 then it works fine, one finger action.

Could the valve on the pump cause this problem or something else?
Old 10-03-10, 06:49 PM
willhickey
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

by any chance (i know this is a dumb question) does anybody know what the black box next to the solenoid is called? did i damage it by opening it up? it connects to the steering shaft...........thanks thanks
Old 10-17-10, 03:11 PM
agood1
Rookie

So is the solenoid the part that firms the steering effort when at speed? My 93 is always loose, very easy to turn even at highway speeds.
Old 10-27-10, 11:11 AM
91LS400vgb
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How I loosened solenoid valve

I'd like to first thank everyone who has contributed to this thread, esp. Neofate. I thought I'd share this in case it might help someone. I was able to loosen the solenoid valve on my own LS several years ago using the screwdriver and hammer method. Yesterday, I was working on a relative's 91 LS and no matter how much I hammered away, it would not budge. Both of my vise grips are too big to grab around the solenoid, however I have a slim water pump pliers that fit well. The problem was that it would invariably slip whenever I tried to loosen it (which is why I was trying the hammer method). So what I did was use a vise grip to hold the handles of the water pump pliers together. I then was able to concentrate all my strength on loosening the solenoid. It worked great.

By the way, it was amazing how much crud was on the screen. I cleaned it all out, and the steering felt great while I had the front end up in the air. However, once I lowered it, I felt the same stiffness that it had before. I am going to check the resistance of the solenoid and do the click test next. The repair manual says that the resistance should be 6-11 ohms.
Attached Thumbnails All in One - Power steering fix(s). Solenoid/ACV plug/Drain-Flush/Bleed system. -DIY-img_1018.jpg  

Last edited by 91LS400vgb; 10-27-10 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-29-11, 02:15 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!!! I just had this same issue with the ACV valve on my SC w/1jz, and was burning a lot of ps fluid. I thought it was a leak at first, but never noticed any dripping fluid. I plugged up the valve with JB weld (didn't remove the plastic part, just filled the bolt and plastic outlets with the stuff) and no more white smoke!!!

I'm just waiting on word about a replacement, but the JB weld should tide me over for now.
Originally Posted by Neofate

Removal of ACV valve, and Plugging such valve with the ACV itself.

snip
Old 07-04-11, 04:28 PM
KMinAF
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Used air valve

The air valve from almost any toyota will fit. The one used in the early model trucks is all metal and at the local Pic a Part cost me $1.00.
The following users liked this post:
Dinocards (02-22-20)
Old 02-09-12, 10:45 PM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Power steering pump has been leaking massively lately, found a remanufactured one at the junkyard that looked leak free, swapped it in before and during halftime of the superbowl no more leaks but it was smoking terribly, worse than before, total smoke screen. Fingered that the ACV was in worse shape on this pump than the one that came with the car.

Didn't want to putz around looking for a bolt that fit or remove the pump again just to do it, so today, I just did this;

(shown as tested on old pump, didn't take pics of actual install on car)

plugged the vacuum nipples with a short length of hose and a stove bolt tefloned/shoved and zip tied in. Took it for a spin, much better, still some fluid in the engine as it smoked a little but should subside over the next couple of days.
Attached Thumbnails All in One - Power steering fix(s). Solenoid/ACV plug/Drain-Flush/Bleed system. -DIY-img_0208.jpg  
Old 02-09-12, 11:04 PM
moat
Driver

Makes sense to me.

Lexus wants a lot of money for the return hose. Could I just buy any hose from an auto shop instead? What size and any particular kind of hose (that's good with Toyota T4 ATF)?
Old 02-10-12, 12:31 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

no, the rack lines are high pressure lines.

you can take your old lines to any hydraulic hose shop and have them rebuilt for cheap though.
Old 02-10-12, 09:35 AM
moat
Driver

PD, I was not asking about the hi pressure tube (oem $400). I was asking about the return hose (oem $130) that goes to PS reservoir.
Old 02-10-12, 09:44 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From the resevoir to the hard line between the wheel well and headlight (under the intake?)
I believe it's a 3/8 interior diameter rubber hose you can buy by the foot at any autoparts house. <$3 a foot.

Last edited by DonCorleone; 02-10-12 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-10-12, 07:22 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

that FEED hose is from the pump to the reservoir is only ~$30-35 OEM and can be substituted by any standard rubber tubing that fits.

the RETURN tube goes from the rack to the reservoir, and comes in 3 sections that totals out at ~$250-320 OEM.
Old 02-13-12, 07:50 AM
ChrisG1000
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the post and to all who have replied. I've been having PS issues lately- mostly noise and hard to turn at low speeds. I will give this a shot.
Thanks again!
Old 06-12-12, 08:10 AM
mmartin888
Driver School Candidate

great write up, can you just plug the two hoses at the top for a quick check. I am having some white smoke and I have noticed power steering fluid in the hose on the center of the engine. And if I do will I still have power steering and not mess up something. My power steering is screaming and buckling along with brownish fluid. I am not able as of now to get it in the air. Its a 92 sc400, thanks Mike

Quick Reply: All in One - Power steering fix(s). Solenoid/ACV plug/Drain-Flush/Bleed system. -DIY