LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Seafoam makes engine smoke when poured in gas tank?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-08, 02:53 PM
haulin79
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam makes engine smoke when poured in gas tank?

Will Seafoam cause the engine to smoke if it is poured in gas tank?

Thanks!
Old 03-14-08, 03:22 PM
drewkaree
Rookie

Not in the least. I've poured 2 cans into 2 separate cars in the past week via the gas tank. Nothing even close to resembling what you're worried about.

I'm willing to go so far as to say if what you're wondering about DOES happen, the problem is with your car, and not Seafoam. Seek out the initial problem and fix that.
Old 03-14-08, 03:40 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't be so fast on that drewkaree. Seafoam can indeed cause some 'minor' smoke from the gas tank. It is flowing through your engine/combustion cycle and exhaust. Not every car will smoke from it, alot of variables... but yes, absolutely, it *CAN* cause some smoke.

It will not, however, cause the massive smoke you get from putting it through your vacuum line.

I can personally attest to smoke from Seafoam in the gas tank, especially as your fuel levels get lower and the seafoam becomes more concentrated.

It will stop (if it happens at all) after you go through a tank of gas and fill up again. (At the very longest).

If your engine continues to smoke well after the above, it isn't the seafoam as drewkaree is indicating, you would then need to judge by color of smoke, intensity (on startup.. all the time?) -- and smell.

Check fluids, and then monitor/mark their levels and continue to check. You will find your culprit soon enough.

Check, oil level, coolant level, PS level. One of those 3 will be the only fluids causing constant smoke beyond what sea-foam could do. And one of them WILL go down at some rate.

If it is just a minor , minor smoke that isn't dark in color, and is only at startup and goes away -- It is usually normal, no fluid leak. Our exhaust (in good condition) -- Cats.. create H20 , which will sit in the pipes, and when heated steam out. Same principle as the engine running on a cold'ish day.

Haulin, now I know you are probably confused with two different answers -- But I'm sure others will chime in and agree with what I've said. If you have not experienced smoke from sea-foam just say that, but don't indicate that because you didn't see it, or it didn't happen in your vehicle that it isn't possible

Btw.. smoking or not, sea-foam in the gas isn't going to hurt anything, so if you are worried about safety, don't be.

Just don't pour 3 cans in there , or anything crazy like that.
Old 03-15-08, 03:24 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My car has slight white smoke when sea foam is in the tank , most noticeable at start up until that tank is dry..
Old 03-17-08, 12:03 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While it could cause the engine to smoke some, I have never experienced it in my 95 and I have used dozens of cans in the tank. One thing is for sure it works well to clean the engine.
Old 12-11-22, 06:12 PM
Mahran90
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Neofate
Don't be so fast on that drewkaree. Seafoam can indeed cause some 'minor' smoke from the gas tank. It is flowing through your engine/combustion cycle and exhaust. Not every car will smoke from it, alot of variables... but yes, absolutely, it *CAN* cause some smoke.

It will not, however, cause the massive smoke you get from putting it through your vacuum line.

I can personally attest to smoke from Seafoam in the gas tank, especially as your fuel levels get lower and the seafoam becomes more concentrated.

It will stop (if it happens at all) after you go through a tank of gas and fill up again. (At the very longest).

If your engine continues to smoke well after the above, it isn't the seafoam as drewkaree is indicating, you would then need to judge by color of smoke, intensity (on startup.. all the time?) -- and smell.

Check fluids, and then monitor/mark their levels and continue to check. You will find your culprit soon enough.

Check, oil level, coolant level, PS level. One of those 3 will be the only fluids causing constant smoke beyond what sea-foam could do. And one of them WILL go down at some rate.

If it is just a minor , minor smoke that isn't dark in color, and is only at startup and goes away -- It is usually normal, no fluid leak. Our exhaust (in good condition) -- Cats.. create H20 , which will sit in the pipes, and when heated steam out. Same principle as the engine running on a cold'ish day.

Haulin, now I know you are probably confused with two different answers -- But I'm sure others will chime in and agree with what I've said. If you have not experienced smoke from sea-foam just say that, but don't indicate that because you didn't see it, or it didn't happen in your vehicle that it isn't possible

Btw.. smoking or not, sea-foam in the gas isn't going to hurt anything, so if you are worried about safety, don't be.

Just don't pour 3 cans in there , or anything crazy like that.
I added Sea Foam 3 times but this time after adding it this time I start getting white smoke when I start the car mostly after having it parked for a while. I'm worried regarding that issue can anybody help.

My gas tank reached the half and I refilled the tank to try fix this issue but still the smoke still coming only at start up but after driving every thing seems fine.

Please advice?
Old 12-11-22, 08:24 PM
paulo57509
Instructor

Received 203 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahran90
I added Sea Foam 3 times but this time after adding it this time I start getting white smoke when I start the car mostly after having it parked for a while. I'm worried regarding that issue can anybody help.

My gas tank reached the half and I refilled the tank to try fix this issue but still the smoke still coming only at start up but after driving every thing seems fine.

Please advice?
Why did you add this to your fuel? Are you trying to fix some issue?

White smoke indicates moisture. It's most likely condensation that forms in the exhaust system after the engine is shut down and allowed to completely cool, such as overnight, depending on the ambient temperature and humidity.

If the white smoke goes away when driving, I wouldn't be concerned. Unless the smoke smells like coolant?

Don't overdose with in-tank additives. Techron is a much better additive.
Old 12-19-22, 01:07 AM
Mahran90
9th Gear

Can you tell me what happened actually I think I did a mistake Ive added STP high mileage fuel injector cleaner and next day I added SEAFOAM high mileage fuel injector cleaner.
So next day when I started the car a big amount of smoke is coming from my exhaust and now mostly after driving a long journey at highway and then driving in the city I see a cloud of smoke coming from my exhaust.

I tried topping up the fuel when it reached half tank of gas in order to less the concentration but smoke is still coming after a long drive please advice?

My car is LS430 2005

I used SEAFOAM HIGH MILAGE alone 3 times without mixing it with STP the smoke never happened before