LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Going for a 'sporty' look on the LS 400 --

Old 03-09-08, 02:47 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Going for a 'sporty' look on the LS 400 --

Something I am slowly trying to achieve on my 94 LS. Which all 'mods' so to speak I have done thus far are installed a new headunit, with USB and Ipod integration in the console along with tint all around (tint really gives them some 'youth' so to speak).

I have visited the 'VIP' forums so I know what that means and that seems the dominate way people go with the LS's .. But is there any forum or group.. or parts site etc that concentrates on the 'sport' side of an LS 400?

Things like, oh --

Going with 5 star rims.. not quite as large as most VIP's.. slight lowering but not scraping the ground. -- Valence /body effect kits, sport spoilers and so forth?

I searched but didn't come up with anything substantial for the LS ..

I know this isn't popular so to speak,.. but I've seen some variations or parts of decked out VIP cars that if you pick and chose could really turn the LS into something like a LSS 400 -- Luxury Sports Sedan

I'm thinking maybe some 17-18" 5 Star Wheels, with slightly lower profile tires. Maybe a 'slight' lowering of the vehicle (maybe not necessary).. with a more agressive stance from front lips, side skirts, sport wing (nothing 10 feet high, but classy and sporty) -- Maintaining all that is good about the "luxury" of the car, but giving it a more youthful, agressive, sporty type of look that is 'well done' and doesn't make the vehicle look cheap, or like I'm a 16yr old kid , but not a 70yr old man/woman either

Any links, ideas, pictures etc.. would be fantastic. I'm on a limited budget so would have to go slow with it, but I think alot of my 'likes' and preferences are cheaper than going VIP. As instead of 19-22" rims, I'm more in line with 17-18,.. still nothing is dirt cheap, but I think it plausible to get some rims of that size for under a grand, maybe better used hrmm..

The body kit stuff just runs a good deal of money because of the paint work that must be done after installation I would imagine.

Anyhow, you get the idea --

Thanks,
Old 03-09-08, 04:38 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

first off, NO FU&$ING WING.

simple, you dont need it for a "sports" car anyway, the most you would go with is a simple M5-esque lip spoiler.

and the reason people dont go after a "sport" look is because the LS (1LS especially) is a BIG, HEAVY, and LAZY beast, its SLOW, its AUTOMATIC, and it doesnt like corners (in stock form at least)

the wheels/slight lowering i can agree with but a GT style "wing" is just going to look dumb, and would be nothing but rice. if you wanna go that direction then look into some GOOD 18/19" wheels (forged preferably, look into the MRRs tho if ur low on cash), nice wide tires, lip spoiler, front lip (OEM jdm/UK spec), and some coilovers (megan or JIC or etc...), intake, and exhaust to get you started.
Old 03-09-08, 07:24 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
first off, NO FU&$ING WING.

simple, you dont need it for a "sports" car anyway, the most you would go with is a simple M5-esque lip spoiler.

and the reason people dont go after a "sport" look is because the LS (1LS especially) is a BIG, HEAVY, and LAZY beast, its SLOW, its AUTOMATIC, and it doesnt like corners (in stock form at least)

the wheels/slight lowering i can agree with but a GT style "wing" is just going to look dumb, and would be nothing but rice. if you wanna go that direction then look into some GOOD 18/19" wheels (forged preferably, look into the MRRs tho if ur low on cash), nice wide tires, lip spoiler, front lip (OEM jdm/UK spec), and some coilovers (megan or JIC or etc...), intake, and exhaust to get you started.

Heeeey.... Anything that can keep on the ***-end of a 99 cobra 5-speed is not slow!! for some reason those new Mustangs have to be over rated, because I seem to always outrun them if im in the highway. From a light they get the "jump"...but that is all.

Drifter...your car isnt bad at cornering as low as you sit, is it?
Old 03-09-08, 07:41 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Heeeey.... Anything that can keep on the ***-end of a 99 cobra 5-speed is not slow!! for some reason those new Mustangs have to be over rated, because I seem to always outrun them if im in the highway. From a light they get the "jump"...but that is all.

Drifter...your car isnt bad at cornering as low as you sit, is it?
OUR cars can, the 1st gens cant

and no, i can corner relatively well given the weight over the front wheels x.x
Old 03-09-08, 09:26 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

dude, 0-60 in hi 7's is not slow. And when the cars suspension is in good shape, it corners great. Especially with michelin pilot sport tires.

If i were gonna sport up my lex, i'd get some oem 17-18's, put some stiffer springs, get some sweet michelin pilots. Kuhmo ectsa (sp?) if you wanna save dough. thats about it.

Please keep the body stock. if you fabbed up some bumper fogs like the UK cars, that'd look pretty sporting.
Old 03-09-08, 10:30 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by omarg
dude, 0-60 in hi 7's is not slow. And when the cars suspension is in good shape, it corners great. Especially with michelin pilot sport tires.

If i were gonna sport up my lex, i'd get some oem 17-18's, put some stiffer springs, get some sweet michelin pilots. Kuhmo ectsa (sp?) if you wanna save dough. thats about it.

Please keep the body stock. if you fabbed up some bumper fogs like the UK cars, that'd look pretty sporting.
not slow slow but not "sports car" either....

regardless, the wing comment still stands.
Old 03-09-08, 10:37 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish my car could do 0-60 in 7 seconds
Old 03-09-08, 10:53 PM
shonn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey you should buy my wheels if you wanna go for a more sporty look. lol
Old 03-10-08, 09:24 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Suneet
How about 6 =)
Old 03-10-08, 09:55 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Suneet
Well, time for that supercharger upgrade.
Old 03-10-08, 10:29 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

PD -- I get your sentiments on the 'wing' -- Which is why I think I tried to preface it with no.. I'm not putting some 10 foot ricer wing on their.. This isn't an F40, its a Luxury Sedan. I realize that.

I'm not trying to turn this thing into a sports car.. not turning it into what is isn't and never will be.

I've seen very low spoilers (WITH BODY KITS) that look very nice. Slap a spoiler on there without doing the necessary kit , yes it is going to look silly on a stock LS 400.

So the 'wing' would go on last,.. and yes It would either be a slight rear m5'esque shape. Just enough to give it a little flare, not to keep the downforce on the rear wheels at 232 Mph

Again back to the sports car comment and 'how fast' the LS 400's are, regardless of Gen 1 or 2. I'm not trying to add 100hp , with nitrous, rip out the Auto and throw in a Tremec. Its 95% a look, and 5% functionality. Maybe when all said and done the lowering and exhaust would give it a little better handling/power -- But nothing to write home about.

Also, keep in mind I'm on the conservative side of these 'mods' -- I have in mind to keep it 'classy', and not turned into, again, something it never was.

I only started this thread for ideas, not to tell me my LS 400 isn't a Mclauren F1

Thanks,
Old 03-10-08, 10:48 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

theres a difference between a "wing" and a "spoiler".

wing has 1+ pedestal that the flat surface rests on, the spoiler sits flush/full contact.

and i think a spoiler, depending on overall height, and be run without a full kit.
Old 03-10-08, 10:57 AM
jdmsole06
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NEOFATE- is this the look you're trying to establish?

The car is on 18 inch wheels and have full aero with a molded wing. Suspension is still stock but will be replacing it with a strut/spring combo.
Old 03-10-08, 11:10 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
theres a difference between a "wing" and a "spoiler".

wing has 1+ pedestal that the flat surface rests on, the spoiler sits flush/full contact.

and i think a spoiler, depending on overall height, and be run without a full kit.
Drift, I understand the difference in a wing and spoiler -- But they are more often than not used interchangably. I think you understand what I mean -- Spoiler height, and at most maybe an inch off the deck.. (Which would throw it in the 'wing' classification) -- I would just have to take a look at many different variations of said spoiler or wing (s) on the LS platform and see what looked best to me.

I also agree,.. a spoiler that is simply molded with no gap can be comfortably and tastefully added on an otherwise stock platform.
Old 03-10-08, 11:17 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jdmsole06
NEOFATE- is this the look you're trying to establish?

The car is on 18 inch wheels and have full aero with a molded wing. Suspension is still stock but will be replacing it with a strut/spring combo.
It is very close to the look I am speaking of. That looks good to me. The only thing that I wouldn't go with off of that is the wheels. They look good, don't get me wrong, but if I am going to hand select a set, I wouldn't go with that particular design. Something 5 star , yes, the size looks fine, and quite frankly 17's would probably fit my style needs just fine.

For some reason, kit? Wheel design.. those actually look larger than 18" to me -- The width on the star pattern is a touch too wide for my likes.

Though again, yes, absolutely that looks great. I would make a wheel change, and either keep the spoiler or change it out with something a touch more agressive, but not much. Maybe .5inch to 1inch of gap .

Make sense?

If anyone else has any other pictures of this 'sport' look please post them up.

What is the cheapest one could go with a 17" wheel , 5 star pattern, that fits my style preference? Not trying to be cheap and put cheap looking rims on the car,.. but simply curious. Size dictates price to some degree,.. as does style, and brand. (among other factors) -- I'm curious if one can acquire some 17" 5 stars for 500-600$, or is that just not going to happen?

Thanks for the picture -- I've seen it in another thread, and do like it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Going for a 'sporty' look on the LS 400 --