LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Post up Recent pixs of YOUR car (LS400s)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-13, 05:42 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PD, Isn't his a first gen? Or are you saying maybe he bought coils for a 2nd gen? If he did, then it wouldn't go as low, right?
Old 09-16-13, 06:43 PM
jcp2k
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xtremex626
droop the rear springs some more.. that's the only you'll go lower with the rears. or you can call megan and ask them for another pair of front coilovers (i believe someone here did that), but not sure if they'll grant that since you already drooped the rear springs. i had mine drooping more than 2 inches in order to tuck all tire, was barely tucking rim.
That's what I'm realizing but I might just keep it like this untill next summer. I'm thinking about getting BC extreme drops but ehh I might just mod these I do have friends in high places :-)

I wonder if the same diameter is used for all the shock bodies. If that is the case technically I could use front shock bodies in the rear... And the fronts have better valving too.

Originally Posted by usoff89
On my EZ's I'm maxed out, but I could still go more. I'm not drooping the spring more than maybe an inch or so right now.

Could something be mixed up on your coils (like the bottom brackets reversed from front to back)? Not sure if that would be possible or if they are different sizes or not. Just a thought.

I would think it would go lower. What size are your wheels, 19's?

Nothing is mixed up or backwards or anything. I thought it would go lower with out sagging the springs. There is so much more threads on the shock body still its weird but owell.

And Yea I'm on 19's I know if I went down to 18's it'll look a lot lower but I'm not wanting to buy another set of wheels at the moment trying to get a ls430 :-)

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
any time a 2nd gen is set up on coils made for a 1st gen, it goes lower

My cars a first gen not second. I guess I'm also confused?? Are you just saying 2nd gen can get lower then 1st? But all coils claim they're for 95-00 but they fit all generations right? From what I know Megan claims the first gen gets a half inch lower then the other 2.

Originally Posted by usoff89
PD, Isn't his a first gen? Or are you saying maybe he bought coils for a 2nd gen? If he did, then it wouldn't go as low, right?

Correct I have a first gen
Old 09-17-13, 07:30 AM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jcp2k
That's what I'm realizing but I might just keep it like this untill next summer. I'm thinking about getting BC extreme drops but ehh I might just mod these I do have friends in high places :-)

I wonder if the same diameter is used for all the shock bodies. If that is the case technically I could use front shock bodies in the rear... And the fronts have better valving too.

Nothing is mixed up or backwards or anything. I thought it would go lower with out sagging the springs. There is so much more threads on the shock body still its weird but owell.

And Yea I'm on 19's I know if I went down to 18's it'll look a lot lower but I'm not wanting to buy another set of wheels at the moment trying to get a ls430 :-)

My cars a first gen not second. I guess I'm also confused?? Are you just saying 2nd gen can get lower then 1st? But all coils claim they're for 95-00 but they fit all generations right? From what I know Megan claims the first gen gets a half inch lower then the other 2.

nah. the front shock body is shorter than the the rears, which is why the fronts are able to go lower than the rears. the rear shock body was made too long, which is why it maxes out really quick with a bunch of coil thread left. and yes, you can run the fronts on the rears if you wanted to.

i hope you're picking up an 04-06
Old 09-17-13, 10:23 AM
Kaiyin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UCF10 shock bodies are shorter than UCF20 shock bodies. I'm drooping on both setups. Plenty low. I'm going to be switching my LPs on my UCF20 for some K-Break coilovers so I can have 30kg spring rates. Otherwise, I've had nothing but good experiences with my Megans.
Old 09-17-13, 11:40 AM
sleepywgn
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

K Break coils?! My hero right here! ^
Old 09-17-13, 12:07 PM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Get some 326 power short coils and get 40/60kg spring rates
Old 09-17-13, 01:05 PM
Kaiyin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dranom
Get some 326 power short coils and get 40/60kg spring rates
I've been looking at 326-Power too, but I like K-Break parts, lol. I want a set of K-Break Fivesta wheels.
Old 09-17-13, 01:08 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you have it backwards. The megan coils (and all other coils that claim to fit all LS400s '89-00) were prototyped on a 1st gen '89-94 car. '95-00 cars had a longer stroke from the factory so you can run '89-94 coils on them just fine but they end up lowering the car more than they would a 1st gen.

This is also the reason 2nd gen coils and shocks (like TeinCS or the Bilsteins) won't work properly on a 1LS. The lack of stroke would cause the coils to prematurely fail. Don't know why megan hasn't changed the labeling, their coils were made/proto'd on a 1LS for use on 1+2LS.
Old 09-17-13, 01:33 PM
Sc0pe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
you have it backwards. The megan coils (and all other coils that claim to fit all LS400s '89-00) were prototyped on a 1st gen '89-94 car. '95-00 cars had a longer stroke from the factory so you can run '89-94 coils on them just fine but they end up lowering the car more than they would a 1st gen.

This is also the reason 2nd gen coils and shocks (like TeinCS or the Bilsteins) won't work properly on a 1LS. The lack of stroke would cause the coils to prematurely fail. Don't know why megan hasn't changed the labeling, their coils were made/proto'd on a 1LS for use on 1+2LS.
How would this work out if one was running a bag-over-coil setup?
Old 09-17-13, 03:17 PM
jcp2k
Rookie

Originally Posted by xtremex626
nah. the front shock body is shorter than the the rears, which is why the fronts are able to go lower than the rears. the rear shock body was made too long, which is why it maxes out really quick with a bunch of coil thread left. and yes, you can run the fronts on the rears if you wanted to.

i hope you're picking up an 04-06

Yea I'll be picking up a 05-06 but just waiting for a UL to cross my path.

I just might have to use front shock bodies for the rear so I get more low!
Old 09-17-13, 05:17 PM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Old 09-17-13, 05:18 PM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Old 09-17-13, 05:44 PM
Jeremiah87
Pit Crew

*Taken today near my local tint shop...whoring this photo out.
Old 09-17-13, 08:29 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc0pe
How would this work out if one was running a bag-over-coil setup?
same rules, 20s can use 10/20 shock bodies, 10s have to use 10 shock bodies.

Yea I'll be picking up a 05-06 but just waiting for a UL to cross my path.

I just might have to use front shock bodies for the rear so I get more low!
the damping will be all sorts of screwed up.

Originally Posted by Schnitz
Sexy.
Old 09-17-13, 09:03 PM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Schnitz
damn!

Quick Reply: Post up Recent pixs of YOUR car (LS400s)