LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1992, Goodridge SS Lines fitment

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-08, 07:30 PM
doyo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992, Goodridge SS Lines fitment

I ordered the SS brake lines online nearly a month back, and it was stated on the page to be model 21011, specifically for the 1990 to 1992 LS400's. When it got to me, they actually sent me the 21012. I searched around, and a few places said the 21012 fits all models from 1990-1994, yet, when I brought it to a mechanic today, they told me the rears were completely different, and couldn't be used.

Does anybody know about this? Is it actually possible to use the 21012 on my 1992(January), or am I boned outta the shipping costs? Even the official application guide on Goodridge's site states it'd fit all models. I was supposed to get all of the brakes done today(rotors, pads, lines, fluid), but this kinda screwed it up.

Any insight or confirmation would be much appreciated, and I'll write up my own review about it, whenever I get them done.
Old 02-29-08, 07:51 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

according to lexls the lines are different for the 93-94. it sounds like the place u bought it from is at fault.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/brake/SSbrakelines.html
Old 02-29-08, 10:12 PM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, they should ship you the right part, and take the fouled up item back, at no cost to you.
Old 02-29-08, 10:32 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup, I've been down this road and it sucks.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...84#post2355984

Also, there is considerable length differences between the two kits due to the spring travel being different (this is according to what Goodridge said) on the fronts as well.

For the rear, 90-92 have the screw in type on the calipers, I think the 93-94 moved to a banjo type connector on the calipers in the rears.
Old 03-01-08, 04:42 PM
doyo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woah, nice set of replies.

And ick, looks like I did lose out a lot on shipping then. Thanks for the confirmation, guys. I'll see if I can get a refund, if not, does anyone here want the lines for cheap?

I did get my rotors and pads done that day, though. Got some cheapish drilled rotors, along with PBR Ultimate Ceramic pads all around. I guess I'll be one of the guinea pigs for the drilled rotors, since they're known to crack. The company has a warranty period, so it shouldn't be a problem any time soon. Even if it starts cracking after a year, it probably means I need the rotors changed, anyway, since I go joyriding on hilly highways a lot.

I don't think the rotors did anything to help braking power, but they do look pretty damn good. I'm positive the better braking is due to the ceramics. The pedal still feels mushy, but the difference in power is VERY noticeable, especially in light braking. It's still not all too strong though, in comparison to other cars' stopping distances, but a heck lot safer than stock. There's also no brake-fade that I've encountered yet, in heavy stop-and-go traffic on hills. The stocks dramatically lost power, for me, after about 10 minutes of driving, though it might be because they were so worn.
Old 03-01-08, 04:56 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by doyo
Woah, nice set of replies.

And ick, looks like I did lose out a lot on shipping then. Thanks for the confirmation, guys. I'll see if I can get a refund, if not, does anyone here want the lines for cheap?

I did get my rotors and pads done that day, though. Got some cheapish drilled rotors, along with PBR Ultimate Ceramic pads all around. I guess I'll be one of the guinea pigs for the drilled rotors, since they're known to crack. The company has a warranty period, so it shouldn't be a problem any time soon. Even if it starts cracking after a year, it probably means I need the rotors changed, anyway, since I go joyriding on hilly highways a lot.

I don't think the rotors did anything to help braking power, but they do look pretty damn good. I'm positive the better braking is due to the ceramics. The pedal still feels mushy, but the difference in power is VERY noticeable, especially in light braking. It's still not all too strong though, in comparison to other cars' stopping distances, but a heck lot safer than stock. There's also no brake-fade that I've encountered yet, in heavy stop-and-go traffic on hills. The stocks dramatically lost power, for me, after about 10 minutes of driving, though it might be because they were so worn.
If it feels mushy, it might be that the brake booster is bad or the system wasn't bled for air correctly.
Old 03-01-08, 06:04 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doyo
does anyone here want the lines for cheap?
ill take those 93 lines throw me a pm when youve sorted the situation out.