LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

subwoofer replacement help

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-08, 09:38 AM
sunfisher
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default subwoofer replacement help

Where do I find the tutorial on how to find out how to do it. What size are the back rear speakers. Should I replace those as well since Im in there? Thx everyone
Old 02-27-08, 09:51 AM
jdmsole06
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

year of the car would help
Old 02-27-08, 12:37 PM
Sixdown
Driver

The subwoofer is the only thing on the rear deck. The rear speakers are mounted on the doors in my car.

Lexls has a great writeup on replacing the sub, but I am unsure if it applies to your car, as I have no year to go by:
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/audio/subwoofer.html
Old 02-27-08, 06:21 PM
sunfisher
Driver School Candidate

the year of the car is a 90
Old 02-27-08, 11:59 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure this will get moved to the audio/video section -- But I'm assuming a 1990 LS 400.

Same setup as I have in my 94.

Though, give a little more detail for future questions:

1) Is it Pioneer or Nakamitchi?

2) Have Factory cd-changer?

What are you trying to accomplish?

IE: Are you wanting to replace the factory sub with an OEM type sub because the factory is bad.. Or are you wanting a much better sounding sub? (New amp, bigger sub.. and so forth?)

The door speakers should be all 4inch.

The subwoofer is an 8inch.

The subwoofer is considered an IB or Free-air. (IB= Infinite Baffle). What is this? Simply put it is a subwoofer that does not require an encloser (box) to emit its designed bass (sound).

They used this design due to location/placement of the subwoofer. It is in the rear deck. (Just in front of your third brake light, behind the back seat). You will see a cover over it.

If you open your trunk , go directly back and to the middle.. You will see the bottom of the 8inch sub open to view.

This sub is amped. If a pioneer system, it has a Pioneer amplifier to the left of the sub in the trunk, behind the carpet on the wall. This amp is ( I believe , 40Watts RMS).

If it is the Nakamitchi system, I still do not have the specifications in my head for that.

Hope some of that helps,.. and from the complexity of the system (in regards to a factory design, you can see why we would need more information).
Old 02-28-08, 05:12 AM
sunfisher
Driver School Candidate

it is the pioneer system no changer. ust want to replace buzzing sub sorry i did not leave enough info thx
Old 02-28-08, 05:52 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok sounds like the identical system to my own. Your sub 'buzzing' could be a few things (just guessing). Amp, Sub itself, or the headunit or wiring.

Hopefully some others will chime in with some first 'look'/check areas. Your sub might be just fine.
Old 02-28-08, 06:49 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Neofate
Ok sounds like the identical system to my own. Your sub 'buzzing' could be a few things (just guessing). Amp, Sub itself, or the headunit or wiring.

Hopefully some others will chime in with some first 'look'/check areas. Your sub might be just fine.
I've already been through this and found the problem to be the foam surrounding the subwoofer has deteriorated/desintigrated and needs to be replaced. This is what makes the buzzing sound. Extremely easy to do with a refoaming kit from this company for less than $30... http://www.newfoam.com

The kit comes with foam replacement rings and replacement cones for two speakers, so you end up with a spare... I didn't need to re-cone my speaker because the cone was in good shape, just refoam the perimeter of the subwoofer.

Here are the exact dimensions/info you need to supply them with on the web site when placing the order for a Pioneer 8" subwoofer foam kit... There are three dimensions, plus the angle of the speaker. These dimensions worked perfectly. The finished product looks as good as the original. If the cone looks to be in good condition, you can save a few dollars by ordering the refoam kit without the replacement cones/dust covers.

> A measurement (inches) : 7 5/8"
> B measurement (inches) : 6 1/8"
> C measurement (inches) : 3"
> Angle of Foam : Slope

Jim

Last edited by JimsGX; 02-28-08 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-29-08, 12:28 PM
Sixdown
Driver

In my case it wasn't even the foam that had come loose, but the entire cone had come unglued from the magnet...so it was completely damaged. Secondly, it was so warn out and brittle from being in the sun for years that there's no point in reusing it...

So I instead put in an aftermarket Kicker free-air sub. You can reuse the bracket that was on the old one by cutting it out and putting in an 8" sub.