LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

An update on my problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-08, 08:12 PM
Masticore
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An update on my problems

ok when i last posted it was about my starter going out right before xmas....the rejects in my area as far as mechs wouldnt even mess with my LS400 when it came to a starter replacement, talk about lazy, even though i had the new starter in hand.
my buddy who has owned about 3 first gen LS400s stated that was a common problem on all of them he had...he was able to do the work and replace some of the injector seals as well and i finally got my baby back on friday...all this fun for $250.
BUT....
i had to relearn my car....i learned that when the battery is removed the alarm arms. and then reconnecting the battery sets it off...until you take the key and lock, then unlock the drivers door, then she started up.
AND NOW....
i noticed when it started that the engine was idling sick low like 600-700 rpms, way not normal from driving it before, and then stalls out if i dont apply the gas a bit to keep the engine revved around 1000 rpms.
so i went and put like 3 gallons of gas in and then a full can of seafoam into the tank to clean the engine out cause i personally have never used it on my car yet.
now i have this happen at every single ****in stoplight in town....
i have to hold the brake to stop the car and tap the gas to keep it from stalling.....i have noticed that this happened in every gear and a nice jolt is felt changing gears....the car shakes when it revves this low, i mean a serious jerk when the engines idles that coincides with the combustion cycle of the engine(the up\down i guess of the pistons)...
also something that never occured, the trac off and check engine like came on and no response to the button in the console....the lights were lit for maybe 20 minutes and the went out...this happened a second time the next day as well.
my car is drivable but in no way is it like it was before the starter went out.
i know the invasive procedure involved with a starter replacement and i guess something wasnt connected properly....i hope it is something i can fix.
my guess is something to do with the throttle body sticking or maybe the trac unit. my mech mentioned something about a relay on the are intake that connects to the throttle body, that when this relay is plugged in it stalls the car but disconnected it wont start, so he connected it halfway and i have since then connected it fully.

any help would be greatly appreciated......
let me know what to check and i will keep this up to date.....
Old 02-24-08, 08:31 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm still learning on the LS 400 -- But it sounds like a few things.

If this wasn't present before..

Is your MAF sensor plugged in? Some of these plugs are brittle (connectors) and removing them can break the clips.. so you then need to rig it to stay in place (or buy a new connector and rewire). With a MAF off, the car will act like this in some occaisons (I've heard).

Also sounds like a possible Vaccuum leak. Very easy to overlook reattaching a hose when working on an engine on the reassembly. Also very possible is cutting a hose, or having a brittle one crack on you, that you aren't aware of. I would check all your vacuum hoses for leaks.

The 600RPM is normal. Mine idles at 500-600 and is smooth as butter. So this isn't 'too low' of an RPM to be idling at. The battery disconnect and reconnect does reset the ECU, but the default settings would not wreak havoc and cause an engine to act in the manner you are describing (unless there is some other problem that exists with it).

I'm sure others will chime in with a whole slew of things to check.

*I am surprised no mechanic would put the starter in. -- A can see one rejecting the job .. but all of them? wow.*
Old 02-24-08, 10:53 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

the idle speed is fine, id have your boy check the vacuum routing and double check the wiring aorund the injectors/intake.
Old 02-25-08, 08:24 AM
Tommyboy72
Rookie

I hate to say it but this is pretty similar to what my LS is doing with a bad alternator. If you rev it over 3k RPMs all the warning lights go off (as its getting enough voltage). Once I let it idle, all the lights come on, especially if I have the stereo and/or the headlights on. However mine finally sucked the battery of power eventually. Trickle charging it brings the battery back just so I can move the car around. I would try it the climate control, radio, and headlights off compared to all of them on to see if there is any relationship. At least it will help you eliminate some causes.
Old 02-26-08, 09:00 AM
Masticore
Driver School Candidate

ok so i learned the "relay" i was refering to was the MAF, so i unplugged it and reconnected it to get a solid connection and i pulled the EFI fuse like PD mentioned in the thread similar to mine to reset the ECU. left it unpluged about a half a minute and then reconnected it...i did this a few minutes ago...and since my last post the Trac off light and CEL have NOT come on again. i am going through the struggle so i wasnt able to put in 93 octane on my last fuel up which was only a gallon, if that, of 87 octane to get me home from work last night. so hopefully today i can put some 93 in her again. the car started up and then idled what seemed normal, but i will update when i get down the road a few miles and get better gas...and i def need to change my oil soon...not sure when that was done last since i have only put about 1500 miles on it since i got it...but thats next on my to do list when i get paid this friday.
like i said im still learning about this car...i tell you for a 91, toyota was way ahead of its time when it comes to engine computers and the technology that runs the car....i learn something new everyday. but thats why i got it...and i am still fascinated by it even though i have these troubles in my hard times...
i love it, what can i say! It's MY Lexus LS400