LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Ticking sound from engine is it normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-10, 07:02 AM
Amskeptic
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex93fan
Mine ticks right now and it gets louder as you get on it.The guy I bought it from said it was probably stuck lifters from sitting so long.I knew it wasn't rod knock because it just didn't have the same sound.Once I had my friend look at it he determined its just the EGR tube thats cracked.
There is some subtlety involved in determining what and where a noise is coming from. A tick that gets louder when you put a load on the engine does point you towards exhaust items like the EGR pipe. A rod knock will get louder with higher engine speed, and actually likes to do the rattlesnake rattle when you lift off the accelerator at high engine speed. Excessive valve clearance is consistent and usually gets drowned out by high rpm. This drilled-out-lifter-pad noise had a very specific symptom designed to drive you crazy: it goes away entirely then just as suddenly comes back. Whenever the lifter bucket would "glue" itself to the valve, the noise would be gone. You'd be standing there staring down saying to the engine, can't you just sound like that all the time? and then suddenly taptaptaptap would come back. . . then go away again.
Colin
Old 01-28-10, 08:46 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I hear the tick tick only when I am at a drive thru where the wall amplifies the noise and I have my window down. Mine is a '92. Probably normal. Is the statement that if the injectors are clean they make no noise true? My car runs very well and I get 18 MPG in city and 27 on the highway
Old 01-29-10, 02:12 AM
JAndersson
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sam12345
I hear the tick tick only when I am at a drive thru where the wall amplifies the noise and I have my window down. Mine is a '92. Probably normal. Is the statement that if the injectors are clean they make no noise true? My car runs very well and I get 18 MPG in city and 27 on the highway
Accordning to python earlier in this post:
"clean injectors will tick, dirty injectors are silent"

Sounds logical to me. So your injectors are probably clean.
Old 01-29-10, 11:47 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

oh ok, I read it wrong. so mine are ok.
Old 01-30-10, 08:22 PM
michael69
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

normal. i was told its the injectors
Old 10-03-11, 08:31 AM
KMinAF
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A little disapointed

I have to say that I am a little disapointed that I would have to go through and adjust the valves after only 188000 miles. I have done this procedure when building a 7MGTE / 7MGE engines or after having the valves ground but never due to wear. Even all of those Corollas running around out there with the same bucket/shim set up are quieter and with more miles than my LS400.
Sorry, just had to vent.

Can anyone for certain tell me why? Are the valve seats retreating into the head? If the valves were wearing then I would think you would have more instances of burned valves. If the cam lobes/shims were wearing then I would think you would have more failures due to flat cams.
Old 10-03-11, 07:11 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

lol, only 188k miles.

go do some research into the TYPES of valvetrain configuration used by those old corollas and the 7M-g(t)e has similar valvetrain click on occasion.
Old 10-04-11, 03:24 PM
KMinAF
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default All things considered

For having 188k miles it really has been a great car. The key I found is to address the problem as soon as it happens instead of waiting until disaster strikes.
Old 10-05-11, 01:03 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixdown
I remember in other cars of mine that the electrical system would tick. Was it the distributor or spark plugs? Can't remember.

I have a similar question. When I push the accelerator pedal and then let go, as it revs downwards theres a large creak/ticking once it hits low revs. This happens every time I push the pedal and let go.
I know "sixdown" kind of thread jacked here, but since it's old I'd like to ask if anyone has an answer for the creak/ticking he described in his second paragraph? I have the same condition, when I rev the engine I get this noise as the rpm's come back down. It's coming from the front of the engine as if it is the fan or a tensioner.
Old 06-01-13, 02:45 PM
Twista4004
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's revisit this thread.

So if rhetoric is that this is normal; did these engines sound like this when they were released from factory? I'm sure being that it's 20 years later there is a difference but how to get it as close to factory as possible? I took note of the pictures and diagram posted earlier in the thread so as to give it a shot tomorrow but is it definitive?
Old 06-02-13, 01:44 PM
DrifterJ
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the helpful post lol. it too put me at ease. Ive heard a slight tick, but now i know im not the only one!
Old 06-02-13, 02:09 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I can hear my injectors at the drive through or similar. When the sound is bouncing off the wall and the window is down. I think many people are confusing injector ticking vs valve slap. It's a waste of money to pay for a valve adjustment until you starting hearing real valve noise. Need to listen for it at the cover. Plus, the knock sensor code would be activated.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FZNj7AodvmoAIg

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 06-02-13 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-02-13, 03:56 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Now that sound would worry me. My 92 has some very minor tick most what i hear is a bearing on a pulley sounding off once and awhile. But even that is very minor don't even hear it with hood down.
Old 06-02-13, 10:49 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

the sound on that video is no valve tick at all, that is more along the lines of a rod knocking, or if it is a valve, it is a valve hitting a piston!

whoever owns the car in that video needs to be checking out the latest auto-trader issue, or else ebay, that car won't be running in 6 months
Old 06-03-13, 04:41 PM
DrifterJ
Driver School Candidate

If i'm not mistaken, isn't the U1ZFE a non interference motor?

Quick Reply: Ticking sound from engine is it normal?