LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

DIY - Battery Replacement in Lexus Key

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-10, 10:05 PM
Norboo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post!

Any update as to reputable places to purchase key shell online?

Mine broke and I need a new one. Where do I go to get the key cut after I receive the shell?

Thank you

Old 07-27-10, 06:22 PM
uuuuu
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did this on my 1992 LS400 (took the CR1216 battery). Total cost: $3.27 . Increased my range significantly! Can't even tell how far away it works because I can't hear the doors locking/unlocking after a certain distance.

Just a heads up, my old battery registered 3.04 volts, and the new one was 3.30 volts. Old range was spotty even up to 10 feet.
Old 07-27-10, 08:18 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Took my 92 to lexus for a battery since my one key had none. They put one in but nothing happened so after hearing what the cost would be to redo the system i said forget it. Bought another battery myself later but would work once every 20 or so tries. Funny how that same battery was 16 bucks at dealer but 3 bucks at interstate. Anyway put a viper remote entry for a hundred.
Old 09-04-10, 03:51 PM
lexuslspro
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 98 Ls400 takes CR1616 and it's a piece of cake DIY!
Old 09-22-10, 06:20 AM
99LSBrad
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Did all of mine yesterday. My 99 and 03 LS's both take 1616.
Old 09-22-10, 02:43 PM
StevieA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Took my 92 to lexus for a battery since my one key had none. They put one in but nothing happened so after hearing what the cost would be to redo the system i said forget it. Bought another battery myself later but would work once every 20 or so tries. Funny how that same battery was 16 bucks at dealer but 3 bucks at interstate. Anyway put a viper remote entry for a hundred.
Mine's the same. Would only work within inches of the car so I replaced the battery. No better. Now to the point as you say "only works one in 20 pushes of the button" baffling 93 ls400
Old 09-22-10, 06:52 PM
uuuuu
Rookie

My range is becoming hit or miss as well. One of these days I'm going to experiment with different key orientations and positions. For example, can I get longer range if I hold the key high above my head and point the metal tip towards the car? Or close to my side and angle the keyfob towards the ground?
Old 09-23-10, 08:53 AM
StevieA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by uuuuu
My range is becoming hit or miss as well. One of these days I'm going to experiment with different key orientations and positions. For example, can I get longer range if I hold the key high above my head and point the metal tip towards the car? Or close to my side and angle the keyfob towards the ground?
LOL

Done all that - prob look like an idiot standing there for minutes trying to get the door to unlock automatically when all i have to do is insert the key LOL

But I like things to work when they're supposed to - wish I could afford a 2010 LS!
Old 01-18-11, 02:56 PM
andyman32
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'99 is a 1616, just FYI...
Old 01-18-11, 04:14 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by uuuuu
It just seems that the battery lacks the power to transmit well. Even with a new battery, the unit works intermittently. My son pulled the battery out and hooked up an external power supply to the fob and it worked flawlessly every time, lock...unlock. So we suspect the choice of battery was just very marginal in the early model LS design.

I have found on my '92 that pressing and holding in the button for a few seconds as I am walking towards the car, does the trick most of the time. A quick jab won't work. That assumes a fresh battery.
Old 02-02-11, 10:04 AM
sethjon
Driver

Originally Posted by Neofate
Thanks Dan.

This is for , well, "Do it yourself'ers" -- Some people just want to do it themselves regardless of what it is.

Though I agree getting the battery changed out in the key is generally not an expensive thing to do. (I have no idea if the dealership would charge you more than $5.. but I would be inclined to think yes.. )

Besides the battery needs to be changed what , once a decade? Maybe every 5-6 yrs to be safe?

I was going to grab a second gen key and show how to transfer the guts.. but it is the same procedure, it would be almost impossible not to follow these directions (or basically remove the screw hehe)-- and not figure it out.

Only danger is in mis-threading the screw, stripping the screw head (biggest thing I would imagine, due to size) -- and not allowing for the case to be closed and come to together seamlessly.

Remember anyone who is changing their batteries.. don't strip that screw.. if it doesn't move easily,.. do yourself a favor, and go beg, steal, or borrow the appropriate size screwdriver. -- Also just snug tight is all it needs, you overtighten now, next time you have to undo the key , it might come back to haunt you.
There is nothing at the dealer for $5 except maybe tipping the guy when he drives your car around for pick up.
Old 02-17-11, 11:02 PM
mr. tetsuo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by danj94
Nice writeup, very imformative. You can follow those instructions or, you can go to any Radio Shack and purchase the battery ( same cost ) as anywhere else, and they will install the battery FREE. I have had it done and they were very careful in not breaking the case.

Dan....
I took my key to radioshack today and they stripped the tiny screw. So now I got a dead battery and no way to get it off.
Ughhh... Any help? Or should i just go to the stealership?
Old 02-18-11, 12:56 AM
beeronus
Rookie

Originally Posted by StevieA
Mine's the same. Would only work within inches of the car so I replaced the battery. No better. Now to the point as you say "only works one in 20 pushes of the button" baffling 93 ls400
mine does the same thing, i have a 95ls..
Old 09-19-13, 01:27 PM
Krisnc
Driver School Candidate

Default Key not working even with new battery

The key button stopped working on my 1995 GS300 key about a month ago and I saw this video on replacing the battery- which I did this am (thank you!)... but the key still doesn't open the doors. I then tried the two different versions of reprogramming the key listed on this forum, but neither did anything. Is there something I am overlooking (like a receiver problem I can fix)? I also wondered if this year and model has a different programming method? The dealer wants a min of $255 to replace the key (and they clearly did not want to do it for me).
Old 05-13-15, 05:27 AM
SonicC
Rookie

Sorry to bump such an old thread. I just wanted to confirm the battery for 98 LS400 is indeed CR1616. Maybe one of the mods can update the original post, since this thread is the first result that pops up on google if you search for "lexus ls400 key battery".

Quick Reply: DIY - Battery Replacement in Lexus Key