LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Seafoam DIY!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-08, 11:06 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe you can also use the PCV hose. Don't know how the RX's engine is setup though. So I don't know if it will get into every nook & cranny of the engine.
Old 06-05-08, 11:07 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

OR! add some extra hose to the booster to suck it in.
Old 06-17-08, 02:38 PM
Rex Ruthor
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another believer here. I managed to do it by myself, though. I pre-poured the seafoam and used the PCV valve hose. First, I loosened the hose and loosely re-connected it. Then, I got my garage broom and placed it on the started vehicle's accelerator pedal braced against the back of my driver's seat. I used the forward motor control on the power seat to bring idle at to 2,500 rpm and hold it there. Let the motor suck in the seafoam and did a quick shut down. Was amazed at how much smoke came out after letting it sit for twenty minutes. Subjective observations concur that idle and acceleration are smoother, and also there is marked oomph off the line acceleration via seat of pants dyno.
Old 06-17-08, 08:13 PM
UCF11
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must say this is very interesting,

Although I am skeptic. Im with the fello that suggested doing it twice and seeing if the smoke amount is the same, hence proving how much of the smoke is carbon and how much is the seafoam burning.

I personaly have never even heard of this stuff until now.

Must be an American thing. I can't find the stuff in Australia.

Probley just carby cleaner with a fancy (well not so fancy "Seafoam" HAHA) name.

I really dont like the idea of putting this stuff in your oil. Sounds very dodgy. This would change the viscosity of the oil.

Another thing is, Improved idle?? we are talking about a 1UZ, do you get any smoother hahahaha.
Old 06-17-08, 09:55 PM
Rex Ruthor
Driver

Originally Posted by UCF11
I must say this is very interesting,

Although I am skeptic. Im with the fello that suggested doing it twice and seeing if the smoke amount is the same, hence proving how much of the smoke is carbon and how much is the seafoam burning.

I personaly have never even heard of this stuff until now.

Must be an American thing. I can't find the stuff in Australia.

Probley just carby cleaner with a fancy (well not so fancy "Seafoam" HAHA) name.

I really dont like the idea of putting this stuff in your oil. Sounds very dodgy. This would change the viscosity of the oil.

Another thing is, Improved idle?? we are talking about a 1UZ, do you get any smoother hahahaha.
A lot of American racing enthusiasts Seafoam their intakes. I put one third in the intake and the rest in the fuel tank. First heard about it on the SVT Cobra forum. Some guys claimed dyno gains before and after, FWIW.

If not for anything else, the size of the cloud is an impressive spectacle.
Old 06-18-08, 02:04 AM
UCF11
Driver

hahahaha if you want smoke, next time you do your oil change, instead of disposing of that nasty black oil, just recycle it. straight into the fuel tank!!

the say hello to smoke ville (great prank to play on people)

So where do you guys purchase this seafoam, just from your adverage auto parts store? Is it an American Product? Any Idea if its paitented? as I have never heard of anything like this in australia even a cheap knock-off (I did a google search on australian sites and it just came up with stuff about sea polution and creating beach foam LOL)

I am interested to know more, but the more I learn the more im skeptic hahaha
Old 06-18-08, 09:16 AM
Rex Ruthor
Driver

Originally Posted by UCF11
hahahaha if you want smoke, next time you do your oil change, instead of disposing of that nasty black oil, just recycle it. straight into the fuel tank!!

the say hello to smoke ville (great prank to play on people)

So where do you guys purchase this seafoam, just from your adverage auto parts store? Is it an American Product? Any Idea if its paitented? as I have never heard of anything like this in australia even a cheap knock-off (I did a google search on australian sites and it just came up with stuff about sea polution and creating beach foam LOL)

I am interested to know more, but the more I learn the more im skeptic hahaha
Got my can at Walmart for $11. They sell it in marine motor stores as well.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUp.htm
Old 06-18-08, 01:01 PM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

it does change the oil. That's why you only run it for a short period before right before you change your oil.
Old 06-23-08, 06:25 PM
afcsdbt
Driver School Candidate

Default SeaFoam usage

An update on the SeaFoam usage attempting to fix my idle issue.

Background recap:
After a steady drive for ~ 2 hours or less on the highway followed by a quick stop at the rest station my idle, coming to a rolling stop, went down too low causing the engine to stall….
Although it started right up, the issue got worst with time .. the dealer could not find a thing wrong and the engine light never came on…. Once the dealer conducted the injector cleaning process (for about $100) the problem went away ‘till about 6 to 8 month….

I used the SeaFoam 3 times with an interval of ~ 300 Miles through the Booster Break-line etc… and twice in the fuel tank, each ½ can for a ¼ tank.

Results:
I drove up north in one shot 3 hours in one stroke and back…. Came to a rolling stop and the idle was normal…. No stall, car behaved as expected or same as when I got it back from the dealer post injector cleaning.
In fact, I back calculated the fuel consumptions and gained about 2.5 miles to the gallon.

All-in all, fact findings could suggest that I have corrected or found the root cause (carbon build-up) of my idle issue.

Next task:
Establish the overall interval on SeaFoam cleaning process… i.e. mileage in-between cleaning.
Old 06-23-08, 06:43 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

wow afcsdbt, that is a prety strong testimonial! My car seems to be running good, but if she can run smoother I am all for it. Seems like a pretty simple DIY!
Old 06-24-08, 05:43 AM
MoJoMan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 408Celsior
Just did it on my mom RX thru the PCV as told like 20mins ago but the problem is that I didn't get much smoke like my LS. is this normal or i do something wrong here
Where did you let the seafoam go? Did you put it in the intake on in the valve cover? If it went in the valve cover, you may want to change your oil.
Old 06-24-08, 06:56 PM
afcsdbt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by L_Sport
wow afcsdbt, that is a prety strong testimonial! My car seems to be running good, but if she can run smoother I am all for it. Seems like a pretty simple DIY!
Yep, I am an engineer… got to have data in order to make an assessment…. Especially when resolving a root cause….

What bothers me the most the dealer ship was NO help… yet they keep track in a database of all repairs and issues… on the databases are connected within the US.
Old 07-20-08, 05:56 PM
maxxed
7th Gear

i'm going to try this on my 98 LS. It gots 126k miles on it. I'm not sure which hose to d/c. I've attached picture

http://img234.imageshack.us/my.php?i...mage004tq1.jpg

which hose?

appreciate the help.
Old 07-20-08, 08:57 PM
cpcc
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe it is number 2. That should be going into your brake booster.
Pull it off and your idle should fluctuate. Put your thumb over it and it should have suction. If it does, it is the one.
I'm not a mechanic, but thats how I do it.
Old 07-20-08, 10:53 PM
convoy
Pole Position

hey guys, a little heads up... if u plan to seafoam ur fuel system via. fuel tank side, i suggest u pick up a new fuel filter as well. walmart has the fram ones, or u can go to redline, napa, checkers, dealer, etc. reason is, the seafoam will break up and clean all that gunk in the fuel lines. guess where all that funky stuff goes? yup, the filter. might as well change it since it's not that hard and will free up the fuel flow. there's a write up on LexLS.com, or if u have a service manual u can use that too. happy foaming

Quick Reply: Seafoam DIY!!