LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

93-94 LS owners, I dont think its possible to use home filters for Cabin Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-08, 12:21 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 93-94 LS owners, I dont think its possible to use home filters for Cabin Air Filter

My gs400 was so easy since my filter was a big square.

But on the 94 ls400 its a small square with an even smaller thinner square next to it with no supports.

Everyone saying that you can just use a home filter for the 93-94 and DIY cut it to fit ...I dont think so. There is just no way of securely doing it.

For the 95+ ya sure its a squre shape that will fit jsut fine.

Just a headsup, now ima go buy an oem one .. sigh... edit TWO oem ones
Old 01-30-08, 12:31 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd just buy an OEM one....buck up and pay the extra $20 for one that is a perfect fit and right material.

Unless you're really that broke....then maybe you shouldn't be driving a Lexus! hahah
Old 01-30-08, 12:44 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by jcrome04
I'd just buy an OEM one....buck up and pay the extra $20 for one that is a perfect fit and right material.

Unless you're really that broke....then maybe you shouldn't be driving a Lexus! hahah
uh huh, you enjoy that

high quality home filters work as well or better than the paper mesh lexus used.

and for first gens, i vaguely remember sing someone double layering small pieces of filter so they fit snugly but cant recall who posted it
Old 01-30-08, 07:39 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Yes - for the 95+ there is a tray that the filter fits into. I am not familiar with the pre 95 though. Seems like the cut to fit filters could be made to fit though. Sure the OEM is affordable though. I like the washable one as I can clean it as often as I like.
Old 01-30-08, 09:20 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

No im not that broke but whats the point of wasting $?

I have a LS4 and GS4 If i was broke I would only have one.

Anyways, the home filters would be nearly impossible to use.

The 93-94 filter is two part, theres a smaller skinnier part and a thicker wider part. The thicker wider one.. MAYBE you can get the home filter to stay put but the skinnier one.. impossible. Theres nothing for the filter to hold onto. Unless you tie some string all around it. But then there would be many air holes.

This thread is more informative than anything to help others out.
Old 01-30-08, 09:26 AM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

The point of "wasting" a few extra bucks is for a perfect product. It slides in effortlessly, no modding needed and the entire job is done in less than 30min, rather than wasting TIME cutting, test fitting, cutting, fitting again, cutting, cutting.

Unless you're just talking about hacking it apart once and shoving it in and calling it good. Then it'd be just as fast!
Old 01-30-08, 11:17 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

The point of "wasting" a few extra bucks is for a perfect product. It slides in effortlessly, no modding needed and the entire job is done in less than 30min, rather than wasting TIME cutting, test fitting, cutting, fitting again, cutting, cutting.

Unless you're just talking about hacking it apart once and shoving it in and calling it good. Then it'd be just as fast!
You some sort of elite-ist or something? This forum is a lot about diy. I cut out the shape of the filter ONCE. How hard is it to cut? We learned how to cut in elemetary school.

Basically what youre saying is similar to...

"my license plate lights went out, instead of doing it myself and finding the bulb at autozone, let me take it to lexus to have them replace it with one of their bulbs that cost 3 times more but does the exact same thing"

Get over it and welcome to the internet
Old 01-30-08, 01:08 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't run with the scissors!!
Old 01-30-08, 03:59 PM
turbosix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cabin air filter started in 93, right?
Old 01-30-08, 05:10 PM
kens97sto
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other thing you COULD do is just take the thing out and leave it out... Its amazing how just about every other car in the world "gets by" without a cabin air filter... Not saying I would take mine out.. just that if you want to save money you could save both time and money and forget about it.

Ken
Old 01-30-08, 06:13 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kens97sto
The other thing you COULD do is just take the thing out and leave it out... Its amazing how just about every other car in the world "gets by" without a cabin air filter... Not saying I would take mine out.. just that if you want to save money you could save both time and money and forget about it.

Ken
True, mine is out right now. Ill be replacing it soon anyways. The filter in my gs is only 1 year old but its gotten a good amount of dirt on it. Id rather the filter catch most of it than my face
Old 01-30-08, 10:09 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used some 3m expensive filter to try it out. It gets more flow as i am not worried about small dust particles.
Old 01-30-08, 10:25 PM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Wow don't get your panties in a bunch!
Old 01-30-08, 10:33 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by j stuff
Everyone saying that you can just use a home filter for the 93-94 and DIY cut it to fit ...I dont think so. There is just no way of securely doing it.

For the 95+ ya sure its a squre shape that will fit jsut fine.
Dont waste your time buying all those expensive Lexus filters, I say just sell ur car and buy a 95-up LS 400. That way you will have the correct brackets to hold the filter and you wont have to mess with 2 different thickness's (sp) with the 93 car.
Old 01-31-08, 10:24 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Wow don't get your panties in a bunch!
wampwamp

Have nothing smart to say back.

Quick Reply: 93-94 LS owners, I dont think its possible to use home filters for Cabin Air Filter