LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Possible Bearing Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-08, 10:09 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Possible Bearing Issue

Ok guys, I need a little help myself. I have, what I suspect, is a wheel bearing that is going bad. My brother has had my car for a few days and he told me that he was on the highway and had to hit the brakes hard because someone had changed lanes in front of him and cut him really short. Says that the next time he hit the brakes he heard a loud, rubbing like noise coming from the rear end. He thought it might have been a stuck caliper, but he is not a mechanic. I finally drove my car last night, and I was horrified to hear what was going on. When the car is in motion, I can hear a roaring sound inside fo the car that only gets louder and worse the faster I go. From the outside, there is a little noise, but not like it is inside. It sound almost like a tire rubbing on the fender, but this i snot the case. First, I thought he might have hit something, or something was rubbing against the drive shaft. Not the case as my bro is very careful with my car and we have never had a problem with each others vehicles. He has even offered to assist in paying for the repair as it was in his posession when it happened. Not mad b/c it happened when he had my car more than me not really having a clue as to where to start looking to get problem fixed. Can anyone tell me what the true definate signs of worn bearings are? Are the bearings pressed in, or easy to change? I am almost inclined to lean this way as my car is a 92, and I am not aware if they ever have been changed. Please let me know.
Old 01-29-08, 01:44 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

jack up the rear end both sides, use jack stands. get in the car, put it in gear, slowly! acclereate to about 40. have someone stnad outside or you stnad outside while they drive. listen ot the noise.

wiggle the rear wheels try to tilt them top to bottom, see if they feel loose at all.
if you hear the noise and the wheel is loose, you need a bearing.
make sure it's not a bent backing plate rubbing the rotor too, maybe something hit it.

if it is a bearing, you'll need to remove the entire hub assy from the car. control arms, axle, brake caliper and rotor have to come off. then the hub assy. comes off. then you'll need to buy a bearing and take it to a shop that has a press, it will need to be pressed out and in. buy the new clips and seals as well.
be careful iwth the wheel speed sensor, it's gets rusty and stuck.
let me know if i can help any more.
Old 01-29-08, 04:36 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the inside of the tire may be rubbing on the inside rear of the tire as the car moves forward. I would say the front link has broken the bushing and now the wheel is moving back and forth. Put the car in drive and reverse and lightly give it gas with the brakes applied, while someone looks at the wheel to see how much movement is there.
Old 01-29-08, 07:57 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Default Update!!!

Thanks for the help guys. I got the car up on a lift this evening and threw it in gear. Found out it was my worse nightmare, entire rear end is completely shot(Differential is fried). Now have to start to search the bone yards tomorrow to see if I can find another rear end to put under the car. The wheels were not rubbing at all; just about everything suspension wise has been replaced within the last year. Only thing left in the rear to replace were the carrier arm bushings, bearings, and upper control arms. Oh well, gotta patch her back up and give her the support that she needs. Sad to say, but she will be parting ways from me later this year.
Old 01-29-08, 08:01 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by trukn1
Thanks for the help guys. I got the car up on a lift this evening and threw it in gear. Found out it was my worse nightmare, entire rear end is completely shot(Differential is fried). Now have to start to search the bone yards tomorrow to see if I can find another rear end to put under the car. The wheels were not rubbing at all; just about everything suspension wise has been replaced within the last year. Only thing left in the rear to replace were the carrier arm bushings, bearings, and upper control arms. Oh well, gotta patch her back up and give her the support that she needs. Sad to say, but she will be parting ways from me later this year.
hey, take a pic of the diff and send it to me/post it here, i might have an idea
Old 01-29-08, 08:10 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Will see if I can get some pics when I assist in the install and removal. My differential was really "GROWLING" when I put the car into gear on the lift. Pulled the fill plug to check my fluid level, thought it was OK because I knew I had just had it changed a little over a year ago. Apparently it was leaking, but I never knew it. Damn thing SWALLOWED nearly 2 qarts of gear oil, but was still growling afterwards, so she is done. Never saw any puddles of any sort, nothing. It does, however, clear up a few other problems I thought I may be having with the car. Hindsight is 20/20 and now I am kicking myself in the hind. LOL!!!!
Old 01-30-08, 04:53 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

good luck finding a ucf10 ina yard! i have one here by me but that's the only one i've ever seen...
Old 01-30-08, 07:20 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

19, ucf10's are almost next to impossible to find in the bone yard, trust me I have looked. Every once in a while we get sporatic spurts of them coming thru. I have a friend who frequents the yards and assures me that he has seen several this week, so I am gonna go and look today and ****** one if it is there.

Tech question for anyone,, I should be good with ANY 1st gen rear end (differential) right?? or can I use the rear end off of any gen LS??
Old 01-30-08, 08:13 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

I would stay with a ucf10, as the trans gear ratios changed with the next gen cars. of course, you might end up with a shorter ratio, i don't know, but that would be cool if it would just bolt in.
Old 01-30-08, 08:58 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

this is why i need a pic
Old 01-30-08, 11:37 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

^ get him a pic, i'd like to know the answer too!