LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

ICE!!! Slipping and Sliding (PIC INSIDE)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-08, 05:55 AM
XareeLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry ICE!!! Slipping and Sliding (PIC INSIDE)

We all read about it on this forum but most of us think, "It will never happen to me!"
Well, "It did happen to me!!" During my regular commute on Tuesday, I (along with about 25 other drivers) hit a huge stretch of black ice and needless to say, we all had a session of "figure skating". I was doing real good, had my speed in check, VSC was doing it's job in my wonderful 2000 LS until this lady in a van decides my lane would be best for her needs.
Long story short, there was a chain reaction and about 15 vehicles ahead of her had hit each other in one way or another. She proceeded to hit her brakes hard and I did all my poor soul could do not to slide into her, but I could not do it all.
My wonderful LS, which I've only had for a month or so (traded up from a '97), decides to kiss the van's bottom and, VIOLA...here is the outcome.
Attached Thumbnails ICE!!! Slipping and Sliding (PIC INSIDE)-left-side-view.jpg  
Old 01-27-08, 06:01 AM
XareeLex
Driver School Candidate

Another view
Attached Thumbnails ICE!!! Slipping and Sliding (PIC INSIDE)-right-side-view.jpg  
Old 01-27-08, 06:02 AM
XareeLex
Driver School Candidate

This proves that this vehicles are made of STEEL...lol. I was SOOO happy that the damage did not get to the vital parts
Attached Thumbnails ICE!!! Slipping and Sliding (PIC INSIDE)-under-hood-view.jpg  
Old 01-27-08, 06:38 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn women!! Im sorry to hear that bro, at least she doesn't look too bad, you got pretty lucky, it could have been alot worse.
Old 01-27-08, 07:57 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to see this, glad that no one was hurt. Doesnt look bad at all, new hood and maybe front bumper cover and good as new.
Old 01-27-08, 08:04 AM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn that sucks man, shouldn't be too bad to fix though.

I got snow tires installed on friday and drove up the mountain yesterday.. even on straight up glare ice, the car handled fine! It was like driving on dry pavement! I'm amazed at how much of a difference that made..
Old 01-27-08, 08:21 AM
XareeLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by trukn1
Sorry to see this, glad that no one was hurt. Doesnt look bad at all, new hood and maybe front bumper cover and good as new.
I am glad too I walked out if it...at least I was slowed down pretty good coz not even the airbags deployed...I should pick her up first weeb of February...hopefully she will be good as new.
Old 01-27-08, 08:24 AM
XareeLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Suneet
Damn that sucks man, shouldn't be too bad to fix though.

I got snow tires installed on friday and drove up the mountain yesterday.. even on straight up glare ice, the car handled fine! It was like driving on dry pavement! I'm amazed at how much of a difference that made..
I am seriously considering getting some snow tires. Here in NC, we don't get too much of bad winter weather but when we do, the fools out there do not know how to drive in those conditions and it causes havoc.
My city had over 100 wrecks on Tuesday alone. Body shop businesses around here will have a good start this year.
Old 01-27-08, 08:45 AM
Sixdown
Driver

Ouch....I've also been having risky driving conditions around here, but I have yet to loose substantial control of my car. Out of stupidity, I'm still running worn-out Michelins that still seem to ride well.
Old 01-27-08, 09:07 AM
Dutch
Pole Position

i know how you feel bro, up here in wyoming its pretty much icy all the time. when im highway driving with bad conditions i always keep my distance from traffic the best i can. but that doesnt mean someone cant hit me from behind, sometimes theres just nothing you can do
Old 01-27-08, 11:25 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

ouch

well at least u got out of it in one piece, thats all that really matters.

the accident most likely wasnt very bad, but the repairs wont be cheap. you need from what i can see a new hood, grill, maybe a front bumper, front bumper support and depending on condition, some headlights.
Old 01-27-08, 11:55 AM
XareeLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
ouch

well at least u got out of it in one piece, thats all that really matters.

the accident most likely wasnt very bad, but the repairs wont be cheap. you need from what i can see a new hood, grill, maybe a front bumper, front bumper support and depending on condition, some headlights.
You are right Pure....for what seems to be seemingly monir damage, the tab will be right at about $5000. If those airbags had deployed or if the damage penetrated into the innards, I think I would be saying bye bye to my baibe.
Old 01-27-08, 07:58 PM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

wow, sorry about your accident......glad you weren't hurt....
Old 01-27-08, 10:20 PM
takumi117
Driver

ouch, now get a quote from the insurance and get her fixed! pronto
Old 01-28-08, 09:14 AM
93LSexy
Rookie

that sucks dude. my friend owns a body shop up here in NY and he sees those all the time. just small fender bender = $$$$$$$.

It looks like your fendors are good and your lights are even good. But your radiator support is definately bent and that will probably cost you the most since there's a labor evolved...

My estimate on that job is probably going to be around $2K.

Quick Reply: ICE!!! Slipping and Sliding (PIC INSIDE)