LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1995 LS400 Power Steering Pump Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-08, 07:36 PM
npcomplete
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 LS400 Power Steering Pump Problem...

Here is my problem with the pump...

I replaced the pump due to whining noise. Prior replacement, there was no leak and fluid was kept at the correct level. I also cleaned the solenoid filter (rack) as the forum recommended. Result, no change, still whining like crazy. Took the pump back to Autozone and got another one. Put the pump back in and did the flush again and cleaned the solenoid filter just to be safe... STILL WHINING LIKE CRAZY At this point, I have ordered Power Steering Pump rebuilt kit from Lexus along with a bearing to rebuild the original pump by my self to rule out defective re-manufactured pumps.

Is there anything else I should be looking into? should I be suspecting a rack? any insights would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Old 01-26-08, 08:43 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

search, hell theres a sticky at the top that tells you what to look for in so much as what can/will/does break...
Old 01-26-08, 09:34 PM
npcomplete
Driver School Candidate

Thanks PureDrifter, but I did search for several days and yes I am aware of the sticky as well... great info btw... however, how do you determine rack and pinion is bad without obvious leaks? Thanks again!
Old 01-27-08, 12:50 AM
nawls400
Rookie

actually this kinda worries me now that you mention this...because i have a 1st gen LS and i have a huge whining noise but have not lost any fluids in my power steering pump, have not tried to replace it yet...was going to do it soon but now hearing this I am curious as well...i also rad the power steering sticky but i geuss you could say my case is also unique...i have the whinning noise but have not lost any fluids...
Old 01-27-08, 01:37 AM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

its weird how so many people are havin a problem with their ls400. im started to get scared now lol. thats weird i havent heard any noise from my power steering pump yet. my freakin dad put brake fluid in there too. thank god we flushed it out with the quickness
Old 01-27-08, 01:49 PM
nawls400
Rookie

Originally Posted by PK_Celsior
its weird how so many people are havin a problem with their ls400. im started to get scared now lol. thats weird i havent heard any noise from my power steering pump yet. my freakin dad put brake fluid in there too. thank god we flushed it out with the quickness

Yeah but at the same time we can't expect parts to last 18 years (for some of us) without having to be changed eventually...although it is kinda frustraiting having things go out, so it really is kinda expected at this age for a car. ALthough if you think about the many problems that people are experiencing, it's not all the same and the problem is mostly unique to the type of care and driving people do for their cars I mean all these things ar enot necessarily going to happen to us...it all depends how we drive and take care of our cars and it's not a surprise that many people are having many different problems, cuz we don't all drive and do the same things to our cars.

Of course don't get me wrong I realize there are also many people having the same issues (like the power steering pump)...but how can Lexus honestly know that 20 years down the road their car might have a power steering problem, it's jsut not possible to put 20 years of driving in a practicable amount of time and get their product out with new technology...if that makes sense?

Anyways any ideas on why I would be not be losing fluid in my power steering pump and then have that whining noise (hopefully mine is not the same case as above because I don't really want to go through 3 new pumps =/ to find out this is still gonna happen).

Sorry and hopefully someone else can help npcomplete
Old 01-27-08, 02:19 PM
nolyaw
Driver School Candidate

I did a complete flush on my PS system, cleaned the solenoid and so on. Beforehand, mine was as quiet as could be, I just did preventative maintainence. Afterwards, it was sqealing like a mother. I had to turn the wheel lock to lock no less than 50 times to get all the air out. And then drive it to get things moving again. It seemed like it would never stop. after awhile it did and is normal again. Are you sure you bled it completel?
Old 01-28-08, 02:18 PM
npcomplete
Driver School Candidate

I bled and bled (more than 100 times...) no luck yet. It will get quiet (not completely) after getting warmed up. But it the whining comes back in the morning when I first start.

I am yet to rebuild the original power steering pump with OEM parts from Lexus. I will report back when I am done. I just don't trust reman parts from Autozone any more...
Old 01-28-08, 02:49 PM
nolyaw
Driver School Candidate

[

I am yet to rebuild the original power steering pump with OEM parts from Lexus. I will report back when I am done. I just don't trust reman parts from Autozone any more...[/QUOTE]

I never did.
Old 01-28-08, 05:41 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I had the air control valve on my 93 LS replaced several years ago, it took about a week of steady driving to get the squealing stopped. This was after I turned the wheel back and forth at least 50 times in an attempt to get all the air out.

There is something about the LS power steering that makes it hard to bleed.
Old 01-30-08, 05:27 AM
npcomplete
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE: Rebuilt kit and bearing arrived and pump was taken completely apart for a rebuild. All the gaskets and snap rings and bearing are replaced and is ready to be installed... will keep you posted on progress...

PIC: Pump taken apart mixed with new parts and old parts...
Attached Thumbnails 1995 LS400 Power Steering Pump Problem...-disassembled.jpg  
Old 02-12-08, 01:32 PM
npcomplete
Driver School Candidate

FINAL UPDATE:

1. All three(3) rebuilt power steering pumps were defective two(2) from Autozone and one(1) from Advanced Auto Parts.

2. Rebuilt the Original pump myself with Lexus rebuilt kit but still no go.

3. Finally ordered Pump and High Pressure Hose both NEW OEM from Lexus. Works like a charm!

Total cost:
OEM Pressure Hose 44410-50040 $328.89
OEM Power Steering Pump 44320-50020 $469.51

I had no problem what so ever bleeding air out once I had new parts installed.
Old 02-12-08, 01:35 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

that tells us that you should have replaced the hose the first time u replaced the pump....
Old 02-12-08, 01:43 PM
npcomplete
Driver School Candidate

It was all defective remanufactured pumps. They all whined like crazy; OEM New pump did the trick... and I just did the hose as a PM after verifying it was defective pumps...
Old 02-12-08, 01:49 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

ahh ok

if u were having trouble bleeding the system though it could have very well been a leaky (even pinhole sized leak) on the high pressure hose...

Quick Reply: 1995 LS400 Power Steering Pump Problem...