LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Oil burning/Power Steering '90

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 07:39 PM
Sixdown
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil burning/Power Steering '90

Well, I just bought my LS400 about a month ago, and it's been running fine up until now. The power steering fluid will literally disappear after a few hours of driving or leaving it overnight...which means i need to fill it up every day or so. There is residue under the power steering reservoir, but it isn't fresh at all.

When I start the car, it is literally impossible to turn the wheel without brute force.

Next problem. When I start the car or keep it in idle, the exhaust smokes quite a large amount. The smoke isn't obviously blue, but the presence of it, and the strong oil smell indicates that some seal or gasket is just gone. I'm not sure if it involves the valve seals, which my mechanic suggested over the phone.

Could it be a head gasket or something? There is no noticeable oil in the engine bay.
Old 01-22-08, 07:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Is the smoke white? Common problem, your power steering air control valve might be shot, and leaks power steering fluid into your intake manifold. It's a $100 part, or you could just remove it and plug it - it's locate on the bottom of your power steering pump.
Old 01-22-08, 09:35 PM
Sixdown
Driver

Originally Posted by Och
Is the smoke white? Common problem, your power steering air control valve might be shot, and leaks power steering fluid into your intake manifold. It's a $100 part, or you could just remove it and plug it - it's locate on the bottom of your power steering pump.
The smoke is quite strong, and has an oil smell to it. It certainly is not blue though...which confuses me. Any idea of what causes it?

You seem right about the power steering. I went to check it out, and it's leaking around there. It's weird not being able to turn the steering wheel at all.
Old 01-22-08, 09:57 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixdown
The smoke is quite strong, and has an oil smell to it. It certainly is not blue though...which confuses me. Any idea of what causes it?

You seem right about the power steering. I went to check it out, and it's leaking around there. It's weird not being able to turn the steering wheel at all.
When transmission fluid burns, it creates white smoke. The power steering system is designed to use automatic transmission fluid (ATF). I wouldn't just plug it though. If the engineers put the valve in the pump from the factory then there is obviously a need for it in order for the car to perform as it was designed to.
Old 01-22-08, 10:05 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by sonyman
When transmission fluid burns, it creates white smoke. The power steering system is designed to use automatic transmission fluid (ATF). I wouldn't just plug it though. If the engineers put the valve in the pump from the factory then there is obviously a need for it in order for the car to perform as it was designed to.
its been thoroughly tested by numerous members in the LS community that blocking the valve has no negative effects.

SC4s didnt even have the valve in their pumps.
Old 01-23-08, 05:35 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Actually plugging that valve has positive effects

1) It stops PS leaks into intake manifold, so your car will no longer lose PS fluid or blow white smoke.
2) It gets rid of low idle.

The only reason the valve is there is to tighen the steering feel at higher speed, but those of us who removed or bypassed the valve can't feel any difference. I sure can't.

The only thing, after you plug the valve, you should clean your throttle body, manually, - see tutorials at lexls.com, and you should also run seafoam treatments in your intake manifold - search these forums for "seafoam". I think the ES forum has the best tutorial on seafoam threatment. Your intake manifold is probably a mess right now with all that PS fluid leaking in there.
Old 01-23-08, 08:07 AM
93LSexy
Rookie

Well, I just bought my LS400 about a month ago, and it's been running fine up until now. The power steering fluid will literally disappear after a few hours of driving or leaving it overnight...which means i need to fill it up every day or so. There is residue under the power steering reservoir, but it isn't fresh at all.

When I start the car, it is literally impossible to turn the wheel without brute force.

Next problem. When I start the car or keep it in idle, the exhaust smokes quite a large amount. The smoke isn't obviously blue, but the presence of it, and the strong oil smell indicates that some seal or gasket is just gone. I'm not sure if it involves the valve seals, which my mechanic suggested over the phone.

Could it be a head gasket or something? There is no noticeable oil in the engine bay.

had the exact same problem. bought the valve, changed it, now it's perfect.
Old 01-23-08, 01:44 PM
Sixdown
Driver

Where is the PS valve located? Is it easy to get to? I'll replace it when I do my oil change tomorrow.

As for the throttle body, it seems easy to do.

Thanks a lot for the help everyone is providing.
Old 01-23-08, 02:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Where is the PS valve located? Is it easy to get to? I'll replace it when I do my oil change tomorrow.

As for the throttle body, it seems easy to do.

Thanks a lot for the help everyone is providing.
Right on the bottom of your PS pump.
Old 01-23-08, 03:22 PM
Sixdown
Driver

Another question. Would 205/70-15 tires fit on the stock 15" wheel?
The current ones are 205/65-15. All I want are taller tires.
Old 01-23-08, 04:21 PM
nolyaw
Driver School Candidate

It'll screw up your speedo and look retarded.
Old 01-23-08, 04:45 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by nolyaw
It'll screw up your speedo and look retarded.
but will aid greatly in snow conditions.....
research first, then post
Old 01-24-08, 02:18 PM
Sixdown
Driver

ok, I went and changed my oil, but how in the world do I get under the PS pump so that I can see what I'm doing? Is the valve located at the end of a hose?
Old 01-24-08, 02:51 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, I went and changed my oil, but how in the world do I get under the PS pump so that I can see what I'm doing? Is the valve located at the end of a hose?
Yes, there is a hose than runs from the intake plenum (the big 3" plastic hose right before the intake manifold) to the PS pump. This is where the valve is.

There are actually 2 hoses running, you'll have to see which one contains the valve.
Old 01-24-08, 03:49 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a thread to solve all your problems. I plugged mine with a short oil drain plug along with a crush washer. Skip the rubber plug thing.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=263642

Quick Reply: Oil burning/Power Steering '90