LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My LS' first time in the snow.. pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-08, 11:04 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink My LS' first time in the snow.. pics

Well Redmond and Seattle got showered with snow today.. I live in Seattle where it didn't snow much, but I work in Redmond.. I started to see the snow around 3pm but it wasn't really sticking. I saw how bad traffic was, so I stopped to eat dinner, and by 8pm.. it was pretty snowy.

Wow, the LS handles like a POS in the snow! I had some scary moments, but overall it was okay. At one point I was taking a freeway onramp in a counter clockwise direction, but my steering wheel was turned ALL THE WAY to the left! It was nuts.. It felt like a "Daytona power slide"..

I did manage to find an empty parking lot with some untouched snow..

Looks like I might need to invest in some snow tires!

Old 01-14-08, 11:38 PM
takumi117
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks fun! I never touched snow before...
Old 01-14-08, 11:49 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

lol daytona powerslide haha. donuts look good and yes the LS sucks in snow unfortunately.
Old 01-15-08, 05:38 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lucky! it seems to never snow here anymore. damn global warming. ever since i bought my jeep it hasn't snowed, for 3 winters now! maybe if i sell it, we'll get snow. of course, then it wont' be fun....
Old 01-15-08, 06:55 AM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

we had one good slippery snow where i live......driving my LS was like riding on a sled....just horrible.
after that, i bought a set of blizzaks, but it has not snowed since.
i did drive through a somewhat icy situation with the blizzaks and i must say they performed really well.
Old 01-15-08, 07:24 AM
oslo
Driver School Candidate

I have driven my '98 LS a few times in the snow now. Last winter I had some all season tires on and it handled decently. This winter I drove it once in the snow with summer tires, and it didn't do so well. I got stuck quite a few times and needed the help of others to get pushed out. I have some Blizzaks sitting in the basement waiting to go on, hopefully tomorrow.
Old 01-15-08, 08:20 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats the way to have some fun with minimal impact on the tires. We don't get much snow, so i rarely get to do any donuts
Old 01-15-08, 09:29 AM
slimlma04
Rookie

oh i have fun with the LS in the snow, it's not the best handler but take trac off and just go with the flow....I live in NYC so we dun get much snow especially this year, but i have a house in the catskills, so go up there and theres at least a foot in the winter...i love it....
Old 01-15-08, 12:15 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice pictures Suneet! Your HIDs on the snow look so cool...
Old 01-15-08, 12:25 PM
slimlma04
Rookie

your corners are hid too?..or is that just the reflection from the other ones.... if they are where would i get them??
Old 01-15-08, 01:42 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Those actually aeren't HIDs! They're just PIAA extremes. But they do look cool, I can't wait to get HIDs.

The corner bulbs are not HIDs, they rae just PIAA light bulbs. They have a blue coating on the bulb to give that white color.. it reduces light output though.
Old 01-15-08, 04:09 PM
Klierslc
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have had a good bit of snow here in ID, and the LS with all seasons on it is doing just fine......

Not the best performer out there, but I haven't spun out or been stuck yet.....
Old 01-15-08, 04:13 PM
Dutch
Pole Position

the trac control helps me alot! they dont plow all the roads here(including mine) so the only parts of the actual road surface i see is where the tires meet the road. everything else is packed down ice, its tricky parking when you have to park on the road, gotta keep from sliding sideways and hitting a curb or another car (when parallel parking)

cell phone pic(all i have)

Old 01-15-08, 04:39 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Klierslc
We have had a good bit of snow here in ID, and the LS with all seasons on it is doing just fine......

Not the best performer out there, but I haven't spun out or been stuck yet.....
What tires are you running?

I have Yokohama Avid V4s on my LS.

They do OK on snow. I haven't been stuck yet, but I did have a scary moment where I was on a street, I came to a complete stop, and then the car just started sliding by itself into the curb.. The only way out of it was to put the car in reverse and go back very slowly

On ice though? These tires are terrible. I'm sure there are other all-seasons out there that do much better, but I don't think these Yokos do very well.

I went skiing 2 weeks ago and on some black-ice early in the morning the car started to fish tail....
Old 01-15-08, 04:40 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dutch
the trac control helps me alot! they dont plow all the roads here(including mine) so the only parts of the actual road surface i see is where the tires meet the road. everything else is packed down ice, its tricky parking when you have to park on the road, gotta keep from sliding sideways and hitting a curb or another car (when parallel parking)

cell phone pic(all i have)

Wow that is some insane snow! It isn't nearly that bad out here, it snows like 4 times a year or something, so I'm not too worried.

I am thinking about getting some better winter tires next season on a second set of wheels though. They'll come in handy when driving up the mountain to go skiing.

Quick Reply: My LS' first time in the snow.. pics