LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Aftermarket amp with factory radio?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-08, 06:40 PM
en11871
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Aftermarket amp with factory radio?

Hello Guys,

Is there a harness that can connect an aftermarket amplifier to the factory Pioneer radio in the 1996 LS400? I hope it is even possible for I do want to keep the factory radio. If that is possible, can an amp fit where the old Pioneer amp was? I know that the pioneer amp is located underneath the passenger seat. Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 01-10-08, 07:58 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can keep the factory radio with an aftermarket amp. What you will have to do is have someone bypass the factory amp all together and tap the aftermarket into your stock radio. Bit of FYI, the factory radio will not put out nearly enough power to match the amp, and you amp may be prone to overheating. I have this problem with mine, however I am running 2 12" subs in the trunk too.
Old 01-11-08, 03:34 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I did it by taking out ther ear subwoofer which is useless andyway. You will use that whole as a port.
Take the wires that go the stock sub, and use them as low level inputs on your amp, if the amp has it( most do).
You will have to run a power wire from the battery which is easy.

I like the factory radio look and would not change it for anything. Most aftermarket radios are agly as hell.
I am running two 10s and it is OK. not too much, not too little. I tried a 12 inch bazooka and that didnt work too well.

Good luck
Old 01-11-08, 05:37 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do what tbilisi79 said. the only thing is, many higher end amps these days don't have speaker level inputs. you'll need a convertor to make it work right. they include outputl level controls to match the input on the amp.
this what you'll need:
http://cgi.ebay.com/CAR-AUDIO-RADIO-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-11-08, 05:40 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

if you need some recommendations on equipment to get, let me know.
Old 01-11-08, 08:54 AM
en11871
Driver

Smile

Psi,

Thanks for your reply and replies of others as well. Can you recommend me to parts needed? So this part in the link will plug right into the back of the factory Pioneer radio? I guess I'm curious also of how the back of the radio looks like. I'm a newbie so don't know if a special connection is between the factory radio and factory amp. I want to replace all the speakers also. Do I need specially wiring also or adapters or I can just drop the new speakers in? Thanks.
Old 01-11-08, 08:59 AM
en11871
Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by 19psi
if you need some recommendations on equipment to get, let me know.
psi,

...so what does the factory pioneer amp in my 1996 LS power? Does it power all 5 channels? Like I said before I would like to put the new amp in the same location at the factory amp, but don't know it that's possible because of the "vent" that is there.
Old 01-11-08, 09:59 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you can't "replace" the OEM amp since without it, the CD changer will not work.

you can however, add an aftermarket amp to power the speakers.
Old 01-11-08, 10:32 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by en11871
Psi,

Thanks for your reply and replies of others as well. Can you recommend me to parts needed? So this part in the link will plug right into the back of the factory Pioneer radio? I guess I'm curious also of how the back of the radio looks like. I'm a newbie so don't know if a special connection is between the factory radio and factory amp. I want to replace all the speakers also. Do I need specially wiring also or adapters or I can just drop the new speakers in? Thanks.
ok, that unit i liked you to will need to spliced into the signal wire from the factory sub. it's just two wires, very very easy. you can do this right there under the parcel shelf inside the trunk. then get a set of RCA cables to go from that convertor to the amp.

your speakers are 4" in size. most typical aftermarket speakers will fit right into the stock door pods. you will have to removed the door panels to replace them.
you can use the stock wiring.

i don't know if the stock amp powers all speakers or just hte sub in the pioneer systems. i believe in the nakamichi systems that's true, and i think in pioneer it's just the sub, but you have a ucf20, so one of the 20 guys will have to chime in on that.

for good quality stuff at a good price check out diamond audio.

do you want to add a new couple of subs too? do you need your door speakers louder than what they are now or are you ok with their volum and just need more clarity?
i'll link you to some stuff after we figure out what your goal is.
Old 01-11-08, 10:42 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

ucf2x cars have amps powering all 5 channels, and the amps are necessary in order for the CD changer to function.
Old 01-11-08, 03:25 PM
en11871
Driver

Smile

Drifter,

Thanks for your time. OK, my goal (nothing big) is to keep the factory radio but use an aftermarket amp and replace the speakers and the subwoofer. I plan to use the same size and location. I'm not doing anything crazy, so extra subs and things like that...LOL. So any advice will be definitely appreciated.
Old 01-11-08, 03:28 PM
en11871
Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
ucf2x cars have amps powering all 5 channels, and the amps are necessary in order for the CD changer to function.
...so the only way to use the factory changer is to keep the factory amp?
Old 01-11-08, 05:22 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

use a clean sweep through jl. already redid all my audio hehe. ripped out the original amp, deck, speakers, and what not. been rewired with monster wires, cdt speakers, eclipse amp, kicker sub, rockford fosgate amp, rockford 1farad cap. but i think i will be lookin around for a 12w3v2 D2 since the kicker free air is not doing it for me
Old 01-11-08, 05:41 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

yeah i dont think he's going to do all that. he just wants a bit better sound.

ok, here's what you need to do. keep the original amp wired in. you'll need a wiring schematic to find out which wires are the input signal audio wires. you'll tap into those with the convertor and send that signal to a 5 channel amp.
that amp will power all 5 speakers in your car.

you'll want to repalce the factory sub with something a bit heavier duty. search on here for some threads about just such a thing.
the amp would be best in the trunk, there are quite a few good spots in there that you can put it so it won't be in the way.
Old 01-11-08, 07:07 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://xplayazplayzonx.multiply.com/.../Wire_Diagrams

Wire diagram for you :]. click on which picture you want to see. than click on the resolution at the bottom of the picture to make it bigger :]. happy installing hehe.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket amp with factory radio?