LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

DIY: 98-00 LS400 Navigation System Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-07, 05:47 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default DIY: 98-00 LS400 Navigation System Update

As many of you may know, this is a hard drive based system and the only way to update it is to buy a whole new hard drive. Well I picked one up over the past week and installed it.

Tools needed:

10MM Socket wrench
Small Screwdriver - Magnetic works best

Where To Buy Update?

Sewell Lexus of course!

http://www.lexus-parts.com/parts_detail.asp?id=88792

Make sure you keys are NOT in the ignition while doing this!

I read in one of the threads that the ECU for the Naviagtion was in the trunk behind the tire changing box - WRONG!

The ECU is on the Driver's side underneath the mats and is held in my 3 10MM bolts. As Pictured - sorry for the messy trunk, I had no idea it was there until I pulled the mats up.

Name:  Navi.jpg
Views: 3079
Size:  73.7 KB

What I have circled in:
RED - Are the bolts you will need to unscrew. There is one behind the carpet that is not shown in the picture.
Orange - Are the cables that you must unscrew in order to pull the unit out, and yes it helps for what is next to come.
Yellow - Is where the Hard Drive is located.

I have stolen this picture from Kansas, but I hope he does not care.

Name:  Nav20hard20disk20instructions.jpg
Views: 2433
Size:  32.9 KB

This is the front of the navigation unit. You will need to push the flap up and remove two screws underneath. Once done, pull the peice off and you will see the Hard Drive. Pull the metal clip on the hard drive down unsecuring it, then it is ready to be pulled out.

Now you just re-assemble the unit with the New Hard Drive making sure it is securely in place by locking the metal clip into place. If not secure then it could lead to damage to your whole navigation system. It doesnt matter which wires you hook up first, but make sure you remember which ones were hooked up where. The bolts it down.

Now dont go and power the car on just yet, you have to wait until the car can recognize the new unit. Sewell gives you a list of instructions for this but just in case I have taken pictures of the instructions as well. I sadly have left the camera at home and can't get the pictures of the instructions until Wednesday.

Bare with me until I can finish this up.
Old 12-27-07, 05:55 PM
chubby
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh wow i bet you can make some $$$ by duplicating the data on other hard drives hah
Old 12-27-07, 09:17 PM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

cool...i've been waiting or this...

is this the 2004 update??

i was told it was the last update made for our car....and i was quoted $285 from a dealer in my area!
Old 12-27-07, 10:02 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by heyhowyado
cool...i've been waiting or this...

is this the 2004 update??

i was told it was the last update made for our car....and i was quoted $285 from a dealer in my area!
Thats what it is. Ill post the rest of the instructions soon.
Old 01-05-08, 09:06 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

This procdeure should only be if you have the 1998 Version of the hard drive...

Turn the Ignition key to the "ACC" position and a screen will appear stating that the system has detected a new software. Touch the "Yes" button.

The process will take two minutes and it is normal for the screen to go on and off during the update.

When the procedure has been completed, a screen will appear stating the version of the software that has been installed.

Also, you might have to calibrate the navigation, but did not have to.

If you have a newer version of the navigation you should only have to plug and play the hard drive, which is what happened with me.

Hope this helps anyone who wants to update their existing navigation.
Old 01-05-08, 04:30 PM
heyhowyado
Pole Position

this is cool....thanks...
what do you think of the update???? was it worth the $??
Old 01-06-08, 12:37 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by heyhowyado
this is cool....thanks...
what do you think of the update???? was it worth the $??
If you live in a big area yes. it doesnt pick up little towns like mine, but it updated a larger town called Lexington in my state. It now picks up more than only two counties, unlike the 2002 Update. The roads are actually named, other than just the Road number, and it has more main roads. I like the update for it to be factory, but any aftermarket would be so much more effective.

I also noticed that the position of the car is less prone to go off of the road...I say its worth the money because it now has all the information I need for all the traveling I do.

Too bad you cant get an aftermarket navi to display on the original factory screen.
Old 01-06-08, 01:03 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Great info, THANX for sharing.
Old 05-15-08, 09:43 AM
srtdc
Driver School Candidate

Default Update navigation 2000 LS400

Thank you for all the great info and sharing. I just inherited the car this week - a real newbie. Where can I purchase an updated hard drive? Mine says 1999, although the car is a 2000.
Old 05-16-08, 09:29 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by srtdc
Thank you for all the great info and sharing. I just inherited the car this week - a real newbie. Where can I purchase an updated hard drive? Mine says 1999, although the car is a 2000.
Sewell sells them: http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...id=88792&all=Y

The current Sewell discount code for clublexus members is on https://www.clublexus.com/index.php?...=27&Itemid=179

The last nav update for 90-00 Lexus cars is from 2004 - four years ago and way out of date.

The money might be better spent on an aftermarket navigation product. These days $300 will buy you a darned good portable aftermarket nav that announces street names and has millions of up-to-date POI's.

An alternative might be to replace your Lexus nav system with the climate control and Pioneer radio head unit that was standard in 2000. My understanding is that it is plug and play although I can't guarantee it.

Or you could buy the standard climate control unit (available on eBay) and install a double DIN indash unit below it. Doing this can run over $1K but can give you DVD/CD/MP3/sat radio and iPod control

There are lots of options.

Last edited by Kansas; 05-16-08 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-21-09, 06:36 PM
b8b
Rookie

Any updates to this? Are there any better alternatives?
Old 05-15-10, 04:03 PM
ls400rgr
Rookie

Originally Posted by b8b
Any updates to this? Are there any better alternatives?
Just back from a year in afghanistan - got check hard disk error on '99 lexus ls400 nav display. Will replacing the the hard drive with the '04 version described above solve problem?
Old 05-16-10, 05:54 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by ls400rgr
Just back from a year in afghanistan - got check hard disk error on '99 lexus ls400 nav display. Will replacing the the hard drive with the '04 version described above solve problem?
The navigation problem diagnosis section in my 00 LS repair manual set actually does say to replace the hard drive in this situation. You might try removing and reinstalling the existing hard drive before you buy a new one.

If you have a friend with a 98-00 GS or LS with OEM nav, ask if you can pull his hard drive and try it in your LS -- that's how a friend and I sometimes troubleshoot problems ... we switch components between our cars.
Old 05-16-10, 02:40 PM
ls400rgr
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kansas
The navigation problem diagnosis section in my 00 LS repair manual set actually does say to replace the hard drive in this situation. You might try removing and reinstalling the existing hard drive before you buy a new one.

If you have a friend with a 98-00 GS or LS with OEM nav, ask if you can pull his hard drive and try it in your LS -- that's how a friend and I sometimes troubleshoot problems ... we switch components between our cars.
Went to Tampa Lexus - they pulled the box told me I did not have a disk in the slot???? - The error reading now is (when you hit the MAP guide button) is "cannot read data - confirm your card". When I mentioned ordering the part referenced in the above quote, they said it is not in the system any longer. I have also had a couple of times in the 48 hours I have been back where the tackometer or speed gauge do not register until I have driven for a few miles. Any thoughts?
Old 06-03-10, 12:53 PM
deecount
Driver School Candidate

I just tried ordering the 2005 nav hard drive update from Sewell for my new (to me) 98 LS400. I was called a short while later and informed that the hard drive can no longer be ordered. So now I'm stuck with a September 99 map? Any idea where this part can be ordered from someone that has it in stock?

Quick Reply: DIY: 98-00 LS400 Navigation System Update