LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Need front struts and/or springs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-07, 05:51 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need front struts and/or springs?

First of all, I did a search and 1000s of topics came up on springs/struts and I seen nothing really pertaining to my questions.....

I have not had my LS400 very long and have only driven it a couple of times. I have started to notice something. When on level grounds, the rear of my car seems to be higher than the front (no, it does not have the air suspension). Also, the front suspension seems to be low on "travel" and not really big on absorbing the bumps. When I press down on the front corners, the car really does not go down all that much. Its like the front suspension is too stiff and I want it "bouncy", but not too bouncy. I would like to just have it back like it was when it was new. I am assuming that OEM struts/springs would help, but I am not sure how much $$ this will encompass.

Strange, but my last LS400 was identical, so I am not sure if this is simply normal or not? I am wondering if perhaps my front springs and/or struts are needed to be replaced? I am wanting the softest/smoothest ride possible.

Now the steering it still fine... no unusual noises over bumps, like my old LS400 had.

Thanks.

Here is a photo of the car when its setting with the front-end up hill... it looks like its setting high here, but when on the level (the lower photo) it sets lower than the rear....
Sorry, these are the only photos I have now, but I will take more full shots of it on my next day off....

Last edited by 91LS400LEX; 12-22-07 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-22-07, 08:45 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

wow my car is much diff than urs lol, and i just have kyb shocks/struts with H&R springs. thats my car in the sig WITHOUT a drop.
Old 12-22-07, 09:44 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

91Lex,,

that is pretty much normal for alot of the earlier first gen LS's. They seemed to have an incredible amount of wheel gap, and the 15" stock wheels didn't help the profile either. I am assuming that you are still using the stock size 15" wheels? The test for shock/springs is to bounce each corner of the car to check for travel. Looks like you have already done so. If the car is really "bouncy" and you can bottom out the shock(tap sound when you hit the top of shock bouncing it up and down) , then you need shocks. Springs, generally would not be a problem, unless you plan on lowering the car or the car continues to bounce for more tthan 3 seconds after you go over a speed bump. If this is the case then springs are in order. Some of the cars had a button when you could adjust between sport setting as well as a comfort setting. Do you have this in yours? What is it set to? While you did give us alot of info for your question, and you did go thru the search. The questions I have asked could affect your answer as well. OEM Shocks/springs WILL restore the car back to the "normal ride". Couple that along with new suspension bushings, and you are good to go. This is gonna be a very expensive replacement, if you go thru the dealer to have done(roughly $2200). You could check out some fo the OEM parts supppliers, and find a mechanic to do the work, however it is still gonna run you quite a bit.

wow my car is much diff than urs lol, and i just have kyb shocks/struts with H&R springs. thats my car in the sig WITHOUT a drop.
You also need to remember that your shocks were bad and you actually had broken coils on your springs before the new install. Oh,,BTW H&R springs DO drop your car 1". Remember?? LOL!!!!

Last edited by trukn1; 12-22-07 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-22-07, 10:14 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Trunkn for that info. Yeah, I still have the stock 15 inch on there. As far as "bouncy" goes, far from it.... the front is hard to even press down and it comes back up and stops instantly and as mentioned, it look to be setting lower in the front than the back. The back seems fine... it still has the original struts and it presses down easily, rebounds once, without bouncing and seems pretty supple, but its not as "bouncy" as I have seen others. Its strange for me, because I prefer a soft and even a little floaty/bouncy ride, but I tend to buy cars that are the opposite, even the luxury ones- then there are people that have soft riding cars and want a firm ride. lol. I had a gen 1 LS400 pass by me the other day and it was literally bouncing on the wavy road we were on... the suspension appeared to be very soft. Maybe it had the air suspension set on the comfort mode? My car does not have the air suspension with the controls on the console.. it just has the standard strut system. I still do not have any noises from my steering or suspension (yet anyway)... lol. I was hoping that the new springs (and pass on the bushings for now) may bring up the front a little higher than it is now and the new struts would soften up the ride, if the old ones have lost their suppleness. Most struts/shocks get soft/bouncy when they wear out, but it seems like every car I get, when they wear out, they get too firm.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by trukn1
91Lex,,

that is pretty much normal for alot of the earlier first gen LS's. They seemed to have an incredible amount of wheel gap, and the 15" stock wheels didn't help the profile either. I am assuming that you are still using the stock size 15" wheels? The test for shock/springs is to bounce each corner of the car to check for travel. Looks like you have already done so. If the car is really "bouncy" and you can bottom out the shock(tap sound when you hit the top of shock bouncing it up and down) , then you need shocks. Springs, generally would not be a problem, unless you plan on lowering the car or the car continues to bounce for more tthan 3 seconds after you go over a speed bump. If this is the case then springs are in order. Some of the cars had a button when you could adjust between sport setting as well as a comfort setting. Do you have this in yours? What is it set to? While you did give us alot of info for your question, and you did go thru the search. The questions I have asked could affect your answer as well. OEM Shocks/springs WILL restore the car back to the "normal ride". Couple that along with new suspension bushings, and you are good to go. This is gonna be a very expensive replacement, if you go thru the dealer to have done(roughly $2200). You could check out some fo the OEM parts supppliers, and find a mechanic to do the work, however it is still gonna run you quite a bit.