LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1991 Lexus LS400 - need new struts HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-07, 04:37 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

GR-2 are nice struts. I wouldn't go Monroe or Tokico based on the feedback I've seen on this forum. General consensus is that the KYBs are the best and consistent.
Old 12-12-07, 06:21 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by avalon42
GR-2 are nice struts. I wouldn't go Monroe or Tokico based on the feedback I've seen on this forum. General consensus is that the KYBs are the best and consistent.
Thanks guys. You have helped me a great deal.

What's amazing is that the KYB's are half as much as the Monroes AND they're better. Not a hard sell at all.

I'll go with the KYB's. I think I'll get the lower ball joints considering I have 177,000 miles on my car and it seems those tend to go out on high mileage LS400's.
Old 12-13-07, 11:53 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

KYB is the OEM supplier to Toyota.

As for the hub, bearings are bearings. Just get an aftermarket bearing from BCA, Koyo, NTN or *** and you'll be fine.
Old 12-13-07, 09:41 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My old 1990 LS400 had KYB struts on the rear when I bought it. Someone had installed them before I bought it. I was very displeased with the ride comfort, because I remembered how nice my aunts 1990 LS400 rode with the original struts. I very quickly removed them, went to a local Lexus/Toyota dealer and bought OEM ones for $52. each.... then I took the car to my mechanics and they replaced them for $100. So, the total was about $180. after taxes. The ride was very smooth and supple. True, KYB makes the Toyota OEMs from what I understand, but the actual OEMs they make with the Toyota name on them are dampened to have a softer ride.

I actually still have the KYB's that I removed. I had them listed on ebay for sale, but no one wanted them. They are still laying around here somewhere... they have like about 1000 miles on them... good shocks if you like a stiff and harsh ride like an old 4x4 short wheelbase truck or a Jeep CJ5/7. Even on a Lexus, a performance strut can provide a harsh ride, which is unfortunate, since Lexus is known for smooth rides.

Originally Posted by 19psi
KYB is a good strut. look for them on ebay, they might be cheaper. i'm not sure as to why the tokico's aren't recommended. i haven't seen much on them but that's what i was going to go for when i buy some. typically in sports car world, tokico's are pretty highly regarded....

unless you need the bearings, don't worry about it. just get hte struts. the bearings last a long tme.
Old 12-14-07, 02:15 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 91LS400LEX
My old 1990 LS400 had KYB struts on the rear when I bought it. Someone had installed them before I bought it. I was very displeased with the ride comfort, because I remembered how nice my aunts 1990 LS400 rode with the original struts. I very quickly removed them, went to a local Lexus/Toyota dealer and bought OEM ones for $52. each.... then I took the car to my mechanics and they replaced them for $100. So, the total was about $180. after taxes. The ride was very smooth and supple. True, KYB makes the Toyota OEMs from what I understand, but the actual OEMs they make with the Toyota name on them are dampened to have a softer ride.

I actually still have the KYB's that I removed. I had them listed on ebay for sale, but no one wanted them. They are still laying around here somewhere... they have like about 1000 miles on them... good shocks if you like a stiff and harsh ride like an old 4x4 short wheelbase truck or a Jeep CJ5/7. Even on a Lexus, a performance strut can provide a harsh ride, which is unfortunate, since Lexus is known for smooth rides.
did you ever consider that perhaps they were blown...?

and OEM LS4 shocks from the dealer are NOT $52, the ones closest to that price are in fact the KYBs.
Old 12-14-07, 05:41 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

how much for those kyb's? i need to stiffen up the rear anyway...
Old 12-14-07, 06:16 AM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

I am assuming since they were only like 4 months old and that they had less than 1000 miles on them, that they were not blown.

I am not sure about there, but I know that in 2004 I indeed did pay $52.00 each for OEM struts from my Lexus dealer, which also has a Toyota dealer. I am assuming that they have either went up in price since I bought these, or they are higher out there, but I do clearly remember what I personally paid for them and it was $52.00 each. Thanks.

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
did you ever consider that perhaps they were blown...?

and OEM LS4 shocks from the dealer are NOT $52, the ones closest to that price are in fact the KYBs.
Old 12-14-07, 06:23 AM
Lexushead
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced all 4 with KYB-GR2 in July because one oem in the rear were leaking. The ride definitely stiffer but the handling is better as well. The reason I choose KYB is due to cost. I rather have the OEM ride. Paid 239.5+12.00 shipping for all 4. From Ebay.
Old 12-14-07, 06:45 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am assuming since they were only like 4 months old and that they had less than 1000 miles on them, that they were not blown.
Doesn't really matter how long you had them, but the manufacture date is most important. Could have been that they were manufaturer poorly, or had come from a bad batch. I personally were thru 2 complete pairs (8 shocks) in under 6 months with another brand (Tokico) in under 6 months. For things associated with suspension, I don't buy used parts, so ALL of my parts were brand new. My car is only moved every other weekend, and I don't drive her hard. Yes the OEM Kyb's are manufactured to be a little more softer,, is a fact. You paid $52 each from a dealer, you did not get the OEM shocks. I know you say that the dealership had a Toyota dealership attatched. I can almost guarantee that you also have the aftermarket struts for that price. Not saying you are wrong but from a Lexus dealer only, the OEM shocks run close to $98 each. Even here on this site www.lexuspartsonline, which sells a little cheaper than most dealers, they are $96.18. Bottom line,, you got OEM for the price you did,,you got a steal. The aftermarket KYB's that you can pick up from Pepboys are a little more stiff than stock, but will also handle alot better as well.

I myself have the aftermarket ones, and my car doesnt handle like a 4X4 by any means. A little stiffer true, ride comfort,, not smooth lexus like,, but not far from it. Responsiveness alot better than stock. To each his own. Good luck with your choices people. I can only relate to my own pocket breaking experiences.
Old 12-14-07, 10:24 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

I am not sure about there, but I know that in 2004 I indeed did pay $52.00 each for OEM struts from my Lexus dealer, which also has a Toyota dealer. I am assuming that they have either went up in price since I bought these, or they are higher out there, but I do clearly remember what I personally paid for them and it was $52.00 each. Thanks.
typing in bold doesnt make you right

list price for 95-00 LS400 front strut (ONE) is ~$134.
Strut, ls400, w/o pneumatic shocks - ls400 - LS400 95-00 $134.15
list price for 90-94 LS400 front end (ONE) is ~$120.
Strut, w/o pneumatic shocks, standard - ls400 - LS400 90-94 $120.22
even carson isnt giving more than 15% off TOPS, so im pretty confident you didnt get OEM shocks for more than 1/2 off
Old 12-14-07, 12:18 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
typing in bold doesnt make you right

list price for 95-00 LS400 front strut (ONE) is ~$134.

list price for 90-94 LS400 front end (ONE) is ~$120.

even carson isnt giving more than 15% off TOPS, so im pretty confident you didnt get OEM shocks for more than 1/2 off
Then why is Midas charging me $415 for the "strut assembly" for basically 2 front Monroe struts when 2 OEM Lexus front struts are only $240??

Bottom line. I want the softest ride possible. I'm surprised there isn't an aftermarket strut that can duplicate the ride of a Lexus strut. This isn't rocket science is it?

Last edited by Sportznuts; 12-14-07 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-14-07, 12:22 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

because they like to rip ppl off? go with KYB and u'll never regret it.
Old 12-14-07, 01:08 PM
Sportznuts
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
because they like to rip ppl off? go with KYB and u'll never regret it.
Just about every quote I've heard says the KYB are a "stiffer ride".

I see you have KYB struts. How does the ride compare to the stock ride?

Called Lexus, they quoted me $142 for the fronts, $172 for the rears.

Wait a second, I forgot to ask if the price was each or for the pair.
Probably each knowing Lexus.

Last edited by Sportznuts; 12-14-07 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-14-07, 03:02 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think I paid in the $52.00 apiece range for OEM but that was awhile back. Toyota has raised their prices quite a bit.

I have gone thru this process 4 times on 3 LS vehicles.

The oldest 90 model did 100,000 K or so on Tokicos but has now gone back to oem. I learned and went with OEM on my 94 LS.

The 96 LS in my family has replaced oem's as well.
Old 12-14-07, 03:10 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportznuts
Just about every quote I've heard says the KYB are a "stiffer ride".

I see you have KYB struts. How does the ride compare to the stock ride?

Called Lexus, they quoted me $142 for the fronts, $172 for the rears.

Wait a second, I forgot to ask if the price was each or for the pair.
Probably each knowing Lexus.
people comment on how soft the ride is in my car, and when i tell them they are aftermarket replacements, the looks on their faces is priceless.

Quick Reply: 1991 Lexus LS400 - need new struts HELP!