LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Amsoil 0W-30 Signature Series=Better MPG!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-07, 09:30 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Amsoil 0W-30 Signature Series=Better MPG!

Just changed my oil using New Amsoil product.
Gas mileage went up 2.7 MPG
It was really unbelievable. I've driven the same trip dozens of times never getting more than 26.8 MPG. This time I got 29.5.
As an added bonus, smoother and with more power.

A 10% MPG increase =$6-7 per tankful.

http://www.amsoil.com/articlespr/2007/pr_SSO.aspx
Old 11-24-07, 11:33 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

not surprising but id be hesitant running such a lightweight oil for a lot of miles.

hrmmm, maybe il look into it for my next change...
Old 11-24-07, 11:41 AM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nearly 30mpg in a V8???? WOW! Im pretty sure thats better than any of the new ls460s including the hybrid
Old 11-24-07, 12:51 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I run Valvoline Full Synn and get great gas mileage if i drive it right.
Old 11-24-07, 02:28 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
not surprising but id be hesitant running such a lightweight oil for a lot of miles.

hrmmm, maybe il look into it for my next change...
It's not a lightweight oil. It's a 30 weight. Also, I am highly skeptical of the OP's claims. No oil in the same viscosity range is going to affect mileage by almost 3 mpg. There have to be other factors at play, like different atmospherical conditions or different gasoline to make that big of a difference.
Old 11-24-07, 05:35 PM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sonyman
It's not a lightweight oil. It's a 30 weight. Also, I am highly skeptical of the OP's claims. No oil in the same viscosity range is going to affect mileage by almost 3 mpg. There have to be other factors at play, like different atmospherical conditions or different gasoline to make that big of a difference.
I'm usually a skeptical person too Sonyman... I wasn't even looking for better mileage when I changed it. Wanted a longer oil change cycle (1 year). This was the first time I used a 0W syn oil. Looks and pours like water.

As usual, I was playing with the trip computer and noticed that my tank mileage was WAY up (just filled up). I was literally in awe when I reached my destination.

Like I said, I've driven the same route literally a hundred times (90 miles) and the mileage rarely varied more than a couple MPG with the max just under 27. As for atmospheric conditions, there was no wind, always use the same gas (Shell 92). My car only has 55k on it. Freshly tuned (plugs) along with a BG44k treatment a month ago.

Literally, Your mileage may vary. I'm only reporting what I see.
Old 11-24-07, 05:38 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexusnutt
I'm usually a skeptical person too Sonyman... I wasn't even looking for better mileage when I changed it. Wanted a longer oil change cycle (1 year). This was the first time I used a 0W syn oil. Looks and pours like water.

As usual, I was playing with the trip computer and noticed that my tank mileage was WAY up (just filled up). I was literally in awe when I reached my destination.

Like I said, I've driven the same route literally a hundred times (90 miles) and the mileage rarely varied more than a couple MPG with the max just under 27. As for atmospheric conditions, there was no wind, always use the same gas (Shell 92). My car only has 55k on it. Freshly tuned (plugs) along with a BG44k treatment a month ago.

Literally, Your mileage may vary. I'm only reporting what I see.
I see what you've posted, and I take it with a grain of salt. Don't think I'm being harsh or rude either; it just isn't normal to see such large gains and I remain skeptical. I'm also skeptical of your butt dynamometer.
Old 11-24-07, 05:49 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

What oil was in it before?

Sometimes one may also get a really nice batch of gas. Even using Shell V-power, I take the same route but it can vary a bit depending on conditions. Coolish days usually bring a few tenths better mileage typically but depending on gas. I wonder what our cars would do without the ethanol added.

I recall that some of the VVTi UZ's range from 25-30 at tops. This is on the higher end but still possible.
Old 11-24-07, 06:08 PM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sonyman
I see what you've posted, and I take it with a grain of salt. Don't think I'm being harsh or rude either; it just isn't normal to see such large gains and I remain skeptical. I'm also skeptical of your butt dynamometer.
Butt dyno? What a mature statement...and so scientific!
You must be expecting a lump of coal in your stocking!

Sheeeesh
Old 11-24-07, 06:15 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

as long as the fuel economy is per full tank, then it should be good enough!
Old 11-24-07, 06:19 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

If Amsoil were available down here, I'd give it a try myself to see, unfortunately not a single distributor of the stuff (and I've asked). I have used their fuel injection cleaner, and it is the best stuff I have used. Would love to use their ATF, too.

I did notice when I switched to German Castrol 0W30 earlier this year, a consistent gain after reseting my MPG each week of 1 MPG over previous. I am giving Redline 10W40 a try as of today and will see what pans out with my RX.

As far as something shooting up 3 MPG, I have seen something like that before after I used a combustion chamber cleaner (Nology PowerBoost and another one called Gas Extreme), however I was getting cruddy mpg at that time, so basically I was getting back what I lost. In addition, air temperatures were a bit cooler for better combustion.

Give it a few weeks and see if the mpg is consistent.
Old 11-24-07, 06:22 PM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RA40
What oil was in it before?

Sometimes one may also get a really nice batch of gas. Even using Shell V-power, I take the same route but it can vary a bit depending on conditions. Coolish days usually bring a few tenths better mileage typically but depending on gas. I wonder what our cars would do without the ethanol added.

I recall that some of the VVTi UZ's range from 25-30 at tops. This is on the higher end but still possible.
I was using Amsoil 5W-30. The 0W-30 was just released a month ago, so it's relatively new. I will report back if anything changes...

I also thought that 30 MPG was impossible until now. My son was with me and could not believe it either. Easy to see immediate differences with the trip computer on the '00. I had a '95 prior to this car driving the same route and never got better than 25 MPG (manual calc of course).

That's nice of the oil companies to finally give us a nice batch for the price we pay, eh??. Don't get me started on the whole Ethanol debacle!
Old 11-24-07, 07:57 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexusnutt
Butt dyno? What a mature statement...and so scientific!
You must be expecting a lump of coal in your stocking!

Sheeeesh
Your statement of "As an added bonus, smoother and with more power" is equally unscientific and unverifiable, so please, don't turn this into a cockfight.
Old 11-24-07, 08:28 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I have been running amsoil since 1986 and found that it will help with gas milege I use the 0-30 and 5-30 and never got close to 30mph on a 91 lexus ls400 and I am also running thier synthetic trans fluid in both the trans and power steering and rear end 75-90WT oil and still only 22-24 miles per gallon including a K&N air filter. I saw some one didn't know if amsoil was sold in his area you can now go direct to amsoil and order direct and have it delivered to your door. I also saw someone said that the oil is thin all snythetic oil is thin it runs like water at 60 60 below and 30 weight at 120 degrees and will protect your engine in all kinds of weather and so will Mobil one snythetic 15,000 mile extended which is now on the market. Some of the national brands are only 70-80% full synthetic the best are amsoil mobil one, royal purple, redline. If you run snythetic in your engine at 200,000-300,000 miles very little wear will show on your engine. And they now go 15,000 miles between oil changes on BMW Merceds Corvette and all high end cars using Mobil One oil. Snythetic motor oil is the way of the future
Old 11-24-07, 10:41 PM
SW07ES
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thousands of car and truck fleet managers across the nation have been evaluating synthetic motor oils for the past 37 years (since before most of you were even born). Most of them continue to use conventional oil in their fleet vehicles because the fuel economy, engine wear and stretched oil change interval advantages of synthetics are minor - too minor to justify their much higher cost.

Quick Reply: Amsoil 0W-30 Signature Series=Better MPG!